Yosemite for 3-4 days - Need advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I will be taking the family in April, if accomodations aren't already sold out. Heading up from LA, and planning on a 5-day trip. Thinking that it'll take better part of a day to get there and get back, what are your thoughts on where to stay and what to see? Is the 120 usually open by then so I could go in via the 99 and exit via the 120? Would it be worthwhile to bring bikes?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered!

EDIT: Looks like Tioga Pass would be a no-go.

Last edited:
Agreed with the snow comment... you will be able to get into the valley but you will likely not be able to go over Tioga pass road (to the 395 / mono lake area), Glacier point will be closed, and no hiking up half dome. If you like cross country skiing, there still may be some available as well as snow shoeing at the higher altitudes.

Yosemite valley still has alot to see and in April (during the snow melt) the waterfalls will be nice. That time of year is really variable and it will all depend on how much snow we get and what the temps are like. Last year we came through Yosemite via Tioga Pass (from the 395 side through Yosemite) in late May, the first weekend the road was open. All of the high elevations were covered in snow and the lakes still had quite a bit of ice on them.

If you want to drive through Tioga pass (it would be a great loop from LA, up to Yosemite valley...spend a few days hiking...up to Tuolumne meadows, over the pass to Mono Lake... visit Bodie (well worth it!) maybe stop in Mammoth and head back down south. You would need to be later on in the summer. Otherwise, low elevations only and you will need to monitor all the roads going over the sierra if you want to make the trip. Otherwise, you have to go up through Tahoe which is a long trip.
110_1508.jpg
110_1504.jpg

stringent tire chains regulations in effect in many places when there is snow.

Gorgeous now with snow in the Valley...

stringent tire chains regulations in effect in many places when there is snow.

Gorgeous now with snow in the Valley...

:confused:

even with full-time 4wd?

:confused:

even with full-time 4wd?

yup, depends on the road condition, but when we were there it was an R2 IIRC, and that meant that with 4WD AND snow tires, you didn't have to put the chains on, but you had to carry them in the truck. The ranger that stopped everybody to check did ask us specifically if we had chains in the back. And he also checked the tread on the tire.
And I'm told the fine is $5,000... ! And you may have to call a tow truck to get you out if you don't have the chains, which in the snow could add up a tad more...
I guess they're not keen on somebody stuck or in an accident blocking the road for a while... I can see that at least.

and of course it's the PRK!

Thanks guys. I always carry chains in the mountains. Been up Tioga one October, when I was staying in Mammoth. It was starting to snow and the guy at the booth said "I can't promise you we'll be open when you go back down". I hung around for 30 min. and fished, then made my u-turn and went back down.

Any sugestions on accomodations in Valley versus out of Valley? Seems like alot of places are sold out or $500+/night :frown:

Last edited:
My favorite in Yosemite is the Wawona... A lot more low key but it is outside of the valley at the south entrance to the park. We always stay there and love the old hotel.

The Wawona is where we stayed. Interesting place. Not too expensive, lots of character. Some quirks and issues but great atmosphere and service. About 45 mins to Badger Pass IIRC. And 1 hr from the Valley.

yup, depends on the road condition, but when we were there it was an R2 IIRC, and that meant that with 4WD AND snow tires, you didn't have to put the chains on, but you had to carry them in the truck. The ranger that stopped everybody to check did ask us specifically if we had chains in the back. And he also checked the tread on the tire.
And I'm told the fine is $5,000... ! And you may have to call a tow truck to get you out if you don't have the chains, which in the snow could add up a tad more...
I guess they're not keen on somebody stuck or in an accident blocking the road for a while... I can see that at least.

interesting...thanks for the info...

and of course it's the PRK!

technically, no, once you're through the gates, you're in a National Park -- they have their own rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom