Builds Won a '74 40 on a coin toss... (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ginmtb

'74 FJ40 - my first!
Threads
Well, the right to buy it at least... :)

So here's my story - I've been searching for a 40 now since the beginning of the year. I was hoping to make a deal happen with a fellow MUD member, but haven't had any luck so far. So I kept scouring Craigslist and unfortunately continued to come up empty handed.

Then one late night I see an ad posted in the Bay Area. The photos look promising, so I send a message. He replies back that several people are interested. I said hopefully I can look at it. He said he'll let me know, as one guy was in the same city as him. Sigh. Another missed opportunity it appeared. But he did say to call him tomorrow between 9-5 to set up a time to see it if it hadn't sold.

So next day I call and he said it hadn't sold yet. I needed to be at work that morning so I was at the office. After the one major obligation I had was over, I was on a conference call I really didn't need to be on. I call him back and say, "can I come see it today?" I said I could leave in 30 minutes and it would take me about an hour to get there. He said that should work but he was still waiting to hear from someone closer by. Ugh. So I hang up and can't focus at all on the conference call. Then I decide, screw it, I don't need to be on this call and text him that I'm leaving now and see him in an hour.

He calls me on the road and said another guy was coming from about the same distance away. I said, "a race huh?" But he said no he didn't want it to be that way. He then agreed to not sell the vehicle to anyone until we both saw it. Thought that was cool. Apparently the other guy talked to him as well on the drive down and said I'll pay $500 more and tell the other guy to turnaround.

I get there first and within the first 5-10 minutes I realize I want this thing. So I ask him, "if we both like it, how are you going to decide who to sell it to?" He said he really hadn't thought it out that far.

So the other guy shows up. I immediately tell him it is a piece of junk and that he shouldn't waste his time (joking of course). He's all over the thing and clearly likes it as well. So he pretty much asks the same question I did. Now we enter the awkward zone. The poor seller - he was a super nice guy and we hit it off. But there he was standing there with two people who wanted the vehicle very much. He said, "well all I can think of is a coin toss." Being the first to show up ready to buy I said, "well, when I sell stuff on Craigslist, I normally sell to the first one with cash." But then I said, "but I've taken the approach on the 40 search of 'if it's meant to be, it's meant to be and if it's not, it's not.'" So I told him to flip the coin. He assigned heads to the other buyer, and tails to me. He flipped the coin and it was tails! Relief.

The other buyer was cool, I think he was happy he even had a shot. He congratulated me and shook my hand. I wished him good luck in his search. So there you have it - quite an interesting story in getting this thing. I'm still kinda hoping for a '75, but maybe this one is "the one"... :). The deal was so good I could not pass it up. I'll include more info on what I got in additional posts.

IMG_8393.JPG

IMG_8395.JPG

IMG_8396.JPG

Okay here are some additional photos. I've got a little work to do, but it is running. It has what appears to be an oil leak. The windshield needs replacing (which is really too bad as it has the original Toyota sticker on it). The passenger side mirror is cracked. There is rust at the two rear quarter panels that needs fixing - but the sill is perfect! And there is just surface rust everywhere else it appears (oh wait, the passenger side ambulance door has some rust damage at the bottom of it). The tabs on the door that hold the arm that prevents the door from swinging wide open are missing on the driver side door. Some other odds and ends too. But overall I'm very happy with it. A friend has suggested that since it is so stock I try to get it as stock as possible. The biggest issue is the cut fenders for the flares. I have seen some patch kits for that so may consider it...

IMG_8421.JPG

IMG_8427.JPG

IMG_8429.JPG

IMG_8430.JPG

IMG_8431.JPG

Keep it original!!!! and fix what p/o's have done to it. And if you do, do any up grades make sure that it can be reversed easily ie bolt on stuff. It's only original once man

Mine is a jan/74 so it's not far off from yours. Just wish mine was this original

Keep it original!!!! and fix what p/o's have done to it. And if you do, do any up grades make sure that it can be reversed easily ie bolt on stuff. It's only original once man

Yes, I definitely want to do that. Like I said, the nice thing is not much needs to be done to it to get it back to original. Need to repair the cut fenders and find some steelies and I'm pretty much golden. I do want to add disc brakes to the front as these, while they do work, are more "slow downs" than "brakes" lol. I will of course keep the original stuff. I'm looking at a bolt on kit vs. one where you change the entire front end (way beyond my capabilities anyhow). Thanks!

Well your quarters are already cut and the rust near the tail lights is gunna be deep so get 2 new patch panels and cut out only what you need. Keep as much original metal as possible

I would try to stay away from ccot. Go with marks off-road or cruiser outfitters on parts and pacol has decent re-pops on panels. You will find a lot of great venders on here as well poser has a lot of stuff. Esp. If your going for rear disk breaks, he has every thing except the calipers for about 280 so he's reasonable and a super nice guy

Also sor has a lot of stuff but there just about the highest place to buy parts and there shipping is very high as well

I would try to stay away from ccot. Go with marks off-road or cruiser outfitters on parts and pacol has decent re-pops on panels. You will find a lot of great venders on here as well poser has a lot of stuff. Esp. If your going for rear disk breaks, he has every thing except the calipers for about 280 so he's reasonable and a super nice guy

Cool appreciate the advice! I'm new to the whole 40 world so I have tons to learn. MUD has been awesome but now that I own one I really have to start doing my homework!

Also cruiserparts.net has used and new parts. But they have mixed reviews on here. But I have ordered parts for years and never had a problem

Welcome to the madness!! And mud is the most valuable resource on the interwebs. I just wish they had community's like this for other cars ;)

Iv had the cruiser bug since I was 12 when I got my 74. And now I have 3 running ones and 2 parts trucks. There is something very special about these trucks that few cars can claim. It fuels our obsession and causes us to spend obscene amounts of money in these rust prone things :eek: Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom