Yep. Another Off Road/Adventure Type Trailer Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

VFRMAN

SILVER Star
Threads
First off, it should be known that I would probably be better served with a a pop up tent trailer like a Rockwood since I will likely never get to see the terrain it should be ready for.

Let me know where this goes off the tracks because it came up quick and I probably missed a vital component right from the start. And thanks up front to everyone I stole ideas from here on MUD and elsewhere. :D

Here's the plan. It’s part “build new trailer cuz I want one” and part “garage therapy”, so don’t even ask me “Why the Hell would you do it that way, and not just build from scratch?” ;)
Roof top tent
Batteries
Water
Gas cans
Shower
Propane
Charger/inverter
Kitchen slide out
Plus numerous other things like everyone else

1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]For now, use my existing 52”x96” utility trailer as a base. (I built this years ago, 2000# axle/springs, all 2x3 and 2x2 steel tub. Plenty HD.

2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Swap in 3500# axle/springs/315’s/LC wheels/fenders. Do it all so I can put back original parts later on if I want to. i.e re-weld hangers and move on.

3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Add the white pick-up topper/shell/utility box with some “modifications”. This was $50 so hence the attempt to use it and make something cool and functional. Also it’s almost an identical match to the dimensions of my trailer.

4.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Make the whole thing “modular”(?) so it can be taken off the utility trailer when not in use. I realistically don’t get enough time to ever use something cool like a camp trailer anyway, but I want something to focus my excess energy on in the garage once I get my new welder going.

5.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]On the topper:

a.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Add 1” sq tube frame work and rack

b.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]New sheet metal(wish aluminum, but too much $ I’m sure)

c.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Add 6” to overall height as part of the framework(This might be part of the height issue and really no reason to have extra 6” I guess.)

d.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Love the built-in tool doors on each side that run full length.

e.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Love the ambulance doors too with glass. May make plates to cover glass for more protection/theft deterrence, etc. Possibly be able to use this as a camper type set up for really crappy weather? Nice to have some screens in place of the glass maybe? Same for the front window.

f.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Use some HD drawer slides I have left over from a second set of drawers I planned to make for the 80. 500 lb Accurides I think. Maybe use them for access to the front, or use them on the side and make a cut out in front of the wheels for a slide out kitchen? Not sure yet. They’re just sitting in my attic now gathering dust.

g.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Make 1” sq tube frame for rack and place to mount tent. Also has to be part of the system to be able to lift everything off and set on the garage floor, using my ceiling hoist.
Overall height is my concern the way I sketched it. It’s just rough so I can lower some things if needed. Seems way too high once I added all the dimensions up. Don't mind the chicken scratch comments on the sketch. Thinking with my pencil as I went.

I have it being put into Autocad by a friend so I can play around with the layout. My biggest question is “how high is too high” at highway traveling speed? (given X length X width x height, etc, etc).\
Well that’s it for now. Let the flames begin.

Seriously though, I’m open for any comments. My whole plan was just to use that camper shell somehow and play in my garage. Basically because I just thought it was cool and it was cheap.
On a side note: He has another topper just like it with solid rear doors(no glass), but not quite as good shape. Also a Leer fiberglass truck lid of roughly the same dimensions that I might pick up just for the Hell of it too. Perfect to fit the top of a scratch built trailer for someone that wants a finished lid with all struts/hardware, shiny black fiberglass, etc ready to go. Just build around it's dimensions.

Thanks. :cheers:
Brian
Existing Trailer.jpg
dimensions.JPG
Trailer Sketch ver 1.jpg

Last edited:
more info..........
New Material.JPG
New Material 2.jpg
P1013221.JPG

more pics
P1013222.JPG
P1013223.JPG
P1013224.JPG

and more.....
P1013225.JPG
P1013227.JPG
P1013228.JPG

and yet again......
P1013232.JPG
P1013231.JPG
P1013235.JPG

Do you have any more pics of the topper? How about one looking straight down from above? :D
Just a proud papa, I guess. Smartass. :)

And I couldn't climb high enough, or you would've had one looking down.

I was expecting the Microsoft "Paint" comments. I'm the master with that s**t! Probably thought those were Autocad renderings, eh? :flipoff2:

maybe this will help a little..
Thanks Titan! Definitely a lot better to see. That's a cool package I wish I knew how to run too. Maybe even better than Microsoft Paint. :)

It's called Google Sketch Up and they have a free version....by far bettererererer than MS Paint...if you need a more detailed version PM anyy pics and measurements and I'll try to do something a little more to your needs. :cheers:

Pat

A few more improvments b4 work....late..gotta run!
vfrman3.jpg
vfrman4.jpg

You're hired! Thanks again. Looks even better. Just our of curiousity, what does the overall height look like? Assuming 315's and the standard(if there is one?) height to the bed of the trailer using 3500# SOA on 315's.

Say about 20" from top of tent to clamps using my current Yakima 1A set up with cross bars.
48" from top of shell to bed of trailer
Another 24"? to ground? This seems like not enough. 30" maybe?

~7'8"-8'2" high?

Am I missing something, or is that waaaay too high? The tent could be snugged down a little I think if the new rack hugs the camper top tight. Maybe eliminate the extra 6" I wanted to the shell? Is it still too high for highway cruising?

I couldn't find a good measurement anywhere in the trailer threads about overall height of everyone's trailers. Horizon's website doesn't show height from what I could see, or with the tent. One trailer picture (Romer's thread maybe?) I looked at yesterday was taller than the lady standing next to it, but she could have been 4' tall too. :)

Seems like this will be top heavy to say the least. If not just plain waiting to roll over in a good wind. Thoughts?

Very innovative. Please continue to post up your concepts and your progress once you start building. You certainly have stirred up ideas for my flat bed trailer. Thanks

Thanks. I'm not much of a thinker. Love to copy the Thinkers stuff though. :)

I plan to pick up the shell tomorrow and mock it up in the garage with the trailer, my spare 295/16 and some 2x4's just to get a feel for where to mount the whole thing on the trailer. Figure out tongue weight, rear overhang, how long the axle needs to be, etc.

Will keep you posted. Thanks.

I made the sides about 2' high..so given the trailer will probably be around 20"-24" off the ground..that puts the bottom of the side doors between 44"-48"..too high for a work surface, but...

I would build drop down work surfaces (that would mount right above the highest point of the fender ) which should make it around kitchen counter heighth, which is 36"

The tent is around 6'-6" off the ground, that can work well for standing under....which way do you want it to flip" (ie. drivers side, pass. side, to the front?) Are you planning the Add a Room under the RTT? Planning to use the inside for storage or sleeping?

My RTT is about 6'-2" off the ground..I dont drive off road, but I have lots of weight in the trailer so I don't really find it tippy to date. I'll be home from work by 8pm and have dinner..then I'll go the mancave and get on my puter...get any changes you want ready and I'll work on it a bit tonight before bed...I'll be your little Sketch Up b i t c h ....lol :flipoff2:

Pat

Damn, Man! Do you do dishes and vacuum too? I'll dump my wife if you're available?

6'6" is plenty good for me. Probably have tent go off the passenger side like I do on the truck. Hadn't really thought about options that way yet.

Like the awning idea somewhere in the mix too.

Changing room I have, but haven't used it much yet. I like the idea though.

I have to go cook chicken on the grill so I'll check back with any more thoughts as I stare at the trailer in my driveway.

Thanks again. If I wasn't a 40 year old, married lesbian with 4 kids, I'd be all over that. You sounds perfect. :flipoff2:

What axle measurements will I need hubface to hubface? Isn't it like 63" or so for the 80?

Trying to figure out so I can order the axle and have it line up with however I do the fenders, based on backspacing of stock LC 16x8 wheels. Lot of variables right now I guess.

Will get a better picture of existing trailer to show what I'm working with.

Before this is done, I can already foresee just building a new trailer frame right away and skipping the old trailer altogether. :) It's basically only additional sq tubing and a coupler anyway. I know, I know....................:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom