?? What clutch have I got/need?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bassed in the UK. Have an American import fj40 with a 350 sbc conversion mated to a standard 3 sod Toyota box

Need a clutch urgently but require a part number....... Make? Is it a chevy part or Toyota??

10 spline clutch 1"1/8 across
Plate diameter 11"3/4

Bellhousing is chevy

anyone? :-(

In the USA, both Downey and Advance Adapters make a special 11" pressure plate and clutch disc for Chevota conversions. The Toyota hydraulics (clutch master cyl. and slave cyl.) do not have enough travel built-in to fully disengage a normal GM clutch. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what a 3 sod transmission is??? Please enlighten me!!

In the USA, both Downey and Advance Adapters make a special 11" pressure plate and clutch disc for Chevota conversions. The Toyota hydraulics (clutch master cyl. and slave cyl.) do not have enough travel built-in to fully disengage a normal GM clutch. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what a 3 sod transmission is??? Please enlighten me!!

3 SPD (speed)

The flywheel, pressure plate, bellhousing and release mechanism should be stock for the motor (Chevy).

Based on the disk diameter, it sounds like you have an early Chevy disk as well. IIRC, the 10-spline 1-1/8" hub was identical (or at least very close?) between the Toyota 3 speed and older Chevy transmissions.

The flywheel, pressure plate, bellhousing and release mechanism should be stock for the motor (Chevy).

Based on the disk diameter, it sounds like you have an early Chevy disk as well. IIRC, the 10-spline 1-1/8" hub was identical (or at least very close?) between the Toyota 3 speed and older Chevy transmissions.

Thanks! Will take it along to local american car spares shop & see what they come up with.

Local clutch reliming shop has similar size clutch but without the springs............ May use that as last resort..........

The "specialness" about this set up just seams to be the price and people's unfamiliarity with what they need and why. I'm not sure what resources you have available but the pressure plate is a GM low profile (Store Locator | NAPA Online).

You can use a GM 10 spline disc but to be technically correct, you should use a Toyota spline since the teeth are different. One is squared and one beveled (I can't remember which is which). I had a local clutch shop that took the Toyota spline and riveted new disc material on it for the Chevrolet. In actuality I think the stock Toyota disc is about the same size as a Chevrolet so I believe you could use the stock disc with no problem. There's isn't anything magic that I found other than the spline issue between the two.

So to summarize... stock Toyota disc and release bearing. Chevrolet low profile pressure plate.

What Nikp said above... x2 good info-

copy and paste from what I posted a few years back.

What I did.. i have the sbc setup and had to pull my motor several times before I got it right.
Chev clutch disc splines are cut different than a Toyota . (The difference is straight cut splines on the chevy verses an angle cut spline on the toyota.
I tore the center hub out of my clutch because it had worn on the input shaft.)
I tried a Toyota disc( with rubber instead of springs) and the inner hub would rub on the pressure plate. ( It was facing the correct side)

I had a toyota ( spring type) splined inner Clutch disc hub mated to a chevy clutch disc. Custom deal but no problem for any good clutch shop and same price. I used the chevy diaphram type pressure plate becasue it takes less throw from the slave to operate and chevy T/O bearing. I also used a curved cast clutch for to get the position closer to the slave as I used a AA slave bracket on the Chevy. Make sure you have good tight connections and no free play, with a good strong clutch return spring pulling straigh back perpindicular wtih the fork. it will save you alot of time. Ask me how I know.

Like I said ... I researched the lcml archives and found a zillion opinions. I have run into tons of chevy guys that are always crawling under their rig and fiddling with the cluthc adjustment. It just made sense to me to use the Toy center splined connection hub on a Chevy outer disc material.)

What I forgot to do was put in a new chevy ball pivot $10 on the inner bellhousing. Mine was worn and caused lots of end play when the fork would pivot and try to "walk".
Ball Pivots wear and cause longer throws than needed, small Item that gets overlooked. You need all you can get .. I have seen many a sbc conversion throw out bearing spinning away cause they are too close to the clutch fingers and touch and begin to spin and sing to you.

Lastly I used a pre 69 brake master cylinder ( as per Mark Whatleys years of experience ) to give me longer slave throw. Pre 69 Brake master( yes brake master cyl( bolts right up and to the clutch mount .THe diameter slightly larger than the slave diameter resulting in about a 1/2" more throw when the pedal is depressed.

post 4,5,6 is helpful tooo https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/255044-sbc-sm465-clutch-question.html

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom