Y107R vs y147T (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys
Well I gave in and bought a set of glow plugs from parts source: part #NGK y 147t
I pulled out my old ones, and they are the 107r’s, they are a bit different in design since the y-147t have a longer thread and stick out more. Now I have major issues starting, I’ll take them out and clean the paint of since I believe they might not be making good contact, and then I can take pictures of both.

Any pros or cons for using one or the other?
What plug will suit me? 84 bj60 Canadian 12v, do I have the superglow system? How do I check?

see post #27 on this thread:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tec...umber-thread-no-chit-chat-parts-requests.html
for glowplug part numbers.
(edit: the above linked thread is a sticky. It's at the top of every page in the Diesel tech and 24V systems forum)

I don't see a Y107R. Was it listed as stock, or did the parts person just say it was 'compatible' with your application?

Sorry, can't help with the superglow issue... (Mine's manual 24V) Other folks should pipe in.

84 BJ60 should be 12V super glow system. not sure on the part #s....I want to replace mine as well....

good luck

Hopefully you did not rely on the Parts Source for the part number unless you are you mad or enjoy aggravation way more than I do...

My handy NGK catalog I downloaded from here: NGK: Download tells me that a Y-107R is a 10.5V plug and a Y-147T is a 10.5V plug but the Y-147T is 13mm taller!

I am not nearly a B engine expert but a GP that is 13mm longer than the the (hopefully) correct one sounds like bad juju to me.
image001.jpg
image002.gif

I was under the impression ngky-107r are 6v and the 147's are 10.5v and would take longer to heat up more resitance so with a super glow system the 12v would cause a bad/rough start up
when i switched to a wilson switch i pulld my 6v plugs and replaced with the 12v cause you can fire the for a minute or more without burning out the plugs

ok so I barely started this morning .. @#$%

one hour ago in a really cold and dark parking lot pulled out the 147's and put the burnt 107's back in since they worked much better then the new ones :(

anyway posted some pictures, sorry for the dirty engine but its way to cold to do anything other then ... change your glow plugs ...

jasonmnt : thanks for the diagram and yes your right the 147 is longer but still fits i did some reading on mud and apparently it is the correct part

big blue: they are both 10.5, unless the stamping is incorrect, i also did a quick test with them, connected them using my jumper cables straight to the battery and the 107's glow up much quicker then the bigger 147's

splitbuseric: yeah I under the impression that it is the superglow system although i have no idea how it looks like or behaves

So if someone could identify from my (yes very bad quality) pictures if it is a super glow system and what are the glow plugs actually suppose to be voltage wise and part # wise

ohhh did some quick measurements im at 6.5 volts when glowing and 12 to 13 volts on a open circuit when glowing which seams really weird, i thought that the voltage drop across the glow plugs would be relatively small since its almost a short

will look into the manual, and more deeply at the cables on friday
until then

someone smart please say if its the super glow if so which glow plugs do I need, ... apparently we, since there is more interested.
IMG00016-20090303-1835.jpg
IMG00018-20090303-1845.jpg
IMG00019-20090303-1846.jpg

There are also different styles of glow plugs, a NGK "R" GP is a QGS style GP (Blue on the graph) whilst the "T" GP is a Rapid glow plug (Yellow on the graph) hence their different performance.

The EPC gives you a PN of 19850-68050 for a 84 CDN BJ-60 which is a 6v glow plug, this has no NGK cross but will cross to a HKT PT-146 QGS type and to the Bosch GPT-214 and Champion CH-125.

I would make sure that your superglow system is working BEFORE committing to 6v GP's.
image001.jpg

they took back the plugs ... wow, used, no box, no recite .. nice
anyway they didn’t have anything to match your part numbers

Anyway so next the question is: are there any pros (over the wilson switch) of running a super glow system, why is it “super” does it glow quickly or something?

The Y107R are not the correct plugs for your BJ60 - too short.

The 10.5V Y147T units are found on BJ60s with manual glow or the adapted "Wilson switch".

You need a glow plug that's about 6V for your super glow to work properly. Sorry, I don't have the part number handy

~John

I've started modifying the glow plug part number list in the "Part Number" thread as I see info come in, or as I am pinged by PM.

That list does confirm the Y147T is the correct size plug, however if you have a functioning superglow system it is not the correct application. As John says, you need a hotter plug. I have never been able to find, nor seen a 6V-12V NKG plug the proper size for the Cdn superglow application. There are a few other manufacturers listed, but I have not tried them.

Here is what is listed currently:

Glow Plug Numbers
Manual 12V

10.5V for a 12V Cruiser
1980/10 – 1981/10 Cdn Spec BJ60
Toyota=19850-68010 12V-10.5V
Nippon Denso=067100-1330
NGK 7493 (Y-147T old number)
Bosch 0250 202 058

8.5V plugs for a 12V Cruiser
Toyota 19850-68030 12V-8.5V
NGK Y-128T
ND 067100-1350
APS 5013
EIKO GT208
JKT PT104
MAY PT104

Manual 24V

1980/08 – 1981/10 BJ42
1978/03 – 1980/06 BJ40
Toyota=19850-68040 24V-20.3V
Nippon Denso=067100-1161
NGK 3030 (Y-178T old number)
Bosch ???

Superglow 12V

1981/10 – 1985/10 BJ60
1984/11 – 1986/08 BJ70
Toyota=19850-68050 (51) 12V-6V
Nippon Denso=067100-1680
NGK ???
Bosch GPT-214
HKT PT-146 QGS type
Champion CH-125

Superglow 24V

1986/08 --> BJ70
1985/10 --> HJ60
1981/10 – 1984/10 BJ42
Toyota=19850-68060 24V-14V
Nippon Denso=067100-1460
NGK 2188 (Y-197R old number)
Bosch 0250 202 076

Anyway so next the question is: are there any pros (over the wilson switch) of running a super glow system, why is it “super” does it glow quickly or something?

When the super glow starts mucking up is when most people switch to the Wilson switch (manual control, for smoother and feathered starts).

but why not fix it? why move away from the original? just to have an extra switch on your dash?

Because when the original Superglow timer bites the dust it is way too expensive to replace. The wilson switch conversion gives you better control over your cold start and has less parts to fail down the road. I just converted my 84 BJ60 to it as my timer was shutting the glow off after 3 seconds in the cold....this mod works great.

BTW, I am a little over an hour from Hamilton if I can help you out at all... I have a heated shop, bring your truck by if you like and we can take a look....

I believe you are looking for a 6V plug to retain the factory Superglow system. I still have factory plugs in my converted truck, but plan on swapping them for 10.5 volts when needed..Make sure your superglow system is working properly before buying new plugs specific to it....This can be done by placing a voltmeter on the busbar between the plugs and watching the voltage as the key is switche to ON position before starting. There should be a strong voltage for 10-15 secs (depending on outside and engine temps) followed by a weak afterglow voltage which smooths the engine out once started.

I would check this before buying new plugs specific to the superglow systems... FWIW going manual costs less than $20 and takes about 1/2 hour to do...

Good luck

Eric

I could not find correct aftermarket glowplugs that cross reference to either the old or new Denso numbers for 12V 3B superglow in BC. But you can order aftermarket plugs for the 2C series Camry diesel that are 7V (go figure). They are very close to identical dimensions to the 3B plugs. I have a set of these from Bosch in my BJ60. Don't have the part number here but it is listed in most parts books.

I could not find correct aftermarket glowplugs that cross reference to either the old or new Denso numbers for 12V 3B superglow in BC. But you can order aftermarket plugs for the 2C series Camry diesel that are 7V (go figure). They are very close to identical dimensions to the 3B plugs. I have a set of these from Bosch in my BJ60. Don't have the part number here but it is listed in most parts books.

Looks like a NGK Y-146R which crosses to a HKT PT-107 QGS Style, Bosch GPT-212 and Champion CH95, the picture below compares it to a Y-147T which is the correct GP for a non superglow 3B:
image001.gif

That is awesome information, ill see if I can even get those plugs, and how much they are,
greg_B you should probably update your list ...

That is awesome information, ill see if I can even get those plugs, and how much they are,
greg_B you should probably update your list ...

These are available as Bosch 80018 or an NGK 7492 (new number). Prices will be in the $28 - $40 range depending on your discount level and availability. These are in my system locally, and I can get them overnight.

~John

John:

Do you have a online source for a NGK catalogue with the “new” numbers rather than the Y-XXX’s?

John:

Do you have a online source for a NGK catalogue with the “new” numbers rather than the Y-XXX’s?

Not online per-se. I use an interchange listing that's available through my parts databases (supplied by parts vendors).

~John

John:

Not online per-se. I use an interchange listing that's available through my parts databases (supplied by parts vendors).

~John

Looking at the NGK catalogue again it looks like we are using different numbers to reference the same part. I am used to using the part number because the interchange information I have is based on NGK part numbers but you are using the order number for interchange?
NGK.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom