woooody ROTW (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woooody

el Jefe
Threads
IMG_9595.jpg

Specs

1972 (10/71) FJ40 factory softtop

Power Train
1975 2f
Mudrak HEI
Rochester 2 Jet
SM420 - Wardens plate - Orion 4:1
Mudrak Saginaw using Butch's frame plates
ARB front 1978 4:10 diff
Power Trax No Slip rear - 1975 4:10 diff
FJ60 Knuckles and disc brakes
GM rear discs
Newfield birfs
Pig cromoly rears
36 x 14.50 x 15 TSL Radials

Armor
Front Bumper - "Butch Built" - Butch Lewis
Warn 8274-50
Rear Bumper - Stout Equipment w/ 4x4Labs HiLift mount
Sliders - Paul Decker from original plans of Butch's
Cage - Paul Decker Family cage
Seat Frame - Butch Lewis
Fender Tubing - 4x4Labs

Suspension
Mudrak Spring Over/Shackle Reversal
OME heavy duty springs
MAF heavy duty greasable shackles
Rancho 9112s

Misc Stuff
Original Dashbox
BesTop Heated seats
Power Tank
ARB 61 l fridge/freezer
Roundeyes led interior
Roundeyes 7” headlights
Roundeyes led rock lights
BesTop Bikini
BesTop Soft top
Aqualu tailgate
Aqualu half doors

History

Bought in 1998 off of the Diablo Dealer. Managed to buy it minutes before fellow member Andy Plaine, after he posted it to the old LCML. Had the F, stock 3spd, and long jumpseats.

I primarily take this up on Rubicon, specifically for Rubithon. I’ve attended Rubithon for 9 years now, and am now the Cooking Committee. I’ve worked towards carrying less, as those who know me, know that I use to carry way too much. The ARB fridge has helped that greatly, but so has building and knowing the cruiser.

gatekeeper2.jpg

walker.jpg

rub_08_04.JPG

rub_08_07.JPG

All of the fabrication work has been performed by local fabricators.

Mudrak
Gary Kardum at Mudrak Custom Cruisers has done most of the mechanical upgrades, including the Spring Over and Shackle Reversal, as well as the SM420 and the Orion install. Gary used Butch’s power steering plates, which include a 1” frame extension, and extra plating on all sides. This has helped prevent any of the frame tearing that so often occurred. They have a triangular plate that allows the bumper to become the new frame crossmember. Gary did the rear frame repair, and installed the OME Heavies.

IMG_9574.jpg

Butch Lewis
Butch Lewis built the front bumper, which included the roller fairlead protection, as well as the winch motor protection.

IMG_9590.jpg

IMG_9575.jpg

Butch built the seat platform and the dual Optima mount.
IMG_9600.jpg

IMG_9601.jpg

Paul Decker
After Butch’s passing, Paul Decker stepped in to provide the sliders, based on Butch’s original designs.

IMG_9589.jpg

These are more than just a 2x6 box. If you look close, you can see a bend near the front, which I think is key to the aesthetics of the design.

Paul also built the family cage, which incorporates additional “noggin” protection with a forward “J” loop.

IMG_9576.jpg

IMG_9580.jpg

IMG_9581.jpg

The rear basket is also built by Paul.

IMG_9598.jpg

IMG_9599.jpg

4x4 Labs
Luke up at 4x4 Labs provided a couple of upgrades for me – a very simple HiLift mount, so that I could carry a 5 footer (piece of square tubing cut in half, with a stud welded to it)

IMG_9582.jpg

IMG_9583.jpg

He also put some tubing for the fender edging, as I was always pulling the lip in.

Before:
attachment.php

After:
bigsluice2.jpg

Others
The rear bumper and swing out was built by Stout Equipment, which closed their doors years ago. I’ve been pretty happy with their bumper, which has held up to the abuse fairly well.

IMG_9587.jpg

The dashbox was one of the first mods, done by the original makers of the dashbox at the PMC swap meet in 1998

IMG_9597.jpg

I’ve done most of the other work, including the 2f install 2 days before Rubithon. I’ve done the mechanical work, including the ARB, the powertrax, the disc brake conversion front and rear, the wiring (which needs to be overhauled), and most of the maintenance.

At my first Rubithon, I won a Power Tank, as well as a $350 Aqualu gift certificate, and wound up getting a set of half doors, and their rear storage tailgate:
IMG_9588.jpg

IMG_9585.jpg

IMG_9584.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet Rig. Makes me want to find another 40 and build it. I love the tailgate!

Thanks guys... I was most disappointed in not having the original tailgate, but have been very happy with the Aqualu set up.

"classic Mods" is kind of funny, we were talking about that earlier this year on a run... It seems like more and more rigs are getting linked, and running Danas... I've been pretty happy with this set up (knock on wood).

Nice truck, Woody !I like all the storage you have, lots of good upgrades. The Rubicon is one of those runs I need to do, as well as Moab. Great pics, Thanks:cheers:

ROTW

Yeah, but does the radio work?

Nice Job--:cool: that rig looks like it means business

Awesome!!! Makes me miss my 40.

You have a stepladder???

Awesome!!! Makes me miss my 40.

You have a stepladder???

Yup -- It's tough getting to the top of that basket, and depending on where we stop, it helps with access to the ARB.

I get as many "That's a great idea" as I do laughs ... But it's all fine.

yup, super stout rig. the BBQ ain't too shabby either....... :cheers:

doesn't your rig actually have to run to be ROTW?

you should have listed a things to get done to make the rig run:flipoff2:
you need a carb still?

trying to carry less....... thats funny! i'll miss the easter egg hunt for all the stuff you have stashed in the bushes along the rubicon. do you even remember where the case of vintage aged sierra nevada is?

your friend,
nick

Nice truck Ross. Thank you for answering my question about whether you can run an Orion behind an SM420 and a Warden plate adapter.:D Gotta call Mudrak.

Super nice rig. Looks like all the parts that went into it were very well planned.

The name Butch Baker sounds familiar? Correct me if I'm wrong, but is he the same guy who built the Zebranator?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom