Yaesu FT-8800 - color change how to (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

treerootCO

Where are my keys?!
Threads
Website
home.comcast.net
Inspired by this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/electronic-toys/253505-green-back-light-yaesu-radio.html

Someone had to do it.
red.jpg
blue.jpg
3.jpg

Last edited:
Step 1 - Take your new FT-8800 out of the box
Step 2 - Take it apart
Step 3 - Behind the clear buttons you will find five SMD LEDs. The board is not marked positive and negative so make note of the LED orientation.
Step 4 - De-solder the LEDs. I use a solder sucker and zero force to remove them. Once all the solder is gone, they will fall off on their own.
Step 5 - Take the new LEDs out of the packaging, sneeze, and spend about an hour looking for them on the floor. On a serious note, make sure to ground yourself as static electricity will destroy the LEDs.
Step 6 - Solder the LEDs to the board. I used a small pair of tweezers to hold the LED and solder it a flat as possible. The LED will bend so before it gets pulled into the solder, the opposite end should be close to the same height. Polarity is marked with a green arrow on the back of the LED.
Step 7 - Reassemble.
Step 8 Optional - Squeal in joy that the thing still works when you turn it on.

Last edited:
The LEDs are 3MM

Take the 4 screws out of the back
Carefully separate the back panel, there is a strip that connects the RJ11
Flip up the clip to release the strip and separate.
Remove the knobs and the brass rings
Bend the tabs to remove the LCD
Unsolder/solder/and reassemble
DSCF7001.jpg
DSCF7011.jpg
DSCF7006.jpg

I have to laugh....

Now the big question: IF the stock colour of the Yaesu was Blue, would you have changed it to Amber???

:)

cheers,
george.

Treeroot, what do you say to helping a mudder out and swapping my 8800 to green?

Last edited:
LED Size

I have been looking for a good mod to do on my FT-2900R. What size of LEDs were in the FT-8800, 3mm? Also where did you get the LEDs for the mic mod?

-Donnie

Attempting the mic LED changeover. Had to buy a new desoldering iron first. By the way Kingbright, now packages the leds differently so they don't get scattered all over the floor.

I am wondering if blue makes it easier to read the display/keys in the dark or direct sunlight?

Here are the green LEDs wearsabrowncoat picked up from Kingbright. Part number APG1608CGK C/T. The camera makes it look a little greener than it is. I think it is a perfect match to the Cruiser green as it has a little more yellow in it in person.

DSCF6336.jpg
DSCF6336.jpg

Here are the green LEDs wearsabrowncoat picked up from Kingbright. Part number APG1608CGK C/T. The camera makes it look a little greener than it is. I think it is a perfect match to the Cruiser green as it has a little more yellow in it in person.

You guys are doing it the hard way! :) If you had a Kenwood radio, changing it to green to match your Cruiser is just a simple menu choice.

IMG_0734.jpg

If you don't have a solder sucker solder wick works pretty good. In fact, all I ever use for SMT re-work is solder wick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom