Winter driving on mud tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I’ve got an ‘01 LX here in sunny FL that I run on mud tires — specifically, 285/75/16 Maxis Razr MTs. I have a trip planned in two weeks to DC for a family wedding. I’m concerned I may find myself driving along snowy roads, which I understand is NOT ideal on mud tires.

I can’t spend $400-500 on a set of snow tires for a few days of driving, as I’m extremely unlikely to ever use them again.

So I am planning on running tires chains if the going gets snowy, but I don’t know how snowy it needs to be before fitting them.

I’m also wondering what tire pressures I should run.

Can anyone provide any advice for my situation so I can avoid an accident? I’ll have my family along for the ride, so I’m trying to be extra cautious and over-prepare. Thanks!

Don't sweat it, you will be fine. It's far from being like driving on a proper winter tire, but it also is far from being like a summer tire. I have driven with Maxxis 764 for 2 winters in a snowy country. Ice and packed snow sucks. New snow is not an issue. The TC + ABS handle snow + mud tires surprisingly well, no miracles of course. It's heavy, so mind your breaking.
On the 100 you can safely put chains only on the rear tires and that is what is suggested in the owners manual.

You're overthinking it. While they may not be optimal you'll be fine. As a kid growing up my dad always had mud tires on his work trucks. I've ran mud tires myself for years and never had an issue in the winter. We get as much or more snow here in the mountains of WV as you're likely to see traveling to DC from FL.

To further answer you're questions, I've never aired down for highway driving in the snow. Just mind your speed and give yourself plenty of room to slow down.

👍

Last edited:
Just drive via the Clarksonian principle: more power and carry your hammer set to fix any/all problems.

You won't see that much snow in the DC area, and if you do, the roads are so salty you will basically be driving in three inches slushy salty muck at worst. You'll be fine

Youll be fine. If you get caught in stuff just take it slow and easy. Tire chains would most likely be illegal in those areas anyway. Even in the muckiest snow the freeways are likely to end up just a slushy mess, which yes....sucks with MTs but they are still probably better than a lot of the neglected cars out there nearly running thier all seasons into racing slicks.

Drive conservative, leave more room to brake and if it gets really sketchy drop your tire pressure a few psi.
Summer time I run 40 psi, winter 30-35.

To give you a perspective on the limits of our cruisers, at approximately 7% grade and up off road conditions, you have two options (and I learned this recently up on latest adventure) you either punch it -giving you momentum; or install chains at least on the rear tires. With the weight of around 5,000 Lbs of our cruisers, it didn’t help my AT tires on 18psi grab traction. Center diff lock on, ATRAC working, low gear, I was at a stand still and was sliding back. Scary and exhilarating lol. But if I had chains at least on the rear tires, I would’ve reached the summit in a couple few more miles up this road.
E3CB8E6D-C643-4918-8ED3-5C3A1BAFDA3B.jpeg

Downhill driving conditions, just take it slow, shift down to a lower gear and switch on your CDL, it helps traction and steering.

as a resident of Maryland I can promise you that if there is any snow in the MD/DC region they will dump about 1 ton of salt per square foot on the roads, on a serious note just drive carefully drop your tire pressure a few psi and you will be just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom