Canvas cover / poly cover experience - Lengthy with pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As I mentioned in my previous post, as soon as I got the trailer, I began looking for cheap /easy solutions for a cover. Not really a requirement, but it would be nice to have your haul dry.

I sought ebay first. I found "custom M416/M101" tarps for sale by a gent in CA. Based on his description, the tarps were of heavy duty canvas, treated for water resistance, and dimensionally accurate for said trailers. So, I ordered.
The canvas arrived very quickly. The grommet spacing was spot on accurate, and each grommet was reinforced for load. The canvas was definitely treated - heavy chemical smell, and residue on hands after handling. Definitely to be used outside only.

So, on the trailer it goes. My excitement soon became “are you kidding me…?” In summary, the canvas is short. Ideally, there would be a 2-3 inch overhang on each side of the trailer to facilitate good tiedowns, block water, etc. As received, the canvas was 77”x57”. As you see in the pics, <1”of overhang in length and about 1.5”in width. It seems he orders a stock 5x7 tarp and punches in the grommets (read lessons below).
P1020584.jpg

You can see the width is only 1.5in wider than trailer
P1020583.jpg

and length is about .5" in overhang. No way to seal the trailer.
P1020586.jpg

P1020585.jpg

Notified seller (miregresso on Ebay). Very good to work with. He would gladly accept the return, but I had other uses for it (kid’s sandbox).
More research found Tarps - Canvas Tarps, Vinyl Tarps, Heavy Duty Tarps, Blue Tarps, Flame Retardant Tarps - Tarps Wholesale. In short, a Heavy Duty (18mil) nylon core, vinyl coated tarp, custom made (dimensions) with 12”grommet spacing cost about $40 with a 48hr turnaround. I called them, as they never replied to my inquiry via email. I spoke to a lovely lady, told her what I wanted, gave her my CC number, and had the tarp in 48 hours.
P1020591.jpg

P1020590.jpg

Lesson:
-When ordering a canvas tarp, pay attention to the FINISHED SIZE. A 5x7 canvas tarp is not 5x7. That is the dimension before the edges are folded back.
-A 5x7 FINISHED SIZE works perfectly for this trailer.
-5x7 allows room for some “bows” to be added
-if used with "bows" need to address bunching in the back
Cannot comment on durability. The grommets definitely need to be reinforced. I plan on doing so with extra fabric and shoe-goo (each grommet and each corner).
Tows well without bows. No flapping (behind Suburban).
In summary, very positive experience with Mytarp. I’ll post reinforcement pics, pics of “bows” and any durability failures in this thread in the future.

The trailer and canvas are on their way to Wawa for some fly fishing. I'll report back on 1400 mile canvas durability along with some more detailed pics in a separate thread.

The trailer and canvas are on their way to Wawa for some fly fishing. I'll report back on 1400 mile canvas durability along with some more detailed pics in a separate thread.

Report back here! If the results are good, I may end up buying one myself.

Updated with pics post trip...

GLTHFJ60 - Trailer has returned. 1400 miles - no flats :)

The tarp worked flawlessly - with one exception. There is a small tear (wear-thru) one one corner. I examined the offending corner and found that there was a very sharp edge. I also did not reinforce the tarp corners in any way. The plan is to put on 2 additional layers of heavy canvas just in the corners where the tarp/tralier corner interface. Overall, I'm very satisfied. I'll post more pics. Likely will be the best $38 I would have spent.

OK. Here are the pics post 1500 mile trip behind a suburban.

Only issue I've found is a small hole as a result of a sharp corner on the trailer. I plan on "rounding" the corners with a couple of hits with the grinder. I will also reinforce the corners on the tarp (underside) with a layer of canvas glued on with ShooGoo. The 12" spacing of the grommets actually worked pretty well with the way I tied it down. The "b" side of the tarp also had some paint transfer from the trailer. The paint on the trailer is old, and wipes of the tarp with a paper towel, so no issues.

Overall, great $38.

P1020683.jpg

P1020685.jpg

P1020684.jpg

Last edited:
any more updates on the tarp? I am looking to do something similar.

Very cool.......You might use some scrap leather from a "hobby lobby" or craft store in your area for reinforcing the corners.....

I'm using leather for the corners of my soft tops (windshield area) and it works really well........:)

I glued sections of canvas on the inside, just where the corners are. I used "Shoe Goo" (BTW, this is the best stuff on earth). Tarp has been on and off about 20 times since the install. No issues. I'm happy. Still trying to figure out a method for a cross brace. Not really necessary, as there is no flopping around in the wind, but it would look more finished. Most of my loads do not exceed the top of the trailer, so I'd like to have a structure to stretch the tarp over.

uberhahn

Cheap easy cross brace, 1/2 thin wall pvc pipe, cut to length depending on how high you want you bow to be. Glue a T on each end and insert about four inches of pipe on either side of the T to keep the bow from falling back or forward. Make two of these and prop them under you tarp and no more rain pooling on the tarp! Cheap and easy!

Feil,

The PVC did nicely. Good idea. I didn't end up gluing any of the pieces together as I wanted to be able to break everything down for storage. Worked great. Initially, did did three cross-braces (front, middle, rear) independently, but they moved around. So i linked each side together with a full lenght pvc piece. works great, even in winter snow here in MI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom