Yet another wiper motor question.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On my '76 FJ40, my wiper motor finally gave up the ghost. I ordered a replacement from CCOT and installed it the other night. It worked for about 1" before it quit again. Now, it was getting dark outside and I haven't had time to mess with it since, but I've been pondering it. I did search and by page 3, I was too tired to continue.

The newer motor is bigger than my old one, so I bought a newer motor cover as well. The tab and screw inside the motor cover must be for the ground, right? I installed the cover with self tapping screws, but the windshield frame is mounted to a fiberglass body tub, so therein lies the problem. I'm gonna test ground it and see if that makes any difference and then ground it permanently if that works.

Any other ideas? Why would it work for 1" and then stop? I'll check the fuse, too, but I don't think that would have blown... :cheers:

Don't know why it would run for 1" and quit. Perhaps the wiring is different such that it only ran to the park position. Or, perhaps you have a switch problem.

The ground is provided by the switch, through the normal wiring. Power goes directly from the fuse to the motor. The switch completes the circuit to ground for either the slow speed circuit, the high speed circuit, or park. Your problem should not be the fiberglass windshield frame.

Check continuity through the various switch positions and through the high and low speed circuits at the motor.

Is this a new motor? If so, I would assume it is OK.

Does the wiper linkage move freely without the motor attached?

Good Luck.

Don't know why it would run for 1" and quit. Perhaps the wiring is different such that it only ran to the park position. Or, perhaps you have a switch problem.

The ground is provided by the switch, through the normal wiring. Power goes directly from the fuse to the motor. The switch completes the circuit to ground for either the slow speed circuit, the high speed circuit, or park. Your problem should not be the fiberglass windshield frame.

Check continuity through the various switch positions and through the high and low speed circuits at the motor.

Is this a new motor? If so, I would assume it is OK.

Does the wiper linkage move freely without the motor attached?

Good Luck.

If the ground is provided by the switch, what's the black wire for that hangs off the motor? It is a new motor, so I doubt there's any problems with it. The Linkage moves freely without the motor attached. I was too busy to get to checking things out this weekend, so hopefully one night this week.

The reason I suspect it's the ground is because I've had a lot of those problems since installing the fiberglass tub. Thanks! :cheers:

I just checked the CCOT site. You are correct, there is a ground wire attached to the OEM replacement motor. Looking at the wiring diagram, it appears that that ground wire is for the parking switch, so you should hook it to one of your vehicle ground wires.

Grounding for the high and low motor speeds should be taken care of by the wiper switch. Check the switch connections and make sure the ground connection is intact. I don't recall if the switch has a ground wire or if the ground is made by mounting the switch to the dash. If the switch does not have a ground wire, and it is mounted through a fiberglass dash, that is probably your problem. Does your windshield washer motor run? The ground for your washer motor is definitely made by the body of the wiper switch. Try connecting a temporary ground to the body of your wiper switch using a cliplead and see if the wiper motor works.

If the ground is provided by the switch, what's the black wire for that hangs off the motor? It is a new motor, so I doubt there's any problems with it. The Linkage moves freely without the motor attached. The reason I suspect it's the ground is because I've had a lot of those problems since installing the fiberglass tub. Thanks! :cheers:

I just checked the CCOT site. You are correct, there is a ground wire attached to the OEM replacement motor. Looking at the wiring diagram, it appears that that ground wire is for the parking switch, so you should hook it to one of your vehicle ground wires.

Try connecting a temporary ground to the body of your wiper switch using a cliplead and see if the wiper motor works.

That's exactly what I'll do once I finish installing the ARBs and Longfields. :grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom