Homebrew Saginaw PS pump installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I finally got tired of the leaky, noisy Toyota PS pump. I've put two Napa pumps in and both lasted less than six months, killing two air pumps in the process. I really wanted to fit a Saginaw pump in my rig but I also needed to keep my air pump since my county requires me to pass emissions. So, I took the plunge and spent a day making this work. Fortunately I have a brother who works as a machinist at a hydraulic shop!

Here's the donor pump, pulled from a Jeep Cherokee in a wrecking yard for $30.

We wanted to use the OEM bracket if we could but obviously the holes wouldn't line up. The first thing we did was create an adapter bracket to try to bridge two of the mounting holes on the pump to one of the holes on the Toyota bracket. We came up with this. The hole in the middle is threaded.

As we were mounting the pump we noticed that we had to take a notch out of the Toyota bracket to allow clearance for the Sagniaw.

continued....

Last edited:
Here's the pump with our adapter attached to the OEM bracket:

With this adapter the second holes lined up, we just had to add a 1 inch spacer.

The pressures lines were .020" off from each other so we had to cut and do some silver soldering.
(Not too much later I just had a new pressure line made, the old one was cracked and leaky)

Installed!

Added a new return hose:

All buttoned up:

And, I was able to keep the air pump:

Last edited:
VERY nice job there mate! Should serve you well, but transplanting a Jeep part into a Cruiser cost you SEVERE stye points.

Nice work. I just did a Saginaw conversion on my 60 using the MAF bracket. I wish I'd seen this first!

How do you like the feel of the steering? Mine's great now. Full boost at idle and no more notchy steering.

Jys, did you have to modify your pressure line, too? Which pump did you use? MAF says will only work with specific pump?

RAY - Which pulley did you use ? MAF sells a wide groove pulley... Do I need it ?

I used a Saginaw pump from a 1982 Volvo 240 - $20 at the wrecking yard. The high pressure line from my cruiser screwed right in to the Volvo pump. It felt a little tight threading in but I was able to tighten the line down fully to the pump and it does not leak.

The Volvo Saginaw has a wide pulley on it but I'm using a regular skinny belt on it right now.

Here's the setup. My cruiser is an '82 and does not have a smog pump.

The forward most belt is a Gates TR22495 that runs from the crank, over the water pump and to the alternator. All critical items run from this one belt and if I carried only one spare belt, it would be this one.

The rear belt is a Gates 25-9540 (13mm x 1380mm). This belt runs from the crank, over the water pump and to the Saginaw pump.

I found the belt size I needed by making an adjustable fan belt by cutting an old fan belt and attaching a sectioned hose clamp to it with screws.

I put the pump in the orientation that I wanted it, tightened it down, installed the adjustable belt, tightened the hose clamp until the belt was tight, marked its tightened position on the hose clamp and then took the belt down to NAPA and told them that I wanted a belt that matched my adjustable one.

I picked up the pulley at the same yard where I got the pump. The Jeep pulley was very large, the one you see above is a GM. However, the bore on the GM pulley was too small so we had to make it a bit bigger. The GM pulley turned out to be almost exactly the same diameter as the Toyota.

As for the boost, I notice it most in low RPM situations, no more groaning or stiffness. I think the best part is, it's so cheap to replace.

Nice info, guys... Thanks!

Mine; from a 70 something GM truck or Nova, got it at Pep Boys with lifetime warranty.:grinpimp: Now, I like this pump adapter better than my home made.

i run a saginaw pump for a hydo system gives me a great feel @ low rpm truns ..... great info thanks

Well, I finally got tired of the leaky, noisy Toyota PS pump. I've put two Napa pumps in and both lasted less than six months, killing two air pumps in the process. I really wanted to fit a Saginaw pump in my rig but I also needed to keep my air pump since my county requires me to pass emissions. So, I took the plunge and spent a day making this work. Fortunately I have a brother who works as a machinist at a hydraulic shop!

Here's the donor pump, pulled from a Jeep Cherokee in a wrecking yard for $30.

IMG_0781.JPG

We wanted to use the OEM bracket if we could but obviously the holes wouldn't line up. The first thing we did was create a adapter bracket to try to bridge two of the mounting holes on the pump to one of the holes on the Toyota bracket. We came up with this. The hole in the middle is threaded.

IMG_0788.JPG

As we were mounting the pump we noticed that we had to take a notch out of the Toyota bracket to allow clearance for the Sagniaw.

IMG_0790.JPG

continued....

How do you adjust the belt???:hmm:

jvazquez53, My truck is an '82 so the PS belt also drives the alternator and the AC compressor. The alternator is the tensioner.

jvazquez53, My truck is an '82 so the PS belt also drives the alternator and the AC compressor. The alternator is the tensioner.

Alternator and ac compressor? When did the belt pattern change?

Last edited:
My '82 has the York AC compressor that mounts above the alternator on the passenger side of the engine. I believe this was a dealer option in '82.

Alternator and ac compressor? When did the belt pattern change?
It didn't change. The Toyota AC mounts below the alt and is driven by a dedicated belt.

The aftermarket AC's hang the compressor above the alt, below the alt, beside the alt, and use the same belt as the alt.

PS: Nice writeup, RayN! :beer:

My '82 has the York AC compressor that mounts above the alternator on the passenger side of the engine. I believe this was a dealer option in '82.

What??? Can you email or post up some pictures of this??? I have a York 210 sitting in my truck that I am trying to figure out the best way to mount.

It didn't change. The Toyota AC mounts below the alt and is driven by a dedicated belt.

The aftermarket AC's hang the compressor above the alt, below the alt, beside the alt, and use the same belt as the alt.

Gotcha. I thought he was talking about the stock setup, which I know has a dedicated belt.

Once again, excellent write up! Very clean install, and I bet most people wouldn't know that the saginaw wasn't a stock part.

This is a rad thread. Pictures really tell the story. I didn't see anything on this, but does this require the same dextron type fluid... and the same amount?

Yes, it uses ATF just like the stock one. I believe the reservoir is a little bigger so it holds a little bit more.

Ray

By the way, thanks for all the nice replies!

FYI, five days after the install my steering box started hemorrhaging. Apparently my added boost was a little too much for the 25 year old seals in the gear box. Rebuilding that is my next project, hopefully in a couple of weeks.

Ray

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom