Yeti jumps the shark (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok I admit I have bought some overpriced nonsense before, but $40 for a 5 gallon bucket?

CB3300FA-6B0C-4264-9F86-34A3CEBCF775.jpeg

I have one and love it. Great fathers day gift when kids are always looking for something. 300# plus pound weight rating. I use it as a stool, ladder, drink table, liquor cabinet, junk holder, and many other things.

And you can buy coolers at walmart for $45. I have many 5 gallon buckets around farm for many uses and lots get broken and throw away. Yes yeti gets a premium but you can find this same discussion in numerous places from coolers to cups to buckets. They seem to keep selling them for some reason.

And you can buy coolers at walmart for $45. I have many 5 gallon buckets around farm for many uses and lots get broken and throw away. Yes yeti gets a premium but you can find this same discussion in numerous places from coolers to cups to buckets. They seem to keep selling them for some reason.
They keep selling them not because they are innovative, the best, or anything else. They keep selling them because they are masters of marketing and the use of social media in doing so. Their story is something of legend in terms of early social media marketing. So now they are outdoor Gucci (like patigonia). Anyway my only issue with them is the fact that the demand top dollar and are made mostly in China and Vietnam, which usually makes things cheaper. There are many top quality similar products for the same cost or less made in the USA (Cordova, bison, orca, canyon, grizzly, igloo, cabelas, pelican, ...). Ok, ok. I’m off my soap box now.

They keep selling them not because they are innovative, the best, or anything else. They keep selling them because they are masters of marketing and the use of social media in doing so. Their story is something of legend in terms of early social media marketing. So now they are outdoor Gucci (like patigonia). Anyway my only issue with them is the fact that the demand top dollar and are made mostly in China and Vietnam, which usually makes things cheaper. There are many top quality similar products for the same cost or less made in the USA (Cordova, bison, orca, canyon, grizzly, igloo, cabelas, pelican, ...). Ok, ok. I’m off my soap box now.

Indeed, Yeti mastered the brand marketing but that can take you only so far. They don't have a sustainable advantage on quality, and coolers, buckets aren't fashion. People don't buy coolers to make a lasting lifestyle statement. Yeti's future is not bright. They'll probably get bought up if that already hasnt already happened and you see down-scale stuff with their names. Or they'll go out of business because of competition.

Patagonia on the hand, being a fashion and lifestyle brand has much more staying power. And their clothes are very well made and they stand behind their products. They have managed to sustain that advantage. Yvon Chouinard, the founder of Patagonia does not appear to care about big profits. So they don't need to change their strategy.

Indeed, Yeti mastered the brand marketing but that can take you only so far. They don't have a sustainable advantage on quality, and coolers, buckets aren't fashion. People don't buy coolers to make a lasting lifestyle statement. Yeti's future is not bright. They'll probably get bought up if that already hasnt already happened and you see down-scale stuff with their names. Or they'll go out of business because of competition.

Patagonia on the hand, being a fashion and lifestyle brand has much more staying power. And their clothes are very well made and they stand behind their products. They have managed to sustain that advantage. Yvon Chouinard, the founder of Patagonia does not appear to care about big profits. So they don't need to change their strategy.
I probably miss spoke compairing yeti to Patagonia. I was just trying to compaire that they are both “brand” desirable for some people as a marker of status who don’t need or use their capacity. I fully agree Patagonia is an awesome company with a great corporate culture. I grew up on their stuff shopping the “2nds” at the distribution center out in Reno back in the 1980’s. I’ve been using their torrent shell in different versions for 10-15 years and I’m on my 2ns set of their breathable waiders.

Seems a bit like a joke at the boardroom meeting. "Home Depot gives them away? Well we could sell those guys a $40 bucket..."

Right up there with a $300 camp chair.

And I thought I was crazy when we bought four of these chairs on sale for $80 each.
But they are ~1 lb each.

Seems a bit like a joke at the boardroom meeting. "Home Depot gives them away? Well we could sell those guys a $40 bucket..."

Right up there with a $300 camp chair.

a friend of mine has that chair, it was a gift. the thing is built solid as a rock, weighs like it was made out of cast iron and its comfortable. will I buy one, no, but will I take one of someone gives it to me, yes.

The worst is the bottle opener that they sell for $50. Like others have said it’s all about marketing. Living in Austin, their base of operation, I see plenty of vehicles with Yeti stickers on them. I think it’s funny to brag about a ice chest your overpaid for.

I have three Yeti products, a Tundra, Roadie, and the soft version which is my favorite and go to. I agree, their days are numbered, so many competitors with far better pricing. I would not on my life buy their stock. The founders are brilliant social media promoters but when I saw that bucket at the local Ace Hardware...I knew they were out of ideas and DONE.

Their new waterproof hard cases will be a hot seller I think. They look nice but high dollar.

If those buckets were strong enough to not have the bottoms break out of them I would buy a few. I had some homedepot ones in my headache rack on my 18 wheeler to keep all the slack from my chains in them, they cracked and then split all the way. But for meanwhile I have the slack all messy everywhere. It was useful having the buckets incase something happened and you needed to drain liquids or get liquids for you or some other motorist. After they cracked I stopped buying those. Maybe I will try a couple!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom