Y'all dont laugh...anyone ever bought a RTT from a site called Alibaba (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll chime in with some experience I have.

Sites like Aliexpress and Alibaba are basically, as someone said, the chinese version of Amazon. I tried designing a few Shopify stores around the concept of drop shipping (many of the ads that show up on your facebooks are just that). People take products of their choosing from those sites, dress up the photos/ad copy/and video, and sell them on a drop ship basis here in the states and all over the world. Some are making boatloads of money. I pulled the plug on mine because I decided I hated being tied to technology and a computer.

Point being (while I never looked into RTT) the sites are legit in the sense that the products are real and in a lot of cases just unbranded versions of the same stuff we pay a lot more for once it's branded. Find a seller with good reviews and it probably can't be beat. What turns off a lot of people who look at the sites is the poor English, s*** pictures, crappy descriptions, etc. I'm sure, as with anywhere, you can find some bad sellers but with some leg work you should be good to go.

And damn it, I'm in the market for a RTT myself, never even thought to look there. I'll def be doing that now.

-Evan

Feel free to PM me and i'll be happy to share any more of my experience with everyone.

Met a fella in moab one in grand junction and one in texas ALL got tent your talking about fiberglass was so thi light came thru bedding made one guy sick and lift mechs on ALL did not work. they arent the same as an ARB roofnest etc.

It's very possible that the guys bought from the low end of the spectrum from Alibaba. I know for a fact that at least one of the newer companies is using a vendor on there because I recognized the photo on Alibaba and the US Vendor. Double checked and it was 100% the same photo that had been photoshopped to remove the Chinese street in the background and replaced with a nice western US vista. If you look very closely, you can still see Chinese stickers in the windshield and the buildings through the glass. Ironically, as I write this post, their ad with that picture is on my screen due to the magic of cookies and "AdChoices".

All that being said, I think it's sort of a buyer beware situation. However, Alibab does have something called "Trade Assurance". I'm not sure if it's all fluff or if they actually stand by their word:
1606490507440.png

For me, I'm looking at a hybrid that folds out like a soft shell tent that has a hardfloor that serves as the top when it's folded up. It even includes crossbars for cargo. The US vendor's version runs $3200 but I could get what I believe is a very close clone on Alibaba for $1300 including shipping. For me, $1900 (nearly 1.5 times the price) is a heck of a lot of money to pay for "insurance" that you are getting a quality product. However, this is only true if Alibaba is true to the Trade Assurance word and that if the product shows up and is a total piece of crap out of the box you can get your money back. I'm not as worried about long term durability since I'm not going to be using it as often as I wish I could.

Thank you @cosmicWy and others for your input!

It's very possible that the guys bought from the low end of the spectrum from Alibaba. I know for a fact that at least one of the newer companies is using a vendor on there because I recognized the photo on Alibaba and the US Vendor. Double checked and it was 100% the same photo that had been photoshopped to remove the Chinese street in the background and replaced with a nice western US vista. If you look very closely, you can still see Chinese stickers in the windshield and the buildings through the glass. Ironically, as I write this post, their ad with that picture is on my screen due to the magic of cookies and "AdChoices".

All that being said, I think it's sort of a buyer beware situation. However, Alibab does have something called "Trade Assurance". I'm not sure if it's all fluff or if they actually stand by their word:
View attachment 2507886

For me, I'm looking at a hybrid that folds out like a soft shell tent that has a hardfloor that serves as the top when it's folded up. It even includes crossbars for cargo. The US vendor's version runs $3200 but I could get what I believe is a very close clone on Alibaba for $1300 including shipping. For me, $1900 (nearly 1.5 times the price) is a heck of a lot of money to pay for "insurance" that you are getting a quality product. However, this is only true if Alibaba is true to the Trade Assurance word and that if the product shows up and is a total piece of crap out of the box you can get your money back. I'm not as worried about long term durability since I'm not going to be using it as often as I wish I could.

Thank you @cosmicWy and others for your input!

What did you end up ordering?

I ended up really messing up my RTT and i'm now flirting with the idea of replacing my lid DIY style, or just getting another tent and selling mine for pennies. that would still cost me less that one tent here in the states!

What did you end up ordering?

I ended up really messing up my RTT and i'm now flirting with the idea of replacing my lid DIY style, or just getting another tent and selling mine for pennies. that would still cost me less that one tent here in the states!

@cosmicWy , I ended up going with a CVT. They had 25% off their hybrids for Black Friday and I could pick it up at the Chattanooga store so there was no shipping. I really need something which would allow me to put some more cargo (kayaks) on top of the tent sometimes and the only other tents that would allow 2 kayaks (100 pounds) were things like the FSR Odyssey or Roofnest Falcon or their Alibaba counterparts. However, those tents were going to be just a bit too short for my long legs. You really have to do some serious searching right now to find pics of the CVT hybrids but they are very similar to the iKamper X-cover but cheaper and more cargo capacity.

All the pros lined up for me:
  1. Hard cover (aluminum diamond plate)
  2. Cargo capacity (150#) with included rails
  3. Interior length of 96"
  4. Weighs on 145#
  5. Optional extended fly with enclosed annex/room and floor
  6. Price after BF discount and 9.25% sales tax = $2400

We ordered one of these to use on our prototype overland trailer build.

Originally we were going to build our own. After we designed the aluminum shells and found a local mfg in Denver to create the tent for us. it got to where we couldn't but the materials for the same price we could get one of these.

I manufacture and import other products by the container from China so we threw one in the container. I've been using it for months and the only real complaint I have is that it doesn't close all the way if you try to leave your bedding in it. I haven't had water get inside, but I don't like that the rubber seal doesn't go all the way down on the opening edge if I leave my bags and pillows in it . It's relatively light (120 lbs or so), well built, and comes with a ladder, interior light, roof rack and a mattress.

I attached a couple pics of our test unit and a pic of one of the 10 that's currently on a boat. Realize if you order them yourself through Alibaba. Freight to the US will likely be $700-$1000.

We ordered 10 more to spec out with our trailers.

4W1A5741.JPG

#1.JPG

#5.JPG

That "test" unit looks like another RTT I've seen online but can't place it. Which RTT is it mimicking?

Looks like Roofnest or Area BFE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom