buy me some spray paint and this is what happens. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2000UZJ

Where's My Hammer?
Threads
I finally did my wheels :bounce: :bounce2: :bounce:

well, the rest are sitting in the garage prepped and ready to go for the primer and paint. ive got a pretty good method down. its a few more steps but it takes the rim down to 100% bare alluminum. Ill post up a quick write up if asked. I only have 1 tire 100% done, it was my spare, and my beta tester for the method.

Hope you like it. (and yes, the chrome brush guard will be next on my list)

1: this morning...
2: later today when I finished.
3: ehh same shot, just different angle.
IMG_0573.jpg
IMG_0583.jpg
IMG_0584.jpg

not bad but your priorities need to be straightened out. That damn chrome manik bar needs to be painted like yesterday! :D

not bad but your priorities need to be straightened out. That damn chrome manik bar needs to be painted like yesterday! :D

You meant to say 'thrown in a dumpster', right?:confused:

Well he still needs a place to mount the lights.

Nick, wheel looks nice, get the rest done!

You meant to say 'thrown in a dumpster', right?:confused:

so ive thought many times. but yes, loud is correct. if i toss this peice, ill have to go to my peice of :censor: homemade light rack. and i know nobody wants to see that again. whew.

im putting the truck on a lift and finishing all the wheels. stop me now if im wrong. is rustoleum "high performance enamel" a suitable paint for rims? im gunna stop wheeling till i get some BFG's so they will only see road (and possibly dirt), or snatch some VHT at the autozone?

i like the lug nuts. I dont know how well spray paint will hold up to putting the wrench aroudn it and tightening it. any input on a special way?

Ill go with the condoms. Blair, good idea man. Ill pic some up at autozone. The paintittool resistant. I hitthe spare (beta tester) with the lug nut key and nothing happened. My expeirience with spray paint usuallyends up as super soft and scratchable paint. But not this stuff.

Wheels look good, I still have to do that to mine.

Please do write up your method and also let us know how well the finish holds up over the winter. I might do the same in the spring.

I gotta get the pictures of the stuff I used.

Write up after dinner, here are some shots from earlier (an hour or so) of my truck.hope ya like them

I love the finsih, the primer and spray I used is perfect! its really a clean finish. its very soft and smooth (not to sound gay haha).
DSC00910.jpg
DSC00917.jpg
DSC00925.jpg

UPDATED PRIMING STEP

Here is the write up guys.

Supplies are in first picture.

I did a 2 stage strip. I thought about just using acetone. but what if it doesnt strip 100% of the paint off and leaves little specs of paint and dirt still in the groves and scratches??? so i got some paint on stripper, it literally LIFTS the stuff out, even makes your nose bleed.

Stripper at work is the 2nd picture. works like a charm.

Sanding: using a med. wire brush on a drill (not cordless, mine died every 10minutes :mad: ) then going to 100 grit sand paper (non-clog), then pressure wash the rim off. inspect and see where your attention needs to be. move up to 320 grit sandpaper (non-clog also) and sand the WHOLE rim. go over a few times. wash again. dry.

Last step for primer prep: most think the rim is "clean", but dont let your eyes fool you. take a WHITE shirt, and put some water on it. rub the rim with alot of pressure...... black/grey stuff on the rag ehh? take rubbing alchohol or grease penetrating soap/stuff and wash the rim. then ya do the "clean test", if you prime over the dirty/grease, it wont bond to the rim, itll be more of a mold... therfor chipping, peeling, lifting, bubbling. whatever you wanna call it..

Priming: I sprayed 2 coats. the first one I dry sanded. then second I sprayed over for the smooth surface.

next post is painting. enough with prep
IMG_0605.jpg
DSC00908.jpg
DSC00898.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good. The Lambo's in the background aren't bad either! :cool:

painting:clap:

alright, normally now....

painting:
Rustoleum High Enamel Matte black

Looks great, goes on glossy, and dries matte (im sure thats same for all spray cans)

after prepping. i used a air compressor to blow the rim free of dust/dirt, or anything that might be laying on the primer (please make sure the primer is dry, you might make a mess if its not)
DSC00904.jpg
IMG_0580.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom