Your Thoughts on the LC 250?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I also think it's more fun to drive than all the previous generations with it's torque dense hybrid drivetrain. Out of the box, it'll go places none of the others will as well, with the standard rear locker. Really impressed with this truck .
You are mix and matching generations. The 250 is not in the same line as the 80/100/200. Obviously, anything lighter-weight with less unsprung weight will be "more fun to drive" than something heavier duty. Hell, a RAV4 could be more fun to drive in many conditions. Sounds like, you should've gotten a 120/150/250 series instead of the 80/100/200. Don't get me wrong, they are both GREAT "lines" of vehicles. They are different and nobody had an issue until they gave them the same name.
 
You are mix and matching generations. The 250 is not in the same line as the 80/100/200. Obviously, anything lighter-weight with less unsprung weight will be "more fun to drive" than something heavier duty. Hell, a RAV4 could be more fun to drive in many conditions. Sounds like, you should've gotten a 120/150/250 series instead of the 80/100/200. Don't get me wrong, they are both GREAT "lines" of vehicles. They are different and nobody had an issue until they gave them the same name.
Don’t get me wrong, but the 70 is the heaviest duty Land Cruiser. IMO if you’re using the phrase “heavy duty” it’s best to mention the 70 because that’s literally the one that carries that label.
 
don't get me wrong but isn't the 70 the heaviest duty? prob best to mention the 70 if you're using the word heavy duty especially when talking land cruisers. imo
I already have a "heavy duty" 4x4. It has a diesel, manual, 40" tires, and solid axles. Everything folks say they want from a HD Land Cruiser. But, my HD 4x4 is not very fun to drive on the highway, so it gets trailered places by my "Light Duty" Prado.
20250919_111814.webp
 
You are mix and matching generations. The 250 is not in the same line as the 80/100/200. Obviously, anything lighter-weight with less unsprung weight will be "more fun to drive" than something heavier duty. Hell, a RAV4 could be more fun to drive in many conditions. Sounds like, you should've gotten a 120/150/250 series instead of the 80/100/200. Don't get me wrong, they are both GREAT "lines" of vehicles. They are different and nobody had an issue until they gave them the same name.
They are different and nobody had an issue until they gave them the same name.” Honestly, they should’ve put an 80/100/200 badge on the Station Wagons. Because they didn’t, folks now get bent out of shape, thinking Toyota pulled a fast one just because the “Prado” was dropped for the States and called it the Land Cruiser 250. My bet is if they bring the 300 to the States, they’ll also call it Land Cruiser, just with a shiny chrome 300 on the liftgate. The thing is, they do have the same name always have just different series numbers. Prado is just a fancy name for the light duty LC. Add the series badge on the cruisers, and everyone should be happy, right? Nah. The real issue is gatekeeping. all I gotta say is deal with it, Nuff said.
 
I've owned many of them, and it really comes down to the 'x50' series being the lighter-duty Land Cruiser. The Prado is highly respected in many parts of the world, and we only got it in the Lexus flavor until recently. We heavily considered the LX700h Overtrail before purchasing the GX550 Overtrail, and in many ways, the GX won out because of its more sporty look/feel and handling characteristics.

If I were picking between the two for a dedicated trail rig that I would actually wheel, the GX wins out in every way save the front locker, and that'll likely be an easy fix here in the near future. We loved the 200's we owned, and they will go down as some of my favorites, but the new 550 is the bees knees when it comes to a proper dual-use daily/off-roader. Ours will be purely a daily for my wife for the first few years, but I have every intention of building it out in time, and there are already parts on order lol. I am still trying to get used to the power plant, but in every other way it's a massive improvement.
 
the new 550 is the bees knees when it comes to a proper dual-use daily/off-roader.
That's exactly it. Everyone has different uses. The difference between a Heavy Duty vehicle and a Light Duty vehicle is weight capacity. A 250/Prado, "out of the box", will have vastly better ride and more "capable" than a heavy duty LC70 series. But the LC250 has a cargo capacity of less than 1,000 lbs. The LC70's cargo capacity is ~2500 lbs. The "capability" is in carrying a heavy load over rough terrain over thousands of miles over many years.

The Australians have had all three lines of Land Cruisers since introduction. They called the Light Duty line, the Land Cruiser Bunderra, actually. There are at least a dozen companies that convert Land Cruisers to Dual Cab with extended wheelbases for extra capacity. They always choose the Station Wagon or 70 series as the base vehicle, never the Prado.

My Land Cruiser Wagons are built up. Loaded, I'm about 2,000 lbs over curb weight plus towing. It's the Bees Knees for what I do. I don't daily drive any of them. I'd much rather daily drive a car than any SUV. I don't need carrying capacity on a daily basis.

I have nothing against Prados. I considered buying a GX460 and doing a Prado body conversion... I just don't need that type vehicle. Just like a lot of 250 owners don't need a heavy duty Land Cruiser. It's not the best tool for the/their job at hand.

PradoConversionFront_01.jpg
 
That's exactly it. Everyone has different uses. The difference between a Heavy Duty vehicle and a Light Duty vehicle is weight capacity. A 250/Prado, "out of the box", will have vastly better ride and more "capable" than a heavy duty LC70 series. But the LC250 has a cargo capacity of less than 1,000 lbs. The LC70's cargo capacity is ~2500 lbs. The "capability" is in carrying a heavy load over rough terrain over thousands of miles over many years.

The Australians have had all three lines of Land Cruisers since introduction. They called the Light Duty line, the Land Cruiser Bunderra, actually. There are at least a dozen companies that convert Land Cruisers to Dual Cab with extended wheelbases for extra capacity. They always choose the Station Wagon or 70 series as the base vehicle, never the Prado.

My Land Cruiser Wagons are built up. Loaded, I'm about 2,000 lbs over curb weight plus towing. It's the Bees Knees for what I do. I don't daily drive any of them. I'd much rather daily drive a car than any SUV. I don't need carrying capacity on a daily basis.

I have nothing against Prados. I considered buying a GX460 and doing a Prado body conversion... I just don't need that type vehicle. Just like a lot of 250 owners don't need a heavy duty Land Cruiser. It's not the best tool for the/their job at hand.

PradoConversionFront_01.jpg
''They always choose the Station Wagon'' Nah, plenty of Australians use the Land Cruiser Light Duty. ''But the LC250 has a cargo capacity of less than 1,000 lbs.'' Nah, it’s more. That also depends on what tires you’re running. Hell, a 4Runner moves mountains with the right tires. ''I don't daily drive any of them. I'd much rather daily drive a car'' Enjoy your car. I’d rather daily a Cruiser.

Workhorse.webp
 
Last edited:
I'm talking about this conversion. Re: Cargo capacity, post your door jamb tire pressure sticker including the yellow weight reduction sticker.

spotted-this-lc200-with-a-full-rear-cab-conversion-near-san-v0-xevjocwf89be1.jpeg.webp
 
I'm talking about this conversion. Re: Cargo capacity, post your door jamb tire pressure sticker including the yellow weight reduction sticker.

View attachment 4038168
Nah, I don’t put much weight on the payload numbers. They’re usually set by Toyota based on the door jamb tire pressure, calculated tire load rating, minus the vehicle weight. So it’s not really a rating of anything related to the vehicle’s physical properties beyond the stock tires.
 
That's exactly it. Everyone has different uses. The difference between a Heavy Duty vehicle and a Light Duty vehicle is weight capacity. A 250/Prado, "out of the box", will have vastly better ride and more "capable" than a heavy duty LC70 series. But the LC250 has a cargo capacity of less than 1,000 lbs. The LC70's cargo capacity is ~2500 lbs. The "capability" is in carrying a heavy load over rough terrain over thousands of miles over many years.

The Australians have had all three lines of Land Cruisers since introduction. They called the Light Duty line, the Land Cruiser Bunderra, actually. There are at least a dozen companies that convert Land Cruisers to Dual Cab with extended wheelbases for extra capacity. They always choose the Station Wagon or 70 series as the base vehicle, never the Prado.

My Land Cruiser Wagons are built up. Loaded, I'm about 2,000 lbs over curb weight plus towing. It's the Bees Knees for what I do. I don't daily drive any of them. I'd much rather daily drive a car than any SUV. I don't need carrying capacity on a daily basis.

I have nothing against Prados. I considered buying a GX460 and doing a Prado body conversion... I just don't need that type vehicle. Just like a lot of 250 owners don't need a heavy duty Land Cruiser. It's not the best tool for the/their job at hand.

PradoConversionFront_01.jpg

Fair enough, but I don’t commute in a car, I absolutely hate being behind 18-wheelers, HD trucks and SUV’s at 80mph. And for heavy payload and towing I have a proper HD diesel truck, this leaves the medium duty SUV as the perfect daily and people hauler. Different strokes for different folks indeed.
 
You are mix and matching generations. The 250 is not in the same line as the 80/100/200. Obviously, anything lighter-weight with less unsprung weight will be "more fun to drive" than something heavier duty. Hell, a RAV4 could be more fun to drive in many conditions. Sounds like, you should've gotten a 120/150/250 series instead of the 80/100/200. Don't get me wrong, they are both GREAT "lines" of vehicles. They are different and nobody had an issue until they gave them the same name.
I'm not mixing and matching anything, I'm simply saying its more fun to drive (imo) then the previous generations. The vehicle is similar in size and weight to the rest of them. Nobody had an "issue"? LOL, do you think Toyota cares if you have an issue? Last I checked, they build Landcruisers, if they say it's a cruiser, it's a cruiser.
 
Last edited:
I think every Land Cruiser has its place. The 70 series, 250 and the 300 series all hold a different place. So, you cannot compare an LC300 to LC250 or an LC200 to LC250. The station wagon series is and was built for heavy duty work and thus will always have an edge over the 250. That is why components are bigger and stronger in the 300. It should not surprise anyone. People in Middle East wanted a people hauler than is capable of bashing every dune in the desert. That is how the station wagon became the King of off roading.

As for the capabilities of LC250. It is absolutely capable. A Prado is not necessarily a bad vehicle. Quite the opposite. They are brilliant vehicles. I don’t know why people do not talk about the LC150 when they talk about LC250. The LC150, the actual predecessor of LC250 was one sturdy platform and it is still a very well known platform outside North America. There are a many of them being pushed really hard in Middle East, Africa, Australia and in Asia (particularly in Japan). The 250 guys should be proud of their real heritage. They should not be embarrassed by it. The LC250 is a good improvement over the LC150. But I cannot say the same about the GX550. I think the GX460 was much more refined than GX550. However, this is just my personal opinion.

Here is an absolutely beautiful LC150 Prado I captured in rural Japan. Be proud of your Prado!

IMG_9912.webp
 
Last edited:
I owned three GX460's so it's safe to say that I was a fan. The only edge I'd give the 460 over the 550 is the engine and the fit and finish of the interior and its appointments. The styling, interior layout, chassis, standard options, and general design aesthetic (subjective) are all improvements over the outgoing 460. I think there's a lot of romanticizing going on from the 460 crowd and, dare I say, even some generated hate from those who can't justify the price, which is understandable. The 550 is far from perfect, and the continued availability issues are a joke, but to say that it's not an improvement over the previous model is laughable.
 
I owned three GX460's so it's safe to say that I was a fan. The only edge I'd give the 460 over the 550 is the engine and the fit and finish of the interior and its appointments. The styling, interior layout, chassis, standard options, and general design aesthetic (subjective) are all improvements over the outgoing 460. I think there's a lot of romanticizing going on from the 460 crowd and, dare I say, even some generated hate from those who can't justify the price, which is understandable. The 550 is far from perfect, and the continued availability issues are a joke, but to say that it's not an improvement over the previous model is laughable.
I personally do prefer the exterior of the GX550 compared to GX460. I just wish they refined the interior a little more in the 550.
 
Back
Top Bottom