Green back light on Yaesu radio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How to: Green back light on Yaesu radio

Notes from changing my Yaesu FT-8900R's back ground color to green. The amber color has always bothered me since it doesn't match the rest of the switches and gauges on my dash. :crybaby:. Lots of the Yaesu Radios are similar so this may give those of you with other models the courage to get in there and switch things up.

First of all you will need two 3mm green 1000mcd LED's. I bought mine on FleaBay and had to get a bag of 100. By the way, I am selling extras on the parts page: https://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/253502-green-leds-yaesu-radios-$5.html#post3903037

Replacement of the LED's in order:
-Disassemble and unplug the display unit from transceiver and microphone.
-Unscrew the four screws at the back of the display.
-Strip the knobs (six parts) off the front panel and remove the 2 brass groove nuts from the lower squelch knobs.
-Gently separate the front and back of the display unit. This will give you access to two circuit boards connected by a wire.

-The LCD display is mounted to the front circuit board, locate the 6 bendable metal strips that hold it on and bend them to remove it. Don't use excessive force and once you have it off set it aside somewhere safe.
-On the display side of the circuit board you will see two LED's on the right side. They are bent over sideways. Bend them straight up. With a permanent marker, mark one side of the LED's so you know how it was oriented once out. More to follow.

-Gently pull the LED from one side of the circuit board while you heat the LED points from the other side with a small soldering iron. I found if you heat them evenly at the same time the LED comes out easier. Also if done carefully you should not have to remove or add any solder.

-Once the old LED's are out test them with a 9 volt battery to see which side has the cathode. Do the same test on your new LED's so you know which way to orient them when soldering them back in. Remember the marks I talked about earlier? :doh:

-To get the LED's in you need to position the LEDs on the front side and gently push while on the oposite side you heat with the iron. Be sure get them to the same orginal height because they need to be bent over to shine light on the display.

-Once in place, trim the extra length off the back of the LED's with a small wire clip

-Assemble in reverse order and enjoy your new matching display.:cheers:

Picture to follow.

Last edited:
No flash from camera so it is a little blurry. November 08 small.jpg
November 08 small.jpg

are these the stock radios that came in the fz780 series

No, this is to change the color on a Yaesu transceiver (ham) radio. Sort of like a super powertful kick ass CB radio that requires a Country Club (FCC) card to use.

I also had the back light die on my stock AM/FM/CD radio. I never opened it up to see what the problem was. It was the only excuse I needed to upgrade to a double din Kenwood NAV radio. If I still had the stock stereo I could open it up to see what type of light it needed but I tossed it.

Maybe someone knows for sure what type of replacement is needed but I never looked back after having the Kenwood.

Boydmick needs to see this thread! OCD in him has to have the green backlighting or he won't do the Yaesu!

Very cool! I wish this would work on my cheapy Cobra CB, but alas it is LCD. Maybe I should just get a ham too!

Cool, not that I need to change the lights on my Yaesu but because I never knew this forum existed and found it from your For Sale link. I got my Tech a while back (KDOFRX) but haven't gotten a radio yet. One of these days I suppose.

Cool, not that I need to change the lights on my Yaesu but because I never knew this forum existed and found it from your For Sale link. I got my Tech a while back (KDOFRX) but haven't gotten a radio yet. One of these days I suppose.

Ok I'm confused. Over 2000 posts and you never knew this forum existed.

edit :doh:I guess you mean the electronic toy forum not MUD...I see said the blind man to the deaf and dumb dog.( old saying my Dad used)

Hey wearsabrowncoat you will have to show me your ham radio setup this summer. Cell phones are worthless in ND, especially where I go hunting. I am intrested in getting one. Dont I have to take a class or something? I look foward to seeing your 80. I'll be cruising all over the place this summer.

No problem, I would be happy to show you.

Yes, you have to take a test. If you start studying now by taking the Technician pratcice test here: QRZ.COM QRZ Ham Radio Practice Tests once or twice a week until you get back you will pass with flying colors.

As of now the only testing location I see is down in Dickinson. That may be updated come the new year. If not we will have to make a raod trip - it would be a good time to do some trails around Roosevelt NP.

I received the LED's. Thanks. However, just as a FYI the LED's will not work on a Yaesu FT-2500. This model has mini light bulbs soldered to the board with little orange condoms to give them the color. So Now I need to source little green condoms for the light bulbs.

Thanks again,

Dynosoar:zilla:

Toyota uses little green condoms for the green lights in the 80-Series. Post up pics and dimensions and I'll let you know if they should work. Dan can get the green condoms if they will work.
-B-

Hey Beowulf the 60-series uses green condoms too. But the Yaesu ones are micro size, about the size (smaller) than a typical LED.

Dynosoar

Try the ones from AutoMeter for their guages. Thoase are a bit larer than LED size

Mark

I need them a bit smaller than LED size. Really small!!!!

Dynosoar:zilla:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom