Wrenching Wednesday Updates: (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just in time for the relic run, right??
Yes, sir! Of course, I forgot to tighten up the lug nuts before I took it around the block to make sure the brakes worked... Won't make that mistake again! :bang:

And I've finally had the missing caliper bolt experience!!! Driver's side - one lost, the other almost falling out. Passenger side - both needed to be retorqued. No drama, just stopped to have a look when I heard a grinding noise. Guys, check your nuts!

Gave my poor hood a little love. Ended up just spraying with semi-gloss black since it’s what I had on hand. The last photo shows how it looked when I started. I tried painting it a while back but I didn’t sand the clear coat enough and it kept flaking off. Made sure I didn’t make that mistake again.
A3F4A7F2-90CB-46FD-8C27-13108DC707FB.jpeg
A9F68F79-41D0-49D1-943D-9BBB470D44BB.jpeg
AF5638FB-9CD7-4657-BF45-48775C162404.jpeg
263CAFFB-8890-4664-A8C2-A9003D7E2AB5.jpeg
0D43D97E-4446-409C-8B23-C1BBBD8EFEAB.jpeg

Thank you David for helping me straighten out the new distributor! She fires up right away now and run sooo much better.
FFC06985-2540-4DFF-88FD-0A78862CECB1.jpeg

She’s a work in progress... 1979 with 71k original miles but has some cancer that we need to clean up. I installed a new DUI ignition,wires and plugs but messed it a little. david fixes it right away.
8DBABB0E-736C-4FD9-847E-930C7F6323FF.jpeg

593E6545-8194-4FD4-8DA4-2A5849BCA412.jpeg

She’s a work in progress... 1979 with 71k original miles but has some cancer that we need to clean up. I installed a new DUI ignition,wires and plugs but messed it a little. david fixes it right away.

David is good that way, for sure. Besides the cancer, is she running and stopping okay? I think the 1979 came with 3:73 gears, so you should be able to keep up with traffic on the highway. Or at least the sections that have 60 MPH speed limits. You're going to have to bring it over, I have some parts that you could use (license plate bracket, lights, rubber seals from what I can see). My wiring isn't perfect, but it works. Kinda.

Aussie locker is in finally.

Nice, I love mine. I had to completely redo my initial installation because the shims weren't measured perfectly... Not trying to scare you, sir, but before you put it back together, I'd double and triple check the gaps. Enjoy!

Nice, I love mine. I had to completely redo my initial installation because the shims weren't measured perfectly... Not trying to scare you, sir, but before you put it back together, I'd double and triple check the gaps. Enjoy!

Thanks for the advice. The reason it took me so long to install it is because my thrust washers were too thick and the thinner ones I ordered from Toyota were out of stock. Thankfully they came in just a few days later and everything is now in spec.

David is good that way, for sure. Besides the cancer, is she running and stopping okay? I think the 1979 came with 3:73 gears, so you should be able to keep up with traffic on the highway. Or at least the sections that have 60 MPH speed limits. You're going to have to bring it over, I have some parts that you could use (license plate bracket, lights, rubber seals from what I can see). My wiring isn't perfect, but it works. Kinda.

Thanks! I’m bleeding the brakes this week. Front calipers would stick, right then left now not at all. May replace calipers, rotors, pads and lines...
I have the new gutter to fix the top. Hope to weld up the 4 pieces this week. Then can tackle the holes...ha
Engine was de-smogged, headers and Weber added. She has good pep:) (now with good spark)
Can definitely use the tag holder. Purchased the headlight relay, led, glass lens kit. Just haven’t installed

Thanks! I’m bleeding the brakes this week. Front calipers would stick, right then left now not at all. May replace calipers, rotors, pads and lines...
I have the new gutter to fix the top. Hope to weld up the 4 pieces this week. Then can tackle the holes...ha
Engine was de-smogged, headers and Weber added. She has good pep:) (now with good spark)
Can definitely use the tag holder. Purchased the headlight relay, led, glass lens kit. Just haven’t installed
I just did the calipers, rotors, pads, and lines... You're about to be surprised by the early design of the rotors... To replace them you have to hammer out the wheel studs and then press them back in; they are retained by the hub. I went ahead and ordered replacements instead of reusing the old ones because mine were either a) too long OR b) original and already pressed in multiple times. While you're in there you might consider doing the knuckles and trunnion bearings... Just a thought... It was VERY messy, and time consuming (for me), but not hard at all and the kits aren't very expensive. Being late models, you and I have the same setup, if you happen to have questions.

I just recently learned of the headlight kit that Toyota came out with - I went ahead and ordered it. I like the brightness of the CityRacer Headlights, but I don't like the look. I'll probably put them on the 45 or sell them really cheap to @dbenke.

I just did the calipers, rotors, pads, and lines... You're about to be surprised by the early design of the rotors... To replace them you have to hammer out the wheel studs and then press them back in; they are retained by the hub. I went ahead and ordered replacements instead of reusing the old ones because mine were either a) too long OR b) original and already pressed in multiple times. While you're in there you might consider doing the knuckles and trunnion bearings... Just a thought... It was VERY messy, and time consuming (for me), but not hard at all and the kits aren't very expensive. Being late models, you and I have the same setup, if you happen to have questions.

I just recently learned of the headlight kit that Toyota came out with - I went ahead and ordered it. I like the brightness of the CityRacer Headlights, but I don't like the look. I'll probably put them on the 45 or sell them really cheap to @dbenke.
The rabbit hole...”I just need to bleed the brakes...” ha

The rabbit hole...”I just need to bleed the brakes...” ha
It's a good rabbit hole!!! As David enlightened me: It's not worth rebuilding the calipers, just take your old ones up to the dealer and swap 'em out for factory remanufactured units.

I just had a similar issue with brakes. I did rebuild my calipers on 88 FJ62. The dust seals had busted long before I got it and the pistons had crud all over them. It took some scrubbing and a lot of brake cleaner, but they got cleaned and working well. I think the rebuild kit costs under $20.

Now I am having issues with my master cylinder locking up every now and again. Is it worth trying to rebuild it or should I just junk it and replace? My budget tells me to try and rebuild, but my gut is telling me I’ll probably have to replace it anyway. Any Thoughts?

I just had a similar issue with brakes. I did rebuild my calipers on 88 FJ62. The dust seals had busted long before I got it and the pistons had crud all over them. It took some scrubbing and a lot of brake cleaner, but they got cleaned and working well. I think the rebuild kit costs under $20.

Now I am having issues with my master cylinder locking up every now and again. Is it worth trying to rebuild it or should I just junk it and replace? My budget tells me to try and rebuild, but my gut is telling me I’ll probably have to replace it anyway. Any Thoughts?
Upgrade to a 4Runner master...cheap and larger piston gives much better braking...

I have the
View attachment 2257644
View attachment 2257649
I just repaired the Ambulance door rust with epoxy and fiberglass... I think it turned out great.
C72EC02B-A963-48CE-8536-21EE64DB1632.jpeg

783CEF66-18D9-43F5-A247-443AC35FCFC6.jpeg
C72EC02B-A963-48CE-8536-21EE64DB1632.jpeg
783CEF66-18D9-43F5-A247-443AC35FCFC6.jpeg

Sometime it’s the small things. My floor shifter has never lit up and I found out it was supposed too so I dropped a LED bulb in there. Also added one to the ring around the key hole.
B99FF878-51F3-41C7-AFA1-42C5100F93CA.jpeg
768ABE44-370F-4A03-A2AB-B8848759ECD8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom