Yakima/Thule rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My recently purchased '99 Cruiser has the stock roof rack, but the rails themselves are inadequate to the task of securely carrying my two 17 foot kayaks.

For anyone in the know . . . what do I need? I had a Yakima rack that attached onto my '94 4Runner using clamps at the end of the roofline at the doors. The rack the straps, and the boat cushions worked, but didn't exactly exude quality in their construction. But that doesn't rule out that I wouldn't try another Yakima product. I just wouldn't use the same cushions with the built in straps.

I'd like to have both a rack and a place to carry the kayaks on top of the roof. Do Yakima and Thule replace the cross bars on the stock rack or the rack supports and use the stock rail or what?

Sorry I don't know the answer but I use Thule on my 80 and the quality is very good. I like it. But I think for your applications there will be some special racks.

Mike

Have you tried going on to Yakima.com and inputting your vehicle to get the recommended attachment system for your vehicle with factory roof rack?

I carry two 16 foot canoes on mine with the A1 gutter mounts, 78" cross bars, and gunwale brackets. These gutter mounts are tall enough to clear the factory system, so I don't have to take it off. I'm pretty sure the '99' doesn't have raingutters, so you'd have to get the different mounts.

By the way, this kind of stuff is all over the place on ebay. I got a smokin deal on my A1 towers. But go to Yakima site first to figure out what you need.

Rookie2 :beer:

I have the factory rack on my 80 and a Thule gutter mount system that uses the high feet (I forget the technical term for what they are called, but they are use on vehicles with high roof lines) and it works great. I haul kayaks, bikes, a ski box in the winter, a basket for wheeling trips in the summer.

Here are the best pics showing the rack that I can find.

fb4baf58.jpg

fbcdc94c.jpg

fbcddc22.jpg

fab8e093.jpg

12275936lg.jpg

Does your 100 series have rain gutters? If so don't get those lowrider towers from Yakima that attach to the factory side rails, instead get some rain gutter towers, so your cross bars are independent of the factory rack. One of these days I'll ditch my factory rack, since it's just along for the ride underneath my Yakima stuff...

Also check out used sporting goods stores, bike & ski swaps, etc., can get all that stuff for much less than retail and it's usually in pretty good shape.

FWIW you don't have to have the extended towers on the Yakima system to clear factory racks as seen in Nakman's picture. But this is all mute, cuz I'm pretty sure ole boy's '99' doesn't have raingutters. That being the case, he's probably stuck attaching to the factory rail.

R2

[quote author=Rookie2 link=board=2;threadid=10124;start=msg90347#msg90347 date=1074103757]
FWIW you don't have to have the extended towers on the Yakima system to clear factory racks as seen in Nakman's picture. But this is all mute, cuz I'm pretty sure ole boy's '99' doesn't have raingutters. That being the case, he's probably stuck attaching to the factory rail.

R2
[/quote]

You are right. No 100 has raingutters. He must use the factory rails.

Mike

I have a Yakima rack on my 99 100. It attaches to the factory rack system. It is a strong attachment system, but the mount is only as good as the stock cross bars on the stock rack. It is rated for like 100-150lbs I think, but as this picture shows, it is way under rated. Also ckeck out the racks at www.sleeofroad.com I think he told me they take out the factory cross bars and mount the new rack where the old cross bars used to be located, which sounds much stronger. Yakima has lots of attachments, check out their website.

-Matt

ps...No thats not me, I am taking the pic...hoping my rack doesnt break!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom