Worse Smell: Gear Oil or ATF? (1 Viewer)

Which smells worse?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LndXrsr

AHC Aficionado
SILVER Star
Threads
Important question here: which smells worse, gear oil or automatic transmission fluid? Have been changing the fluids in my 100-series and can't make up my mind.

I feel like the ATF I've been using (Mobil 1) hits your hard up front, but that gear oil smell just lingers and really works its way into anything it touches. So I'm voting gear oil too.

Nothing beats burnt gear oil, i turn wrench for a living and in the last 30 years i can honestly say i have done all types of work in the industry and for 22 years i worked for Chrysler (Jeep,Ram,Dodge etc.) for some reason Jeep's are notorious for burning gear oil if not service. This one dealer i worked for in West Covina was a good size dealership our shop was located below the office one afternoon i tore down a Jeep rear end for noise (Very common) and off
course the smell was so bad good thing i was next to the shop door and let it vent about fifteen minutes later fire department showed up with two big fire trucks it was not unusual to see them come in from time to time but this time they evacuated everyone in the building and the shop and conducted an inspection no body said what were they looking for until one of the guys from the office told me someone reported gas leak and it dawned on me so quickly that i asked one of the fire fighter i know where the source of the leak and he told the captain and i pointed out go stick your head near the open diff. and the all i heard was we are out of here. I thought i was gonna be in the hot seat after that incident but nothing happened to me that day. :cheers:
Worst smell ever even the fire department showed up.

Nothing beats burnt gear oil, i turn wrench for a living and in the last 30 years i can honestly say i have done all types of work in the industry and for 22 years i worked for Chrysler (Jeep,Ram,Dodge etc.) for some reason Jeep's are notorious for burning gear oil if not service. This one dealer i worked for in West Covina was a good size dealership our shop was located below the office one afternoon i tore down a Jeep rear end for noise (Very common) and off
course the smell was so bad good thing i was next to the shop door and let it vent about fifteen minutes later fire department showed up with two big fire trucks it was not unusual to see them come in from time to time but this time they evacuated everyone in the building and the shop and conducted an inspection no body said what were they looking for until one of the guys from the office told me someone reported gas leak and it dawned on me so quickly that i asked one of the fire fighter i know where the source of the leak and he told the captain and i pointed out go stick your head near the open diff. and the all i heard was we are out of here. I thought i was gonna be in the hot seat after that incident but nothing happened to me that day. :cheers:
I said you a lot of mechanical work I've done a lot of engine changes short blocks long blocks Transmissions troubleshooting Electronics odb2 you name it. The question is why can't engine manufacturers install drain tubes that extend from the engine and transmission to the outside edge of the sheet metal or have a little door that you can open up and make it easy to drain the fluid'. My next vehicle "pray" is going to be electric. No more engine and transmission repairs !

Best ATF smell, Mikes racing transmission fluid

worst smell, burnt trans fluid. Beats gear oil any day of the week

Last edited:

i can appreciate that story both as a tech who has had to do the same thing to a trashed rear and stunk up the shop and as a fireman where youll see and smell some weird and terrible things

1602697020207.jpeg

This stinks the worst!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom