Yo toyota, bring these to the states!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not happening....ever.
Pretty sad too :frown: I mean other than the $70k 200 there isn't another new car on a Toyota lot that is worth buying. My last two new cars have both been German, I just hate the bland plastic crap that has become Toyota -

Tucker

BTW: This is coming from someone who has owned 9+ Toyota's ...

Go get one

If you want one you can't do it the American way and wait for it to show up on the dealer lot! You gotta go get one and bring it back-Canada-Central America-Europe...
They sell too many uber luxury models here to sell a real truck! Go get one if you want it!

Not happening....ever.

Can you say why this will never happen, has never happened? It's the same deal up here in Canada, only the LX470 or whatever is available these days.

Can you say why this will never happen, has never happened? It's the same deal up here in Canada, only the LX470 or whatever is available these days.

Because Toyota is in the business to make money.

It does not cater to an internet enthusiast forum with **maybe** 200 people who actually have the disposable income to buy a utilitarian vehicle designed in the mid-1980's.

200 people is not a market demographic; nor is even 1000 people; or even 10K people. Toyota sells 100K units of the Pruis a year in the US alone. That's a market demographic and a money making opportunity.

You can have them, you just have to have a pile of $$$$$ to do it:flipoff2:

While I can't comment on Canadian society, historically Americans have only wanted bus size SUV's propelled by gas guzzling V8's. American motorist by in large have never accepted diesel engines ( with the exception of trucks ) and probably never will. I am ashamed to admit it but when it comes to automobiles we are not very bright.
............1978HJ45

It does not cater to an internet enthusiast forum with **maybe** 200 people who actually have the disposable income to buy a utilitarian vehicle designed in the mid-1980's.

200 people is not a market demographic; nor is even 1000 people; or even 10K people. Toyota sells 100K units of the Pruis a year in the US alone. That's a market demographic and a money making opportunity.

Well they have the underground mine market pretty much monopolized. What's stopping them from monopolizing the fleet truck market, there are a crap load of guys up here in the oil patch cursing stupid NA pickups constantly breaking down. I could see them slaying in forestry too. I think your excuse is weak, and may be one of the many reasons, but there are other reasons these things are not available.

Well they have the underground mine market pretty much monopolized. What's stopping them from monopolizing the fleet truck market, there are a crap load of guys up here in the oil patch cursing stupid NA pickups constantly breaking down. I could see them slaying in forestry too. I think your excuse is weak, and may be one of the many reasons, but there are other reasons these things are not available.

The industrial markets that you refer to have something that even 1000 enthusiasts wanting a 70 series don't have: endless amounts of cash to continue buying more trucks and spare parts and supporting an entire infrastructure to distribute and maintain these vehicles.

We're one or two off kinds of people. We might spend $55K or so on a new 2011 HZJ79 but that will be a one time purchase. A mine company is going to import 200 70 series rigs at a time. That's a huge difference.

And since you think my argument is weak, here are two other reasons:

1. DOT safety certification of these vehicles for import. This means that Toyota is going to have to spend millions of dollars to get a vehicle certified for sale in the US and then only get maybe--if they are very lucky--1000 sales? That doesn't make any economic sense.

2. Updating the infrastructure for the introduction of a new model. This is not easy both from the corporate level as well as at the dealer level. When new models are introduced at the dealer level, oodles of money and time are devoted to training of salespeople, technicians, parts personnel; updating of catalogs, updating of technical information for technician support, etc.

As hard as it is to believe, Toyota really is in the business of making as much money as possible. While I don't agree with it and I know thousands of my Land Cruiser brethren don't either, that doesn't change one bit of the bottom line logic that Toyota uses for the determination of market needs and fiscal market results.

There you have it.

they did sell the bj70 in canada from '85 - '88. for whatever reason it wasn't a big seller, and toyota pulled the plug on all diesel options in na by '88.

i'd consider buying a new taco or tundra if they offered a d4d diesel option. but that's probably not going to happen anytime soon either. as it stands, toyota motor sales has absolutely nothing to offer to me.

I would be interested to see FJ40 sales numbers near the end of production in the 80s. As the 70-series was the successor to the 40-series perhaps a dip in sales toward the end of production was the initial reason for the 70-series not being imported.

Here ya go...all the statistics you need to make an educated decision:

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER Data Library

I appreciate your responses very much, thank you.

I have heard this angle before though and I've often wondered, how is it that Australia is LandCruiser 'city' and almost completely diesel and yet in the states, no diesels were ever offered? In Canada, we had diesels offered for only a half dozen years and then just gassers for another half dozen, then no more Cruisers period?

The only thing I can think of is that Japanese vehicles were seen as econo boxes in most of North America and our population was addicted to cushy rides and lots of horse power.

The industrial markets that you refer to have something that even 1000 enthusiasts wanting a 70 series don't have: endless amounts of cash to continue buying more trucks and spare parts and supporting an entire infrastructure to distribute and maintain these vehicles.

We're one or two off kinds of people. We might spend $55K or so on a new 2011 HZJ79 but that will be a one time purchase. A mine company is going to import 200 70 series rigs at a time. That's a huge difference.

And since you think my argument is weak, here are two other reasons:

1. DOT safety certification of these vehicles for import. This means that Toyota is going to have to spend millions of dollars to get a vehicle certified for sale in the US and then only get maybe--if they are very lucky--1000 sales? That doesn't make any economic sense.

2. Updating the infrastructure for the introduction of a new model. This is not easy both from the corporate level as well as at the dealer level. When new models are introduced at the dealer level, oodles of money and time are devoted to training of salespeople, technicians, parts personnel; updating of catalogs, updating of technical information for technician support, etc.

As hard as it is to believe, Toyota really is in the business of making as much money as possible. While I don't agree with it and I know thousands of my Land Cruiser brethren don't either, that doesn't change one bit of the bottom line logic that Toyota uses for the determination of market needs and fiscal market results.

See you are looking at this only from your point of view and the way most fanatical Landcruiser enthusiest (and I am one as well) see it. Thing is there is a market past the industrial level for these trucks. I live outside of the big city in a town where every one drives diesel pickups. Half of Alberta drives diesel pickups (except the city people ofcourse) The oil patch requires us to keep a new pickup, lots of guys are holding on to thier 12Valve cummins as long as they can but if there was something out there that compared, I think there is a big market for these pickups. Right now our only choices are the 3 big diesel pickups. Give people more options (ones that don't need engine overhauls in the first half year of use) and people will buy. The market is there I just have a feeling the big three are keeping the other players out as their market strangle hold will be erased and if they loose their pickup truck moneymakers, they might as well pack up their businesses. I do agree with you though that the DOT crap is probably a big hurdle too.

I have heard this angle before though and I've often wondered, how is it that Australia is LandCruiser 'city'

Have you ever been to Australia?

Think of a piece of land bigger than North America with 1/100th the population and a 1/100th the paved roads.

They actually need the Land Cruiser in Australia, Africa, the Middle East, South America.

And the Middle East, though for different reasons (prestige, cheap cost of petrol and diesel and a very high per capita income that can afford loads of LC's at their going market rate).

It's a brilliant marketing strategy. Give these markets that are "developing" or "need" off road and durable/reliable performance in the Land Cruiser and then sell them tons of commuter cars for the cities.

See you are looking at this only from your point of view and the way most fanatical Landcruiser enthusiest (and I am one as well) see it. Thing is there is a market past the industrial level for these trucks. I live outside of the big city in a town where every one drives diesel pickups. Half of Alberta drives diesel pickups (except the city people ofcourse) The oil patch requires us to keep a new pickup, lots of guys are holding on to thier 12Valve cummins as long as they can but if there was something out there that compared, I think there is a big market for these pickups. Right now our only choices are the 3 big diesel pickups. Give people more options (ones that don't need engine overhauls in the first half year of use) and people will buy. The market is there I just have a feeling the big three are keeping the other players out as their market strangle hold will be erased and if they loose their pickup truck moneymakers, they might as well pack up their businesses. I do agree with you though that the DOT crap is probably a big hurdle too.

I don't buy into the conspiracy theory that the Big Three are keeping our Japanese friends out of any given market for whatever reason. That was 30 years ago in a time and market culture completely different than the current manifestation of automobile production and marketing. And if there in fact really is some governmental jingoism going on, it is so not important to Toyota or any other car manufacturer any more. That is a thing of the past.

Go to any other part of the world and Toyota is king. Soon, we (the North American market) are going to be small potatoes compared to the Chinese market. Think of 1 billion people buying your car. That figure alone is staggering.

Our importance in Toyota's (and all of the other car manufacturer's) eyes is on the waning sunset. We are more trouble than we are worth in all honesty (for example, our very high safety standards that cost more and more money every year in terms of compliance, let alone environmental standards that increase in stringency every year). The whole point of selling cars is to make money. Plain and simple and Toyota itself has realized this is key to all of the other necessary components that play into "shareholder return."

In twenty year's time, the North American market will be back water to the entire Chinese market. Which is why all of the car manufacturers world-wide are building many, many plants in China and slowing production and imports (comparatively) to the North American and European markets.

While I think you have a valid and useful argument, and one that I buy into personally, the "psychological" transformation that you are advocating is not worth it to Toyota in the long run. Why convince a government and populace that is declining in world importance when you can concentrate on a region (SE Asia) and country (China) that can keep your coffers overflowing for the next century?

I'd do the same thing if I was running the show at Toyota. I could care less about, at max 10,000 Land Cruiser enthusiasts in an area of the world that is declining in importance for the bottom line. 10,000 vehicles is what Toyota produces in possibly 1 day of world-wide production (average 260 days of production; 3.5 million vehicles produced last year)

Last edited:
Have you ever been to Australia?

Think of a piece of land bigger than North America with 1/100th the population and a 1/100th the paved roads.

No , I have not. I do intend to go one of these years.
I do know that Australia is smaller than Canada and we are not exactly overloaded with paved roads. British Columbia for instance has about 300,000 miles of unpaved roads in comparison to about 50,000 miles paved and I'm being very generous to this statistic.

I guess I just see a market, but it would be tough to break into and I do agree, NA is making it tough for others to come in and other markets have more promise. But I really don't care if Toyota doesn't see it, I would rather be the odd guy out with a different truck than every one and their cousin having the same truck as me;)

I guess I just see a market, but it would be tough to break into and I do agree, NA is making it tough for others to come in and other markets have more promise. But I really don't care if Toyota doesn't see it, I would rather be the odd guy out with a different truck than every one and their cousin having the same truck as me;)

Sure you would, right up until you saw the difference in value of parts, labour, purchase....

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom