Ye Old Busted Knuckle Stud (options?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i got to checking torque values now that i can get under my rig with new coils.

one of the "inner" nuts is spinning and word seems to be that it is either a stripped thread in the knuckle housing or a broken stud?

what is the proper plan of attack for this? options?

i had not intended on doing a full break down of the axles for six months to a year as i have other things i need to sort. at the same time it may be important for me to road trip.

is there a down and dirty way of taking care of this prior to a full disassembly?

can i buy a time sert kit and walk into my local land cruiser shop and see if they are willing to get me in?

as it stands i just stopped turning it since it did not seem like it was going to take anything.

second image is my trying to figure out how to get a torque wrench on the outer bolts. but i guess i should just snug them up with some heavy force (71 ft lb) on a crescent wrench?

THANKS

someone gave me this link but i think it is going to be down the road a bit before i can get to doing anything beyond a repair? or is there something i may as well spend the money on now if i am this far into it?!

IMG_5423.jpg

IMG_5424.jpg

IMG_5425.jpg

IMG_5426.jpg

Well, you need to figure out if its a stripped stud, nut or knuckle.
Will it come apart?
Then you can see what needs to be replaced/repaired.
If its spinning in reverse, try wedging something (stiff putty knife sharpened to an edge) between the parts to help whatever has stripped to find some grip on any remaining threads.

Well, you need to figure out if its a stripped stud, nut or knuckle.
Will it come apart?
Then you can see what needs to be replaced/repaired.
If its spinning in reverse, try wedging something (stiff putty knife sharpened to an edge) between the parts to help whatever has stripped to find some grip on any remaining threads.
hey man. thanks.
so i do see now it is a threaded stud and the nut. i wasn’t sure what to do and i am not totally sure i can fix it immediately if there is in fact something wrong.
can i run the nut in reverse or double nut it and see if the stud comes out easily?
or you are saying get some pressure under the nut and try to tighten it to see if it comes out?

hey man. thanks.
so i do see now it is a threaded stud and the nut. i wasn’t sure what to do and i am not totally sure i can fix it immediately if there is in fact something wrong.
can i run the nut in reverse or double nut it and see if the stud comes out easily?
or you are saying get some pressure under the nut and try to tighten it to see if it comes out?

Get some pressure under it and LOOSEN it to see if the stud comes out, or the nut comes off. Just get it apart so you tell what failed, then figure out the fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom