Zomg! I worked on my truck tonight! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
With the cooler weather (relatively speaking) I found the incentive to actually do some work.

Got my rear brake line replaced with a new OEM version that's about 4" or so longer. Was a very messy job, but took less time than I was afraid it would. Also discovered that one of my rear calipers has the brake bleeder frozen. :doh:

(Fortunately the other one didn't, so was able to clear the air through that side).

Also sprayed about 2/3rds of my cargo area with Second Skin Spectrum. This stuff is flat out amazing, I used some in the :princess: rear quarter panels and doors a couple years ago and was amazed at the difference it made. With this stuff in my truck, it already is noticeably quieter and that's without the rear door panels or rear quarter panels in place. Oh, did I mention I also got the rear doors? :grinpimp:

So as of now I can wheel again. :clap:

Last edited:
Did you spay this inside or on the outside of the truck?

-A

Did you spay this inside or on the outside of the truck?

-A

Inside.

It can work as an undercoating, and I may go back and do some of the easily accessible areas with it underneath. Heaven knows I have enough, I ordered the 5 gallon bucket and have used maybe a gallon of it so far. I'm guessing I'll get through maybe 1/2 to 2/3rds. Of course I could use some of the rest for the :princess: truck, I do want to convert her rear cargo area to bedliner instead of carpet.... :hmm:

This stuff doesn't cease to amaze me, I got the door and rear quarter inner panels back in place, and drove it over to Knoll's house tonight. This is with maybe 2/3rds of the rear cargo area done, and no carpet in it. Anything below 60 and it sounded maybe slightly louder then when the whole thing was carpeted. While it might not help much, previously I had to have the radio set to 19-21 to barely hear it, now I can hear it set at 14-16. I can comfortably listen to it at 20.

Huge difference.

And here's where I sit today.

This is the back of the front door inner panel. I chose to cover this with Spectrum for a couple reasons. First off, the door panel is about twice the weight after adding the Spectrum. More weight = more sound dampening. Secondly, the extra stiffness and thickness of the panel eliminates the minor vibrations/rattling that you occasionally can hear from them. Finally, these are actually pretty exposed to the door interior, which tends to get wet when driving in rain/water. In the :princess: rig, one of her door panels were horribly stained up because the plastic covering the door panel had been torn and not sealed back up. By coating it, it basically makes it impervious to water, which is a good thing as it's basically just a cardboard like material that'll just soak water up.

You can see one of the third row panels in the upper right corner.

CIMG_2010-07-16-143859.jpg

I've got pretty much all the rear cargo area done, and am getting into the second row seat area. At this point I can't go much farther forward without pulling the front seats. I applied this area thick, as the first time I did it some areas that went on too thin peeled up (surprisingly few). According to Second Skin, you only want to apply it about 3mm thick, any thicker than that and you don't see any additional sound dampening benefit. Some areas I did apply thicker just to fill in gaps or beef it up. You can see the floor and the rear quarter panels.

CIMG_2010-07-16-143914.jpg

CIMG_2010-07-16-143920.jpg

CIMG_2010-07-16-143925.jpg

I decided to follow Ammo's comment/suggestion above, and experiment with using Spectrum as an undercoating. Theoretically this will sandwich the sheet metal and hugely reduce vibrations. The only area I could really get to was where the spare tire sits, but that's a large open area so might as well, right?

CIMG_2010-07-16-143941.jpg

I also got inside the front doors, but no pics of that.

Last edited:
Dude....

Sweet.... SOLD add to the to do list that never stops growing!

-Matt

Sweet.... SOLD add to the to do list that never stops growing!

Are you gonna bedline the interior of your truck or just add the sound deadening?

You can do the rear quarters and the doors with just a gallon of Spectrum. It's a bit on the thin side, but makes a huge difference. Good bang for the buck (especially the rear quarters).

Anyway, worked some more on my truck tonight and got a crucial component done. 1,000 intarwebz points to whoever can guess which two critical items are stored on this (one is easy to guess, one is hard). Bonus points to whoever can guess which two stock 80 series parts were sacrificed to make this (again, one easy, one hard).

Cool thing was this was all built from stuff I had laying around. Reuse, recycle, rebuild...right? :lol:

(G can't guess, he already knows 3 of the 4. :p )
CIMG_2010-07-18-204623.jpg
CIMG_2010-07-18-204615.jpg

E,

I'd use it inside the doors and maybe under the truck body... I already have 1/4" of sprayed Linex on the floor :)

-Matt

1,000 intarwebz points to whoever can guess which two critical items are stored on this (one is easy to guess, one is hard). Bonus points to whoever can guess which two stock 80 series parts were sacrificed to make this (again, one easy, one hard).

Cool thing was this was all built from stuff I had laying around. Reuse, recycle, rebuild...right? :lol:

(G can't guess, he already knows 3 of the 4. :p )

Spare Tire & Jack mount? Made from troop seat bracket and......

-Matt

80 series seat bracket

Rear crossmember support

As to what is stored? Don't know

I'd use it inside the doors and maybe under the truck body... I already have 1/4" of sprayed Linex on the floor :)

A gallon would probably serve your needs then. I might have a gallon left over when I'm all said and done, but I probably won't be completely done by McGrew.

Spare Tire & Jack mount? Made from troop seat bracket and......

80 series seat bracket

Rear crossmember support

As to what is stored? Don't know

Between the two of you, nailed it. :)

I'm planning on bolting my Hilift to the bracket, and it will act as the primary means of keeping the spare from bouncing around. I will probably also throw a couple of ratchet straps to keep the spare from being able to move up/down.

The rear crossmember support was nearly perfect. I did have to cut and reweld one side to make it all fit, but it fits perfectly now. So the bracket will have the 5 bolts for the seat bracket plus the seatbelt bolt. It won't go anywhere.

A gallon would probably serve your needs then. I might have a gallon left over when I'm all said and done, but I probably won't be completely done by McGrew.

Between the two of you, nailed it. :)

I'm planning on bolting my Hilift to the bracket, and it will act as the primary means of keeping the spare from bouncing around. I will probably also throw a couple of ratchet straps to keep the spare from being able to move up/down.

The rear crossmember support was nearly perfect. I did have to cut and reweld one side to make it all fit, but it fits perfectly now. So the bracket will have the 5 bolts for the seat bracket plus the seatbelt bolt. It won't go anywhere.

SWEET Drew and I will split the pts....

-Matt

Got some more work done. (Geez, this must be a record or something.... :doh: )

As of now have the floor bedlined. I probably didn't wait long enough for the Spectrum to dry, hopefully it'll continue to dry through the bedliner. They say to wait 30 days, almost a week is close enough right? :idea:

Got the spare tire mount installed. Because of the extra thickness of the bedliner and spectrum couldn't get all the bolt holes lined up, but got three in the floor and the one up top. Should be strong enough.

All in all, I really like the way that it came out. Looks ghetto-fabulous, but I can honestly say it didn't cost me a single dime to fab up, and was actually surprisingly easy to do so. :hillbilly:

Once it was all mounted up I threw my weight against it using the end of the Hilift as a lever (BIG lever). Could get the whole thing to twist some, but really not by much at all. Threw a strap I had on the tire that'll keep it from bouncing around should the worst happen and the Hilift came off, but I don't think it'll be a problem. It actually holds it on there nice and tight.
CIMG_2010-07-19-205027.jpg

Nice hi lift booty....

-Matt

Cute, isn't it? :lol:

Actually I originally put it on there to help pad the edge of the Hilift base, so it wouldn't dig into the floor too much and leave a mark. It ended up not even being on the floor though, which is cool, except now the base rattles every time I go over a bump. Gotta figure out something to do with that....

Wrap a small bungie cord under and back to the holes in the lift maybe.... I bungie everything that rattles if i can.

Zip-tied mine to shut it up.

Zip-tied mine to shut it up.

Mine's a really old one, looks like it'd need a rather big zip tie.

Bungie eliminated most of the noise. I'll dig around and see if I have a big zip tie somewhere....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom