Yet another annoying wheel/tire thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sdnative

SILVER Star
Threads
Sorry to do this, and yes I have searched and found lots of good info. I wanted to get a couple more opinions of the tire brand/size and wheels I am considering putting on my 03 LC very soon. The truck's primary role is camping / vacation / getaway trips with the family. Usage will be 90% on-road, and 10% off-road (So Cal mtns and deserts, as well as trips into AZ/NV/UT/CO.

My truck came with the standard 18" 5-spoke wheels, but I have also picked up a set of the 07+ 18" tundra wheels and a set of the 98-02 16" LC wheels. I will most likely run one of the 18" wheels, but am on the fence about which one.

The LC wheels have a lip and use the clip on wheel weights, while the Tundra wheels do not and have to use a stick on weight. Is one type of wheel weight generally preferred over the other?

As far as tires, I will probably run a 275/70R18 size. I want to keep the weight and road noise down as much as possible, and do not want to deal with rubbing or gearing/loss of power issues with a larger tire.

I am looking at the Toyo AT2, BFG AT, and Nitto TG (yes I saw that thread). The BFG and NTG are about the same price (although the BFG has a $70 rebate going on now) and the Toyo AT2 are about $250 more for a set of 5. I also considered and decided against the DT (too loud) and ST/MAXX (too heavy).

I have generally had bad luck with the BFG in the couple of sets I've owned in the past. I have found them very rough riding and difficult to balance. And I hesitate to get a set with the release of the KO2 coming soon. The BFG in this size also is not rated for severe snow service, whatever that means. And they seem to run small for their rated size.

I have no first hand experience with the NTG, but I hear the tread wear is not very good, and they have the least off-road traction of the three mentioned.

I had a set of the AT2 on my 80 (295/70R16 xtreme). I really liked this tire, except for the weight. I also was the loudest of the 3 with a noticeable hum on the highway. The 275/70R18 size is a std LT size and not a xtreme size so considerably lighter and possibly quieter.

My first choice, cost aside, would be the Toyo, but are they worth the extra $250? Has anyone else had issues with the BFG rough ride and difficulty to balance? The Toyo is a 8-ply tire, where the other two are 10-ply, does this make it more susceptible to trail damage?

Thanks for any input. I will probably be making a decision this week, and may have one or more sets of wheels/tires for sale at that point.

I don't have experience with any of the tires you mentioned, but I picked up my 2003 LC earlier this year and had to purchase tires. I started with Michelin LTX A/T2's and while they had a very aggressive profile and looked awesome, they had a noticeable hum to them. After 2 weeks, I decided the road noise wasn't worth the small chance I was going to use them off road. Michelin offers a 30 day money back guarantee so I swapped them out to LTX M/S2's and they are fantastic. Great tread pattern for mud and snow, long life, and super quiet.

Others have stated that the A/T2's are very quiet compared to other A/T tires, so if you are set on an A/T tire and will be on road 90% of the time, check out the Michelins.

Just to clarify, I do not consider the BFG AT loud by any means, on the quiet side actually. The Michelin LTX would not be aggressive enough for my use. I had a set on a Tundra in the past and put a stick through the sidewall the first couple times out. I am running the Yokohama Geolander AT/S now and they are great on the road, but seem a little too delicate for off-road.

I've had limited experience with tires other than the BFG AT, because I like them so much. Had a set on an '85 4runner for 10 years before selling it, have a set on my FJ62 that are 10 years old, not quite 40K miles. Still lots of tread, work well in the snow, not loud, no balance issues and no problems with slow leaks like other brands I've had on different rigs. We get about 100 inches of snow here annually, but it comes and goes during the winter. Mostly wet, heavy stuff. Of course, these tires aren't great on ice, but you need a specialty tire for that. Have a lot of confidence in them over rough, gravel roads too. Rough riding? Don't seem to be, but maybe I'm overly accustomed to driving a solid axle, leaf sprung rig. :confused: I've used 30 and 31" diameter on 15" wheels.
BTW, the tire guys at Costco told me that Michelin makes the BFG ATs.

Discount Tire tells me it is more effective to balance large AT tires with the outer clip-on weights than with the stick-on type. Plus the stick-ons fall off all the time. Maybe it's just easier for the tech, I don't know.

It looks like you are already running the 275/70-18 in BFG AT already. Is there something you don't like about that combo?

Discount Tire tells me it is more effective to balance large AT tires with the outer clip-on weights than with the stick-on type. Plus the stick-ons fall off all the time. Maybe it's just easier for the tech, I don't know.

It looks like you are already running the 275/70-18 in BFG AT already. Is there something you don't like about that combo?

I picked up a set of used AT tires a month ago in 275/70R18 size just to see if the size would work for me. They just so happened to be the BFG. They seem ok but there is a wobble in the steering wheel at around 60-70mph. It is probably just the balancing but in every set I have had there were issues so I am a little hesitant to spend good money on a new set. Admittedly every set I have owned were used so maybe I have had bad luck.

I would probably be ok with the BFG as long as discount tire will guarantee 100% satisfaction with the ride quality and balancing.

Last edited:
BFGs have been an absolute pain in the ass to get balanced. My 35 inch nitto trail grapplers were very easy to balanced. I think I had to have my 35 inch BFg ATs balanced four times before my steering shake went away. BFG needs to set their s*** together their quality control on roundness is pathetic. Nitto or Toyo for me.

I've found the BFG AT's to be an outstanding product, on or off road (285/75x16). I was going to try and wait for the KO2 version, but I was able to unload my Duracraps for a lot more than I thought possible.

Last edited:
I think I may just bite the bullet and get the toyos as I have had a first hand great experience with them. It only hurts once I guess. I have read some negatives about the toyos which is kinda surprising.

I have the Toyo OC AT2's on my 80 series out west and this is an outstanding tire, so much better on and off-road than the BFG AT that they are not even in the same universe. I have set of Nitto's here on the east coast on my 100 series and they are great for misty on-road and light off-road, again, much better than the BGG AT's. If I only had one set of tires, for your stated use, I would go with the Toyo OC AT 2's.

I've had to buy a few used BFGs and they were brutally bad too. I've run many sets of new ones and found that they almost always end that way too, which makes their long tread life a mixed bag. Rotating and balancing every 3k makes a huge difference, though, if you are disciplined enough to do it.

Not the ST Maxx, but I had the Cooper STT's on my last rig and I liked them. Balanced very well. They chunked very little, and were otherwise about the same as my Nitto Trail Grapplers, which are awesome. Perhaps wore a bit sooner than the Trails, but otherwise similar. Don't know if that helps...

I have had the BFG AT's, Toyo, and Nitto.

Nitto by far my favorite all around, on and off road. Second place to Toyo.

Im running st maxx 255/85/16 pretty aggressive tire . I like them have been told i can get 50 k out of them. They are way more aggressive than the cooper atp i put on my daughters commander. Im going to put them on my wifes wrangler. The only other one im considering is the M55

image.jpg

of your choices, i would likely go Toyo. the brand itself has been good to me and everyone i've known to run their tires. Another possible contender for your selection might be the Falken Wildpeak AT. All of these newer AT tires are so similar in tread pattern I don't think you can really go wrong with any one of them: Toyo AT, Nitto TG, Falken Wildpeak AT, Cooper STT Maxx, Dick Cepek Fun Country, Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ, Goodyear Duratrac, etc.

I have the 275/70R18 Toyos on my LX. So far I think they are great. Quiet on the highway. I have had them off road in the Moab area a few times now, and they've done just fine (although Moab is easy for tires). Worry about the durability only if you wheel in conditions that warrant it. Really sharp rock and lots of pointy sticks. I haven't had them long enough for winter conditions yet, but I expect them to be great.

I ran Nitto TG on my 80 for many years. I loved them. No, not the best wear, but not horrible. Great in the snow. Great in Moab. I did poke a hole in one sidewall with a sharp stick up in the mountains once. Discount Tire certs for replacement came in handy there.

Had BFG's on an 81' pickup and a 40 years ago. Thought they sucked in the snow and ice. Too many other excellent tires to go to BFG's in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom