Would GX be a good substitute for a 100 Series? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been looking to replace my 80 series with a 100 but they are hard to find in my area. I just learned on this forum the GX is a LC (sort of) and seems to have the same drive train, towing capacity and similar options as a 100. The good part is there are more GX's around. This will be a daily driver/mall rig. Any reason I shouldn't consider a GX?
Thanks
Peter

Go drive one Peter. If it's big enough for you I would think you'd like it as well. The 100 is larger no doubt. The GX is too small for me and my needs.

Would the Lexus badge bug you? If not it's really just a lux'd up Prado. I'm not sure if the aftermarket stuff would be harder to find as it's mostly made for the Prado/120 and would have to be imported. If the GX will work for you might even take a look at a 4R as that will save you some $$ and with the V8 it's pretty much the same. If the V8 isn't essential I am enjoying the 18.5 mpg from my V6 4R!

The GX is great, I would def have it at the top 5 of my list.

Personally we found the GX provided more headroom and legroom than the 100 in the first 2 rows. The 3rd row on the GX is very limited, but the 100 is not much better. The 100 is wider and provide more interior width.

The cargo area on both are the same in total volume, but the 100 probably has more usable space,as it is wider vs higher on the GX. On both the dorky 3rd row need to be removed to get any real cargo space.

We looked at the 05 100 vs 05 GX when we bought back in 05. Both have great interiors and feel very solid. Personally I don't like the pre 03 100 interiors and think the 03+ 100s are much nicer inside.

Both of them ride very nice as well. It is preferable to get the GX with the KDSS suspension for improved handling. The GX does feel lighter and easier to maneuver around town, also much easier to park. Thus in the end it won as the :princess: was using it mostly. The 100 is definitely slower to respond in turns, harder to park, etc but the highway cruising felt a tad better than the GX.

If you however plan to modify the truck down the line you will be better of with the 100. There is very little for the GX apart from suspension parts and bling, armour will be custom for the most part on it. 100 seems to have much more useful aftermarket options for offroad use.

Personally I really like both, but the GX won out as it was much more useful in everyday use and driving. The :princess: also liked it much more :D

The wife drives a GX and she loves it. She calls it the SPA car. I prefer my 00 100 however the GX gets better fuel mileage and it actually pretty quick. I would recommend a 04 or newer with NAV so you can get the back up camera. If you find one with KDSS, jump on it.

Both are great.

We just went through the finding the :princess: a vehicle thing. We drove a GX, nice and solid, great features. Then she saw a V8 4Runner and fell in love with it. It was the color she wanted, she loved the ride better than the GX and my 100, and then she found out it gets 15 MPG in town. I already have the 100 so I wasn't thrilled with having 2 V-8 AWD vehicles. The Runner was really easy to park in tight spots, that little bit of width makes it easier to get around the mall. I liked them both, and they are a lighter feel than the LC. Then she drove the RX, it fits her better. We, er, she drove it home.

If you're going to wind up with it down the road, I'd go for the 4Runner for parts and goodies later.

You should see hydraulic lines running on the side of the frame rail (driver side). Also check the front lower control arms, you will see a beefy swaybar that has a link going to the lower control arm, instead of the swaybar link going to the spindle.

I got a pre KDSS 04 GX. :bang:. I love off roading in Lux :cool:. Life doesn't get better than that.

3268378978_425da91d9f.jpg

3113826161_6b35539785.jpg

3113843169_9364e3eb53.jpg

Does anyone know how to reset the auto door locks so they automatically unlock when you put your car in park?
Thanks
Peter
Had ours configured at the dealer. They can set a number of options. Unfortunately don't have the service manual for the GX, so don't know the steps for DIY (might require Toyota based scan tool).

I checked the 100 forum.
You close all the doors and set the paking brake.
With the rig in Park, you turn the Ignition switch to On and then press the rear of the door lock swtich on the driver's door for five seconds and release. If you've done it correctly, the door locks will cycle open and closed once.
Good luck
Peter

I don't know if my GX is a good substitute for a 100 but it's a damn good one for an 80 series. It did a great job towing my 40 back this weekend. I was impressed.
Peter

Peter...Did you tow on a trailer? I'm hoping to tow mine with my V8 4runner.

Phish
I rented a U-Haul trailer. As Jim C pointed out, they put the "adventure" in moving.
After I hooked up the trailer, the rear air suspension compensated for the extra weight and leveled the truck and trailer.
The GX did much better than my 80 power wise. The 80 sort of strained to pull the trailer with the 40 on it but it was no problem for the GX.
I wouldn't hesitate to tow my 40 long distance with the GX.
My 40 is stock and had the top on so unless you have a lot of heavy mods, you shouldn't have a problem.
Peter

Thanks for the info...It has some heavy mods (35" krawlers, winch, lift) but no soft top. Maybe one day I'll find my way down there to wheel with you guys.

FYI
We're going to Windrock the weekend of April 17th.
We camping and wheeling in the Daniel Boone NF the weekend of May 8th.
Make it happen bro.
Peter

4/17 I've got a golf and drinking extravaganza at Brightleaf in Harrodsburg
5/8 at Slade maybe a possible, I'll check with the boss.
Marty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom