Yaesu 8900 extended transmit mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
kartchcustoms.com
Yaesu 8800/8900 extended transmit mod

OK, Please don't let this turn into a discussion of whether this is right or wrong. I just want to show what is involved in modding a Yaesu FT8900 for extended transmit. I believe the procedure is the same for the FT8800. I'll check.

Click HERE for full instructions and pictures on the modification.

1 Radio overview.jpg

Last edited:
I found this picture that shows the location on the FT8800 of the diode strip. It looks a little different than the 8900 but bascially the same.

ft-8800-trx.jpg
ft-8800-trx.jpg

similar mod to that for the 7800 where you have to remove the "lower" resistor jumper (R1288).

a bit confusing cuz 2 different documents show 2 different resistors locations but should perhaps be obvious when opened up... looks like there are some differences between the US and euro models too. caution required I think.

Last edited:
Looks like the closest diode to the corner.
Not too hard.

Regards

Alvaro

why do you keep on calling these things diodes?

you guys happy with the 8900? Im thinking of getting into radios etc, and have been looking at this fellow... good buy? It wont do air band or marine band will it?

I really like the radio. There's probably a reason to question the practicality of FM 6 and 10 meter though. I got it to expand the usefulness of cross band repeat using 6 meter simplex.

If you don't need the extra bands, I'd probably look at the 8800. Memory management on the 8800 is a little different than the 8900 as well.

The dual receive is wonderfull. There is also a home channel scan that is really useful. With it I can monitor two channels on one side of the radio while scanning all frequencies on the other side.

There is an AM receive mode that I use to scan aircraft frequencies. Along with every open repeater in AZ, I also have police, fire, fbi, fema, dps, some other public service freq, FRS, GMRS, aircraft, and some others. Like all HAM radios, it doesn't scan fast enough to be a super effective scanner. At some point I will get a dedicated scanner.

Anyway, back to your original question. The 8900 is a great radio. For the price differential I felt it was worth getting the FM 6 and 10m. Go to Eham.net and look at the reviews of anything you might be interested in.

Last edited:
Would you be willing to share the list? :)

Sure! I can send either the excel spreadsheet or if you are using the same programing software and have the same radio I can send the direct programming file. Let me know.

are there any simmilar radios that can both receive AND transmit on FM as well as AM? im looking for a unit I can use when wheeling, but also use for work (Airband)... and id rather not have to dish out for two radios...

x2...is there a possibility of transmission and/or reception on UHF and VHF aviation bands with this mod?

x2...is there a possibility of transmission and/or reception on UHF and VHF aviation bands with this mod?

Couldn't tell you. Here's what the mod leaves you with on the FT8900. There may be more but this is what I'm sure of.

TX: 28-29.7 / 50-54 / 144-148 / 150-170/ 430-470 MHz (USA)
RX: 28-29.7 / 50-54 / 108-180 / 320-480 / 700-958 MHz (Cellular blocked in the US)

TX: FM
RX: AM/FM

I may be wrong but dont the AV bands use AM still, This is an FM radio

Mark

There is an option in programming that allows reception of AM but it is FM transmit only. I can scan aircraft and DPS AM bands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom