Yet Another New Member (98 LX470) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey gang. Greetings and Salutations. Newbie here from the north GA area. Recently picked up a 1998 LX470 with 343k miles on it. Already have an Ironman4x4 front bumper and a 13k winch on it, working on the rest. Lovely shade of Old People Beige. Blends nicely with the mud. Currently looking at tuning options because I may be able to get my hands on an inexpensive Bullet supercharger kit. Been devouring info in the forum for a few weeks since I joined before making this post. I'll probably lurk a bit more until I have something more to contribute.

IMG_1495.jpeg

Meh.

So, been catching up with maintenance and some other stuff on this thing, then started adding the aftermarket stuff.

Ironman 4x4 had a sale so I bought and installed their front bumper, adding a Boar 12k winch with synthetic cable in the process, and relocating the control unit under the hood behind the intake box for now. I still have to fab a bracket for it, but it functions. Then I was trying to figure out why one of the corner lights wasn't working, and in the process of pulling the corner housing the headlight literally just fell the **** out because all of the tabs were broken. Rather than spending on new OE parts, I picked up a set of Amerilite black housing headlights and installed those. I wired all the lights in and fixed the corner lamp (the chassis-side plug was just... gone). I also replaced the trim piece beneath the grille, painted it black until I can color match the Old People Beige, and installed an Alpha Garage Lexus Grill because the OE grille was cracked down the middle. Added a little grille flair for the fun of it too. A buddy gave me Warn fairlead winch candy so I threw that on.

Hi there!

AHC still works (kinda) but a lift kit is next, probably OME 2.5". Still looking at sliders and rear bumpers, but they'll follow shortly too.

Yes, that's a parted out Miata behind the truck.

Welcome to the group, mods are looking good !

So, been catching up with maintenance and some other stuff on this thing, then started adding the aftermarket stuff.

Ironman 4x4 had a sale so I bought and installed their front bumper, adding a Boar 12k winch with synthetic cable in the process, and relocating the control unit under the hood behind the intake box for now. I still have to fab a bracket for it, but it functions. Then I was trying to figure out why one of the corner lights wasn't working, and in the process of pulling the corner housing the headlight literally just fell the f*** out because all of the tabs were broken. Rather than spending on new OE parts, I picked up a set of Amerilite black housing headlights and installed those. I wired all the lights in and fixed the corner lamp (the chassis-side plug was just... gone). I also replaced the trim piece beneath the grille, painted it black until I can color match the Old People Beige, and installed an Alpha Garage Lexus Grill because the OE grille was cracked down the middle. Added a little grille flair for the fun of it too. A buddy gave me Warn fairlead winch candy so I threw that on.

View attachment 3257309

AHC still works (kinda) but a lift kit is next, probably OME 2.5". Still looking at sliders and rear bumpers, but they'll follow shortly too.

Yes, that's a parted out Miata behind the truck.

I really like the Alpha Garage grill. They seem to get mixed reviews, but it certainly modernizes the look of the LX. I'd like to see them bring out one for the LC.

I really like the Alpha Garage grill. They seem to get mixed reviews, but it certainly modernizes the look of the LX. I'd like to see them bring out one for the LC.

Yeah, it took a little finessing to get it to fit the metal grille frame, and none of the screws worked. I had to find screws that were long enough to work but not so long that they'd come out the front. Overall though, it's a good fit, though I'm concerned that the black plastic may eventually fade and require at least a clear coat or paint later. Can't beat how modernized the front of the truck looks with that grille and the headlights.

Been busy with other projects and also breaking this one. Got the sliders mounted finally, and a drop hitch for towing. Also installed the Prospeed roof rack and some no-name snorkel. For your entertainment I have some mild off-roading with a lovely surprise at the end.

IMG_2208.JPG

Had some fun on a friend's farmland, but ended up popping the oil cooler water line, if I can figure out where to host videos I'll post the failure as it was captured on camera. Meanwhile, enjoy the destruction below. Pretty sure this was the original 26 year old hose.

IMG_2217.JPG

Got a feature at our local Skottles and Bottles meet at the Sweetwater Taproom. This is probably the cleanest my truck has ever been and will ever be again.

IMG_2087.JPG

And with the new roof rack and snorkel installed. I have ASFIR skid plates and some other underside goodies to install but haven't crawled under my truck yet. I also have to replace a CV axle.

IMG_2401.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom