Would You Buy a Diesel 200? (1 Viewer)

Would a diesel option for the NA200 succeed?

• We'd all be at the dealership in the morning. It would be a hit.

Votes: 46 56.8%
  • I would definitely buy one, but I'm not so sure it would work.

Votes: 19 23.5%
  • It almost certainly would never work in the NA market.

Votes: 16 19.8%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

toyota.jp/landcruiser/ - Translator

トヨタ ランドクルーザー | トヨタ自動車WEBサイト

Interestingly, Toyota also sells the most expensive trim level of the Land Cruiser in Japan for about 60,000 dollars (~23k less than the US market) with the 4.6L V8 and 6 speed transmission.

Actually, in Japan, even the most expensive trim is lacking a lot vs the USA model, which comes fully optioned, and you have to add option packages (wish we had that option too). The prices get a lot closer when you add all the options, well over 70k in Japan. When you take into account tariffs, Toyota probably makes more $$$ off a fully optioned Japan version.

When the FJ Cruiser sold in the US for low 30s, the sr5 4runner in the low to mid 30s, Tacoma the same, then a basic US spec 70 would not need to cost near what the 200 does as implied earlier in the thread. That is simply lunacy. I understand there may be a cost to develop a US spec diesel, bit that could be carried through all the Toyota light SUVs and Tacoma.

But as I said, a US 70 would compete in the customer demographic Toyota has with the 4R, so it will never happen, even if the 4R lacks what some of us want... i owned a 85 fj 60, and it was perfect. Wish I could get a brand new one today. Took that thing everywhere.

An updated 40 would also have a strong following in the U.S., but Toyota is too conservative to jump into that market. Just look at the $$$ poured into Cheeps. Rubicon 4drs start at $42k. An optioned out Rubicon is over $50k, and they sell quickly, even with poor quality ratings.

A 40 would be a welcome addition to the space. Instead Toyota reveals removable fog lights and fridges in the rear tailgate. LOL.

The simple lunacy number was derived from private conversations with Toyota insiders.

The case for a stripped down 70 is one of those that's more romantic in our minds than reality. Like bammA mentions, Toyota has a bunch of 4x4 models already at those price points.

The other reality is that in the US market, no one buys stripper models. It's all about features and content. We barely want to pay for good bones. We've been conditioned to shop based on comparisons, metrics, and feature checkboxes. The 200 series already gets whacked in just about every comparison, where reviewers either dismiss the HD build compromises, or don't get it at all. A SFA diesel stripper 70 series couldn't be comprehended on the merits if durability, simplicity, and truckiness, as those qualities simply aren't in the American consumer lexicon.

@cruiserdan So what model is getting the diesel that @beno mentioned ?

Tacoma is my guess

Quite frankly I do not care. Neither vehicle has a solid front axle so they hold no interest for me.

My guess is Tacoma since the Tundra is not in the 3/4-1 ton segment.

What I find interesting about that is Toyota is probably going to have to do a fair amount of tech training at all their service centers. Hasn’t been a diesel in the stable in a long time. But maybe it’s all power point now.:meh:

What I find interesting about that is Toyota is probably going to have to do a fair amount of tech training at all their service centers. Hasn’t been a diesel in the stable in a long time. But maybe it’s all power point now.:meh:

Toyota dealership techs do not fix anything.

The computer tells them what is wrong and what to do.

Technicians will soon be phased out. It will happen in our lifetime.

Late next year or 2019?

Man, this is like waiting for Game of Thrones season 8 !!

A non-V8 compact pickup with IFS is hardly invigorating.

A non-V8 compact pickup with IFS is hardly invigorating.

Perhaps, and it certainly is much less than I would want, and I would have no interest in it if it were not offered with a diesel option. But the strong reality is we will never see a SFA Toyota 4x4 offered in NA again, so I'll take what I can get... I really don't want to buy a diesel Rubicon. I trust J**p as much as I trust CNN.

:smokin:

As a closet Chrysler fan I would seriously consider a Jeep as a replacement for one of my solid axle Cruisers. You see I have an embedded love of both.
truck%20001[1].jpg
mybaby.jpg
July 14 2011 013.jpg

Oh, yes, I prefer red Mopars.

Most likely.

Irrelevant however unless supported by a solid front axle.

I'm sorry to say that the Chevy Colorado is better looking than the Tacoma.

This thread has gotten way off topic, but I suspect Toyota is being forced by market circumstances into offering the oil-burner option because Nissan, Ford, GM, Fiat/Chrysler will all have diesel options in the mid-size truck class, including the scrambler when released.

My priority would be SFA mid-size truck/SUV over a diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom