Help with Birfield Identification (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Folks, I have 2 new Toyota Birfields and I am trying to figure out what is is what. The issue is that one shaft measures about 7 inches in length and the other measures 7 and 3/8 inches in length. Both have fine splines, but one is longer than the other. They were in boxes labelled:

43405-60014

and

43405-60016

I bought them both to put in a 1976 FJ40. I can post pics if anyone is interested, or if you think it would help.

Thanks

Don

1976 - 1978 had longer fine spline birfs. 1979 and later had the shorter fine spline birfs same as the mini truck. I'm assuming that is what you are seeing here. I know I have seen a picture of them side by side somewhere on here with measurements, but I can't seem to find it right now.

:cheers:

The longer one is standard equipment for the 76 and the shorter one is for later cruisers as mentioned above. The shorter one will fit, but you will have to grind some metal off the top and botom of the inside of the axle housing bell to fit, because the later birfields are a little wider and a little stronger. You will also need a fender washer and bolt to retain the end of the shorter birfield in the hub because they are too short to get the outer snap ring on with the longer hubs.

Anyone know where I can get another longer one for the 1976 (NEW ONLY and OEM Toyota)? I think I paid $400 for the longer one, would be willing to pay that for a new one if someone has one. Trying to keep it stock... Thanks Don

Last edited:
Anyone know where I can get another longer one for the 1976 (new Toyota)? I think I paid $400 for the longer one, would be willing to pay that for a new one if someone has one. Trying to keep it stock... Thanks Don
I have some. send me a message /

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom