Wisconsin Introductions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1st Name: Mikey

Town/City: Milwaukee and spend time near Black River Falls at the cabin on weekends... If anyone knows of good trails in BRF area let me know.

Rig(s) you wheel complete with mods if any: 2003 LX470... bought it this year and spent 3 months down in Texas with it this summer. Only changes have been the 33" BFG KO2's.

Past rigs you built up or have sold if any: '67 Dodge Powerwagon

Any special talents? : Mountain bikes, mechanical engineer, drummer

Town/City: Milwaukee and spend time near Black River Falls at the cabin on weekends... If anyone knows of good trails in BRF area let me know.

Rig(s) you wheel complete with mods if any: 2003 LX470... bought it this year and spent 3 months down in Texas with it this summer. Only changes have been the 33" BFG KO2's.

Welcome to the madness Mike. I am down in Racine but you will find that the upper rust belt is a lonely existence for us. Good to know you're here!

Welcome.

1st Name: Scott

Town/City: Fond du Lac

Rig(s) you wheel complete with mods if any: ‘74 FJ40, 4” lift, 35’s, flat fenders... too much diamond plate.

Past rigs you built up or have sold if any: same ‘74 FJ40, modified in 2002, still have it... time for rebuild again.

Any special talents? : trouble shooting, mech engineer, enjoy hunt & fish

Welcome to the club, glad to have you here. Any secret wheeling places you enjoy around Fond du Lac?

I live in Madison and have been trying my darnest to find decent trails. I even join the local chapter of RL4WD and went on a group ride but all they did were dirt roads :(

Rig(s) you wheel complete with mods if any: ‘74 FJ40, 4” lift, 35’s, flat fenders... too much diamond plate.

Past rigs you built up or have sold if any: same ‘74 FJ40, modified in 2002, still have it... time for rebuild again.

I haven’t wheeled around here ever. Just brought the 40 back down from our cabin where it’s been sitting barely used for 15 yrs. time to get after it again since rust wants to reclaim portions I “repaired” on the cheap initially. Wouldn’t know where to start finding trails around here go north is my only thought.

May be I should start a new thread but I would love to know if there are public trails to explore up north or even in UP.

Hi Scott, welcome to the madness........Wisconsin seems to be a lonely existence for us LC enthusiasts.

May be I should start a new thread but I would love to know if there are public trails to explore up north or even in UP.
Hello ClassyJalpy, not much legal wheeling left in Wisconsin that I know of. I was born here in Racine 48 years ago and did most of my wheeling in Black River Falls for the March Of Dimes scavenger hunts. Those chairity runs ended back in like 1994 when the DNR claimed that the 300 trucks per year that showed up for the cause, delivered too much damage to the land and the charity runs were forever cancelled. Other than BRF, I spent 20+ years of hardcore wheeling in Crivitz, WI and the surrounding area (The Pipeline). Unfortunately, many of those areas have also been closed down by the DNR as well. There used to be areas to wheel in Adams County, Mountain, etc but they were a bit before my wheeling days (Pre-1980) from what I understand. I would like to find some good trails closer to home as well. Here is one pic from Black River Falls, WI

Last edited:
I'm still here. Lately I fix them more than wheel them.

I have been out a couple of times in the last 4 months with a couple of different groups. Everything I have found so far is on the private property. Last weekend a local Madison group called 4 Lakes 4 Wheels set up a group ride at a farm in Columbus. There was may be enough track to spend about an hour or so.

There is also another place in Allenton called Homestead 1869. I spoke with the owner on the phone. They have some groomed trails and they are happy to open up the property for us if we can get at least 10 trucks to show up and pay $20 per truck. If there is enough interest, I can try to get us a day booked there.

Also, Black River falls forest has some forest roads open to public (I called the forest office to confirm). Those trails are pretty mild so may be more overlanding style than crawling. That's all I know.

I have been out a couple of times in the last 4 months with a couple of different groups. Everything I have found so far is on the private property. Last weekend a local Madison group called 4 Lakes 4 Wheels set up a group ride at a farm in Columbus. There was may be enough track to spend about an hour or so.

There is also another place in Allenton called Homestead 1869. I spoke with the owner on the phone. They have some groomed trails and they are happy to open up the property for us if we can get at least 10 trucks to show up and pay $20 per truck. If there is enough interest, I can try to get us a day booked there.

Also, Black River falls forest has some forest roads open to public (I called the forest office to confirm). Those trails are pretty mild so may be more overlanding style than crawling. That's all I know.
I would be up for any of it but my rebuild will take another 6 months or the winning Powerball numbers to complete sooner :D

1st Name: Van

Town/City: Milwaukee

Rig(s) you wheel complete with mods if any: 97 LX450, 3" Icon Lift and 315's, 88 BJ73, on 33's and ARB Bumper with 8274., 88 Suzuki Samurai

Past rigs you built up or have sold if any: Lots of Jeeps with lots of mods, multiple Volkswagen Vanagon Syncro's.

Any special talents? : What like installing a locker through the left side axle tube in the dark? :cool:

Welc
1st Name: Van

Town/City: Milwaukee

Rig(s) you wheel complete with mods if any: 97 LX450, 3" Icon Lift and 315's, 88 BJ73, on 33's and ARB Bumper with 8274., 88 Suzuki Samurai

Past rigs you built up or have sold if any: Lots of Jeeps with lots of mods, multiple Volkswagen Vanagon Syncro's.

Any special talents? : What like installing a locker through the left side axle tube in the dark? :cool:
Welcome to the madness Van. Glad you are here.

Introductions

1st Name: Will

Town/City: Belleville

Rigs you wheel complete with any mods: '94 FZJ80 Stock. Had it for the past eight years. Bought it before I moved out of CO. Needs TLC. Just started to bring it back from the earth. Mostly mechanical-Knuckle rebuild, radiator, all soft coolant lines, ps rebuild, oil pump seal, brake system rebuild, deflared and welded, headlamps replaced...etc.
Haven't wheeled out here only old mining roads in the Rockies and the area around Moab.

Past rigs you built up or have sold if any: '95 4Runner- ARB Lockers F/R, OME suspension, ARB Bull bar, Downey exhaust from block out, rolling on BFG's.

Any special talents: Moving further away from the mountains!

Welcome from Racine, WI

Welcome @Tearlock. I am in Madison and have been going out roughly once a month with the 4l4w.org group. They have access to private properties to wheel at. As expected the the trails are narrow and while Wranglers go through just fine my 100 series has been bashed a few times:
20190616_182035.jpg

@Drake2 I called the State Forest office at Black River Falls and was told that all the 'unimproved' forest roads that have a no-ATV sign are open to use for trucks/jeeps. I went out last Feb with a friend and it was mostly fairly mild. Any interest in a ride in late August?