Wiring harness for 72 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When you say "I hope it works", does that mean you already bought it?
I meant to say I hope the link I sent works! This is all good info. Thanks again, I'm currently running through the wiring on the truck to get a better game plan. Who ever rewired this thing before I had it did a number on it. There's a main wire for the rear lights running exposed along frame and right next to the tail pipe! It's charing!

If you have your original 1972 harness you would be far ahead by simply repairing/refurbishing it. Unless it has been in a fire, it can easily be repaired.
FYI: If you can wire in lights on a dirt bike, you can repair your own harness.
I am currently booked solid for the next 18 months so cannot offer my services to you, but I sell everything you would need to repair your own harness. I have all the connectors, terminals and correct striped wire in all the correct gauges. I also sell non-adhesive harness tape to make it look like new once it has been repaired.

You start by removing the harness from the truck and laying it out on a 4x8 sheet of plywood that is on something high enough to be comfortable to work on.
Next you remove the outer tape from the harness. But do NOT remove the tape that holds the harness in shape. If you do have to cut that tape, use zip ties to hold the harness shape. An X-Acto razor with a new blade really helps to remove the old tape. Just slice through the tape and peel it off. Recommend you wear gloves as the tape will be a sticky mess.

Once you have the harness un-taped, make a list of everything that needs replaced or repaired. Common things are the oil pressure and water temp sensor wires are usually cracked and brittle. Connector housings may be broken, the fusible link may be bypassed or missing, that kind of thing. Once you have a shopping list go to my web site and order in what you need. (I also sell terminal crimp tools you will need to crimp on the new terminals. ) You will want to remove all the fuses from the fuse panel and throw them away. Now remove the fuse panel from the harness and soak it in vinegar for about 15 minutes, rinse really well, and dry it. Now use a Dremel tool with a wire wheel to remove all the oxidation from the fuse clips. It will look like a new one! Put it back on the harness and install all new fuses.

While waiting on parts you can clean the harness connectors. I personally use a soda blaster I bought form Harbor Freight to clean these, but a tooth brush and Simple Green will also work. If the harness wires are covered in goo from the tape, use Acetone to remove it. The acetone works wonders on cleaning the wire ends that are exposed to the elements. Note: The OEM wire stripes are actually molded into the insulation. The new wire that is available has the stripes "painted" on. Do NOT use Acetone on that wire as it will remove the stripe!

Now is the time to add any accessory wiring to the harness. It will look factory installed after taping!

Once everything has been repaired you can be use a battery to bench test the harness to make sure everything works. Last you re-tape it using non-adhesive harness tape and re-install it in the truck.

Mark aka Coolerman

Thank you Mark! I think you just gave me the confidence to do this without purchasing a new generic harness, (at least I hope so). I know the original harness is in good condition, it just need some replacement connections, which I need to locate. Something is pulling a very slow drain on the battery. This is what I'm looking for. Again, I appreciate your time and assistance, and I will for sure take a look at your website for any parts that I may need.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom