Winter projects on your rig? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Winter Project

Replace tired 76 2f with V8, painless wiring. replace rusty floor pans, repair various body parts from past 12 years of"fun", install rear disc brakes, repair air leak in rear ARB, leaking shocks......May take more than just this winter.

Hi All:

"Franky," the cage design looks great! Be sure to post photos of the front section when finished.

"mlfynt," sounds like you've got a full list of upgrades and repairs! Which ones do you want to tackle first?

Good luck!

Alan

Hi All:

Thanks Todd. Say, is that the rig that you "stole" from Mikesta? :D

Regards,

Alan

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know who to laugh at... myself, todd or you. but I'm laughing. I am really bummed I couldn't snag that one up. $200. Got 20 miles from pickup and my carb died.

Here is my project for the winter.

1972 40-

Moss Toss

I've since named my rig Chia. On a serious note... I will be turning this rig into serious wheeler. Next step is to go through the fuel system.
then.jpg
the0.jpg
the.jpg

I'm doing a frame-off rebuild of a '66 I bought in early January (2008).

Start:
66fj40001.jpg

Details link in my signature below. Should be done by Spring (year undetermined)...

I don't know who to laugh at... myself, todd or you. but I'm laughing. I am really bummed I couldn't snag that one up. $200. Got 20 miles from pickup and my carb died.

Chia will be a better project anyway, Mike. The pile of parts was really not a good starting point. I don't even know how you would have gotten that mess loaded and back to your place.
:beer:

Alan, Rig is in the garage, engine ready to be pulled. First thing I want to do is remove everything out of the way, then start on the rust. My other half say's "just do what ever you want", so I think I'm going to act fast.

I'm doing a frame-off rebuild of a '66 I bought in early January (2008)......Start:.......Details link in my signature below. Should be done by Spring (year undetermined)...

I clicked on your link Bill.
Nice work!
Access to that professional sand blaster must save you a lot of time!

:cheers:

Thanks Tom. Too bad the opening on the cabinet is only about 2.5' x 2.5'. I wish we had a bigger one here. I'll be sending my frame off to a local shop for sandblasting and maybe the tub too. I'll need to find out what kind of media they have before I take them the tub though.
So far, so good. Thanks for the props.

Hi All:

"Full M3tal," looking good! :beer:

Regards,

Alan

I just got done swapping my front and rear springs to extend my wheelbase. I also opened up the spring wraps for better flex. Up next is altering my quarter panels to fit the new location of my rear wheels. Also, I am using the wonderful Seattle weather as an opportunity to tear my front end apart and rotate the knuckles. I am tired of the truck wandering and tracking all over the road because of the soa and improper castor angle. I just got done grinding the housing clean to use a pipe cutter for the cut tonight. Also gives me a great opportunity to relocate my shock mounts to accomidate the new location of the axle.

When that all gets done, I am going to go through my winch, add fill and drain plugs and rebuild the brake.

New Engine:
Engine.jpg
Engine1.jpg
Engine3.jpg

Hi All:

"Fussy Cruiser," is that a GM Vortec V-8 you are swapping in? Whats tranny you gonna use?

Regards,

Alan

Done so far
-New Aisin Carburator
-front heater and blower refurb -w- new resistor
-Switch from electric back to mechanical fuel pump and all new lines
-New tierod, relay rod and rod ends.
-PO induced re-wire along with new alternator and new voltage regulator
-corrosion reduction and re-paint of underside
-new headers and exaust
-new oil pan
-refurb valve cover

In Progress
-Blasted, painted and put a pair of Shane's seat covers on the fronts and backs. DONE
-blasted and painted bumper, grill, splash guards, air cleaner. DONE
-replacing rusty nuts and bolts
-new headlights, taillights and front turn signals. DONE

Still needs to be done
-Re-build steering knuckles
-new gauge cluster, install new sending units

Running out of winter :D

Last edited:
Hi All:

"Fussy Cruiser," is that a GM Vortec V-8 you are swapping in? Whats tranny you gonna use?

Regards,

Alan

It is a 305 TPI from an '85 Camaro. I already have an SM465 installed.

Since this is my DD, I am hoping for some improved drivablility (cold starts, ect...) and an increased fuel efficiency, gas tank is 17 gals and I am getting approx 9-10 MPG with the Q-Jet.

Hoping for 14-15MPG for 1.5x the cruising range.

:beer: here's to hoping. ;)

I guess I'll chime in! For the last 8 months I really haven't done much to my cruiser. For some reason, I had a sudden burst of energy to start working on it again, plus I got a really good tax return which is funding some new projects.

A couple weeks ago I bought a new engine from one of the cruiserheads up here in Seattle. Amazingly, I was able to shoehorn it in the back of my FJ Cruiser (it was a delicate process)

IMAGE_089.jpg

Last summer I took the heater out and bought cheap caps to plug the holes. They ended up popping and I overheated the motor pretty good, now it burns coolant like a mofo. So I'm performing my first transplant. I'm also dropping in a SM465.

Here is another one:
IMAGE_092.jpg

I also refinished my hard top so I could put it back on the cruiser to make room for all the new crap I'm buying. But I don't have pics of that yet.

My fj 45 arrived from Show Low Arizona on Jan 4th. Since then I've welded in new floors with steel from a pig tailgate access panel and the back of an electrical panel, removed the bed, cleaned and painted the frame, replaced the spring bushings, done complete brake job with all new wheel cyls and master, replaced fenders with new aftermarkets, replaced the aprons with the ones from my '76 donor (having filled the 1/8 emblem holes so I could use the old emblems),desmogged the donor engine in the '76, and repaired the broken winch housing. Finest moment? maybe finding no serial # on the 2f in the donor, as the po said they put a new engine in 17,000 miles ago.Search says 'new factory block'. Or maybe it was trailering home to the island, or......
on the trailking.jpg
45 floors done.jpg
45 bed set on.jpg

Island45:

How did you find that old rascal in Show Low, AZ? Just curious, being a mining state, I'll bet there's a bunch of those old 45's gracefully aging out in the sun. I wish like heck I'd looked for one when I lived there!

Bored one night and pining for my '67 fj45 lpb that I sold after my divorce so I could buy out her half of the place. That's before and after photo of it. Went to the classifieds on Specter's website and voila! no engine, sitting for 24 years behind a house. He had just put it on ebay, but it didnt meet his reserve. I caught up with him afterwards and made him an offer, and I had just finished a huge 2 year cabinet/furniture project here and was feeling kinda flush, and without any pesky wife buggin' me, wtf? Hired Kiwis Karriers took them six hours to load, with shoveling snow, moving a fence, and I met them on the mainland...They were Awesome! The whole story with photos ,(posted by spotcruiser), is on the 45 page from Jan 5 or so, called 'late thursday or early friday'. .... since you asked:hillbilly:
45  '67 double photo.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom