Yamhill, OR to SLC, UT offroad routes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MDarius

I break stuff.
SILVER Star
Threads
My daughter left for college and I delivered her open diff '92 FJ80 to my brother in Yamhill, Oregon. He's already added a 9k winch and is planning more upgrades and maintenance, so this is a win. When she finishes in 2 years and comes home, we're planning an offroad trip to return the rig to its home base in Utah. We're planning 2 weeks during the summer of 2023, 10 gallons of extra fuel per vehicle, and as little pavement as possible. With only 28 gallons of fuel, we'll be eating at gas stations and truck stops sometimes. This is not the Australian outback. We all need gas station burritos on a road trip now and then. I'm not a caveman!

I've ordered some maps, we're looking online, and upgrading/preparing our rigs. If you've got suggestions for routes or trails that are a "must do" along the way, or want to join for a section of the trip, chime in! Right now we have the 92 with open diffs and a winch (might get a rear locker before the trip), my 3x locked 97 (might regear), my friend in his Sequoia that's getting upgrades, and my son on a Yamaha adventure bike. We'll probably stick with 33's on 3"+ of lift, unless there's a great reason to change that between now and then.

If you're not comfortable sharing a route in an open forum, but might like to keep your secret place secret and you are willing to share for a one-shot like this, I take PM's and would welcome what you've got! I'll update plans in this thread, if anyone is watching.

IMG_20200515_203034-EFFECTS.jpg

20210123_134209 (1).jpg

Currently planned upgrades:
-Sliders and undercarriage/cat armor for both rigs
-Winch for the Lexus
-70% possibility of a rear locker for the 92
-New shocks for the 97. I've got OME Mediums in the rear thanks to a mistake at the shop. Need heavies or a different option. I load pretty heavy and the roof rack adds a lot on top.
-Limb risers for the Oregon underbrush
-Repairs and maintenance on the electrical systems in both rigs. Both have slow starters and a few unreliable bits.

This sounds rad!!! 🤘

I'll get back to you after some route finding/planning. I go to southern Oregon about annually but always just bust it out on I-70 and 95 from winnamucca (but always wonder about off pavement routes).
I'll tap a buddy's brain too, he's a GIS guy, lives route-making and grew up in Dorris, CA, so knows S OR stuff.pretty well.

Check out stuff on softroading the west (Softroading the West: Respectful Exploration of our Public Lands - https://www.softroadingthewest.com/ and in YT @ ), Donald does rad trips all over OR, and is now in a 4WD upgrade from his modded Forester.

Let's Definitely rope in @retrofive @gnob @Hojack @ArBrnSnpr and some other folks from Bend and Sisters in on this! 🤘👍
I'd say OR to SLC via Idaho rather than NV should be the route.

Last edited:
Just caught up on this thread. I would recommend a northern rout through southern Idaho via Silver City, then backroads through Jarbridge. Then desert roads to SLC.

My daughter left for college and I delivered her open diff '92 FJ80 to my brother in Yamhill, Oregon. He's already added a 9k winch and is planning more upgrades and maintenance, so this is a win. When she finishes in 2 years and comes home, we're planning an offroad trip to return the rig to its home base in Utah. We're planning 2 weeks during the summer of 2023, 10 gallons of extra fuel per vehicle, and as little pavement as possible. With only 28 gallons of fuel, we'll be eating at gas stations and truck stops sometimes. This is not the Australian outback. We all need gas station burritos on a road trip now and then. I'm not a caveman!

I've ordered some maps, we're looking online, and upgrading/preparing our rigs. If you've got suggestions for routes or trails that are a "must do" along the way, or want to join for a section of the trip, chime in! Right now we have the 92 with open diffs and a winch (might get a rear locker before the trip), my 3x locked 97 (might regear), my friend in his Sequoia that's getting upgrades, and my son on a Yamaha adventure bike. We'll probably stick with 33's on 3"+ of lift, unless there's a great reason to change that between now and then.

If you're not comfortable sharing a route in an open forum, but might like to keep your secret place secret and you are willing to share for a one-shot like this, I take PM's and would welcome what you've got! I'll update plans in this thread, if anyone is watching.

View attachment 2773860

View attachment 2773861
Definitely watching this thread.
An option for you early in the trip might be the historic Barlow Trail, on Mt. Hood. Easy but fun wheeling, and great camping.
As for limb risers, once you’re 80 miles East of Yamhill, you’ll crest the Cascades and be in more open country…maybe not necessary unless you have show-quality paint jobs😎

@MDarius I think I recommended checking out some of Donald's videos from SoftroadingTheWest on YT. He does some great adventuring, storytelling and videography and now has a 4x4 upgrade from his modded Suby.

Anyhoo, just noted this 5-part series and about a minute into the first video he has a good track planned from bend E-SE...
(linked previously)

How's the planning coming along??!!

Last edited:
@MDarius I think I recommended checking out some of Donald's videos from SoftroadingTheWest on YT. He does some great adventuring, storytelling and videography and now has a 4x4 upgrade from his modded Suby.

Anyhoo, just noted this 5-part series and about a minute into the first video he has a good track planned from bend E-SE...
(linked previously)

How's the planning coming along??!!
Thank you! It's going pretty well. My budget isn't coming along. We had a couple of emergencies that pulled my maintenance/repairs/upgrades budget in other directions, so I really need to determine if I'll be able to get my '97 in worthy condition on time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom