Yes, yes I am insane - M37 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You're a little bit all over the place lol.

You can run the winch hydraulicly with a motor and drive it with a ps pump fine. Electro pump is a no go. Sizing a hyd motor is very simple. Machine shop can adapt the motor nicely or you can rig something up with a chain.

And I agree- d60 is weeny for a a truck that hauls with that much power. 14b, sterling, aam 11.5, dana 80 would all be fine. D60 or d70. Not a good idea.

I'm not a big fan of the 14 bolt, hangs down too far. But the sterlings are easily available and easy to work with.

My impression was that a normal PS pump does not flow enough to drive a winch.

My impression was that a normal PS pump does not flow enough to drive a winch.
It's basic math.

Psc says thier pumps put out 1600 psi and 4.5gpm. That equals 4.2hp. Electric winches do not have that much power. They are an actual 1.5hp to 2hp with 4.5 "peak" (lol) hp.

I think you should do a stock GM ecu with stock tune. OBD2 simplicity and no tuning

Na, I've given up on that. You change tires and you change gearing and it all goes to hell. Holley Terminator lets you set all that stuff easily, and you have access to so much more control. We just did it to our 40 and it's already solved several problems that we had no idea how to solve. We are in the middle of it with the F250, and once you get past the wiring nightmare (which you have no matter what ECU you use, it's just that Holley is designed to be done this way), it's a lot easier and a lot more flexible. Things like fan control and torque converter input as so much easier.

Na, I've given up on that. You change tires and you change gearing and it all goes to hell. Holley Terminator lets you set all that stuff easily, and you have access to so much more control. We just did it to our 40 and it's already solved several problems that we had no idea how to solve. We are in the middle of it with the F250, and once you get past the wiring nightmare (which you have no matter what ECU you use, it's just that Holley is designed to be done this way), it's a lot easier and a lot more flexible. Things like fan control and torque converter input as so much easier.

I'm a partner in a company developing several automotive products that will compete head on with some of Holley's stuff.

The hardest part is bridging the huge gap between what is great current tech and what so many gearheads see as confusing nerdery.

Holley's products are not great. Or even good. And massively overpriced.

I would go oem ecu and harness. So much better than the holley stuff. The Holley crap will be unsupported junk in 5 years.

I install and use both frequently and am quite familiar with the pros and cons of each option - if you are doing stick shift and cable-drive throttle on a stock engine a basic Gen 3 setup shouldn't require anything tuning-wise beyond flashing Vat's and rear o2s and EGR codes out. Keep in mind the OEM ecu is weather tight, metal case, and designed to live a much harder life then a Holley.

A race car, turbo car or something you are going to make a lot of frequent changes to is a completely different story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom