Wiring harness for aftermarket deck and blowing dome fuse. Here's how. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, since I've seen nothing clearly laying out what to do in the event of an after market head unit (hu) stereo I'm going to lay out what I found to work. I spent about 30 minutes searching and reading up on this and saw nothing very clear, just a mix of info leaving me with the should I this and not this questions.

I replaced the factory deck on my 1996 Landcruiser with a JVC KD-DV5100 ($200 online) and I just bought a toyota wire harness from Wal-Mart for $6 and change. When I pulled the factory deck there was one 15 pin plug connected to it, this one was white and the harness wouldn't plug into it. There was one next to it that was a 10 pin grey plug and when I plugged into that I blew the dome fuse. Here's what you need to do.

1) Pull all the blue power antenna wires out of the Wal-Mart harness, with these gone it will stop the dome fuse from blowing. They come right out if you give em a good tug.

2) There are three plugs behind your head unit, the white one and two grey ones, one you can clearly see and another hidden up a little higher. Forget about the one that was plugged into your deck and use the 10 pin and the 4 pin of the Wal-Mart harness to plug into the two grey Toyota plugs.

That's about it, I wired it up, plugged it in and all works well. I left the factory harness just sitting back there and didn't unplug the factory amp. The door speakers where my main worry and all work without flaw.

I just installed a Pioneer head unit and iPod interface a couple of weeks ago, and found the same harnesses behind the dash as you did. I also used the wal-mart adapter, but just taped the blue wire up. Since I plan on adding an external amp for a sub, I wanted to keep the blue wire as the remote turn on lead. HUGE improvement over the stock setup, I might add!

That's why I said to pull the blue wires out of the Wal-Mart harness. If you do that you can still run the amp off the decks remote output. The aftermarket deck is about as loud as the factory deck honestly and for most I would say door speaker upgrades should be about all you need to be happy.

Ahh excellent deck as I have the same one. ($210+tax) at Circuit City. Only thing that bugs me a little bit is that you can't fast forward through mp3 songs and when you turn the power off and back on it starts at the beginning of the song (not where it left off in the song) Other than that I've very happy with only have 8 DVDs of all my music or attach an LCD and play movies :)

Also, I had the same problem and came to the conclusion of disconnecting both blue wires from the walmart (Scosche harness adapter) What I didn't feel like finding out was which blue wire inparticular it was since in that harness adapter the blue why splits and connects to 2 pins. Would either of those pins turn on the stock amp for the sub in the rear, since mine hasn't worked, but sounds ok without it?

ie.. Is it an issue of having the remote turn-on power from the deck going to the stock harness, or is it an issue of that blue jumper wire going to 2 pins, which blows the dome and alarm fuse.

I got an Alpine unit in my truck, it will allow me to go to Sirus Satt service later, as well as playing DVD on the screen which is next on the buying schedule.

The greatest thing about the deck for me is actually the fact that it plays dual-layer DVD which allows me to burn my whole collection of music on 2 dvd's and bring it all with me....

THATS OVER 17 GIGS ON 2 DVD'S

PRETTY COOL EH!!!!!

http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn...9860&p_category=21&p_subcategory=70&p_main=30

sonoranfun said:
That's why I said to pull the blue wires out of the Wal-Mart harness.

Okay, I see the difference now - guess I was thinking backwards again... :doh:

I'm not sure if the JVC plays dual layer burned DVD's or not. Most all movies DVDs are dual layer so I would assume it does play them I can't justify buying them at $4 a DL-DVD when I can get regular DVD-R's for 28cents each.
BC/LX450: Does the alpine allow you to fast forward through songs?

yah you can ff through songs, I was wanting the JVC to start with, but the dealer where I bought my unit told me that the GIGAMP3 JVC did not play dl-dvd whether thats true or not I dont know.

The Alpine was about twice the price of the JVC, but he gave me a really good deal, and I didnt have to wait for the JVC to come in to stock.

My next upgrade to the system sound wise is to try to fab a box right in the centre console area, losing the changer, stock sub, and storage.

BCLX450

The answer to your question about the wiring harness was found some time ago by StressPuppy.
Cut&Paste from his post:

"I started by buying an Alpine 9827 HU. Great unit, even if it illuminates blue to the LCs green. I bought the Metra Universal Toyota wire harness from BestBuy. It was labeled well, as was the Alpine. I wired it up as noted, but when I hooked up the power, it would cut on and then off immediately. CD worked though. Found out that the Metra harness was wired wrong for the LC with auto antenna and manual buttons. It had the antenna on wire going to pin 9 with a loop back wire to pin 8. The antenna on wire MUST go to pin 8 and you must cut the loop-back wire, terminating it and the wire to pin 9. Auto antenna and buttons work!"

Ok.. I don't think I have an auto antenna.. just the buttons to raise and lower it. Or do I have an auto antenna, but the stock deck just never took advantage of this? I assume the auto ant. was only on 95+ LC's ?

Well, since I've seen nothing clearly laying out what to do in the event of an after market head unit (hu) stereo I'm going to lay out what I found to work. I spent about 30 minutes searching and reading up on this and saw nothing very clear, just a mix of info leaving me with the should I this and not this questions.

There was a reason behind this quote. I don't think somebody should have to look for over 30 minutes and read 25 threads to find that one answer not even address what harness the issue was on or where it was bought from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom