Working on a butchered carb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had some time yesterday afternoon so I wired in the connector on the carb and started it up. All the jets are the ones that came in the new carb. It idled at around 1000 and I couldn't get it much lower. I was able to set advance to 9º. Idle mixture adjustments didn't have much effect on idle speed. After 20-30 seconds at idle without bumping throttle, it would die.

My first thought is that it is running far too rich on the idle circuit. I haven't opened the carb up to check the slow jet sizes but have been looking for additional ones with little success. If Keyster is able to supply them in their rebuild kits, could they be a viable source of idle jets? I have a new pair that came with the kit I bought for the old carb but don't yet know if they are smaller than the ones that came in the new carb – I've read that the jets they put in their rebuild kits are often leaner than stock which I am hoping is the case.

My next thought is a combination of a too-rich idle mixture and a vacuum leak. All the vacuum lines are new and plumbed properly. I'm considering replacing the intake manifold gasket to eliminate it as a potential source of a vacuum leak. Is this a logical thing to do? I realize vacuum leaks are often a hunt and peck type thing, but what else may be an obvious culprit beyond the manifold gasket?

The gaskets on either side of the insulator look to be the cork-type and fairly tired (they also look home-made). I don't see a part for these gaskets in any of the diagrams which make me wonder if, similar to the lower oil pan gasket, that these are supposed to be RTV or some similar gasket material. Is this possible?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom