Windshield Install on 100 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The reason we do not like metal screws holding molding in. The metal screws, break thought factory paint in/at side of holes, and cause rust in "A" pillar.

Toyota does have various size aluminum plastic coated rivets. Just visit the parts counter and ask what they can find. I've found 90269-04053 stock 100 series, also an over-sized 90269-05034. They may have others. Also many installer, have many various sizes they carry.

If I see any issue with molding, I remove it. I plug open holes with butyl, even leaks in the black poly (temp repair). Parts stores carry 3M windshield sealant tape. Which if you look closely on package, is butyl.

During final repair, which usually means glass replacement. I first correct paint issues, which may include de-rusting and painting. If it's just a case of paint cut away from any of the 8 rivet holes and/or holes slightly enlarged. I paint holes with POR-15. I coat hole up to 5 or 6 times, checking size after each coat with a rivet. Any extra (not factor) holes drilled in "A" pillar, I plug with windshield butyl, before installing molding.

I make sure no black poly is between "A" pillar and glass. This is a rian/water channel, where water drains on and under molding. So we do not want any blockage under molding.

The butyl can be used as temp or long term leak plug. Under the molding out of the sun, will last a life time. I've had butyl in open holes, without side molding, For over 2 years and counting.

To check for leaks I turn AC to max, outside air and place blower in window. I use soapy water or windshield glass clean, applying all around glass. Then watch for air bubbles in the suds.

060.JPG

This hole are not only rusty and enlarged. But the installer must have pounded in screws, bending the metal of "a" pillar at holes. What a mess, I be dealing with as need. But for now so it can be outside, washed and tested for leaks. I fill holes with butyl.
IMG_6573.JPEG

Blower with hose into window and sealed with sun shade. Which was best I could do fast and easily without tape, with stuff lying around. Not a 100 % seal, but good enough for this test with cabin fresh air open and HVAC blower on max.
Leak detection (1).JPEG

Leak was found between glass and black poly at upper LH comer. Plugged with butyl temporarily. Than tested again for air bubbles after temp repair. No bubbles after repair, so no leaks.
Leak detection (3).JPEG

Here you can see all "A" pillars molding holes plugged with butyl. I've had it this way and keep outdoors for over 2 years. Butyl is still pliable.
063.JPG

Why is everyone so upset with people using screws? Obviously leaving open holes is insane but if the screw fits securely into the previous rivet and paint is used to avoid rust then who cares if it's a rivet or a screw?

Why not get the vehicle repaired the way it’s supposed to be.

The Toyota rivets are covered with a plastic sleeve of sorts, no metal to metal contact….

I know it’s not a common practice now but some of the pictures we have seen with glass shops butchering the pillars just makes me cringe.

I ordered all my windshield trim new from PartsOUQ and extra rivets and replaced the trim myself. Due to whoever installed the pass side piece really bent it up bad and tried to use the windshield urethane to “glue” it down.

Good luck to OP, get it done right, it won’t leak and it’ll be quiet as designed on the highway.

FTFY.

Screws drilled into the A pillar are a show-stopping no-no. Yet, very common on these. Presumably because a significant number of glass shops just don't give a sh..... I'll stop.

Sorry to say, that's going to be one hell of a repair bill too unless you can DIY body work.
Was it you that had yours done at Extreme Autoworks in Lakewood? I’m considering them for mine after the recommendation. Definitely have a bit of a rust issue under the mouldings and they’re screwed in to boot. I talked with them and they remembered the last 100 windshield they did right away.

Was it you that had yours done at Extreme Autoworks in Lakewood? I’m considering them for mine after the recommendation. Definitely have a bit of a rust issue under the mouldings and they’re screwed in to boot. I talked with them and they remembered the last 100 windshield they did right away.
Yes it was. I think they did well, or at least put forth an honest effort. My rivets weren't seated tight and the trim isn't quite located correctly, but they didn't overuse urethane and the job seemed to be done right-ish.

If you use them, let them know the rivets need to be nice and tight, lol.

I'd also get glass coverage on your insurance if it's not already on. That would have been a very expensive repair without insurance.

Yes it was. I think they did well, or at least put forth an honest effort. My rivets weren't seated tight and the trim isn't quite located correctly, but they didn't overuse urethane and the job seemed to be done right-ish.

If you use them, let them know the rivets need to be nice and tight, lol.

I'd also get glass coverage on your insurance if it's not already on. That would have been a very expensive repair without insurance.
Did your insurance cover the body work they had to do? Was that just factored into the glass replacement?

Did your insurance cover the body work they had to do? Was that just factored into the glass replacement?
Initially all state refuse to cover the trim and all body work. After many phone calls and hours persuading them, they covered all the trim and parts and half the body work labor. I think I was out of pocket just over a thousand for the job but the total bill was around 4.

Initially all state refuse to cover the trim and all body work. After many phone calls and hours persuading them, they covered all the trim and parts and half the body work labor. I think I was out of pocket just over a thousand for the job but the total bill was around 4.
That’s a great deal really, I think I’ll be in for around the same. Any advice on the verbiage you used to persuade them? lol

That’s a great deal really, I think I’ll be in for around the same. Any advice on the verbiage you used to persuade them? lol
I'm not sure there was any one point that did it, but the owner of the shop took a pretty hard safety stance. The windshield is a critical safety component and you can't adhere a windshield properly to corroded metal. You also can't reuse those trim pieces without them compromising the seal and leading to future water damage.

I'm not sure if it was the shop owner or me but between the two of us on separate calls and on some conference calls we got it done. My biggest contribution was just not giving in. The insurance manager or supervisor or whoever he was told me time and time again that there's no way they're going to cover that and that they've never done that and that it doesn't make any sense and it's totally unnecessary and the shop owners just trying to pad his repair bill, etc, etc... My response was just reiterating the same points. It's a safety component and it needs to be installed properly. That's it. None of the job is outside the scope of the windshield and it needs to be done properly.

The willingness of the shop to work with insurance to ensure that it was all done properly was probably the biggest reason that I went with extreme auto works. Very few shops were willing to entertain the idea of using rivets and almost none seemed to think that it was important to ensure it was done right in general and was willing to go to bat with insurance.

Lots of people had bad experiences with Safelite. I’ve a few JL windshields replaced with no problem and now the same can be said for the LX.

TL,DR: Safelite was great.

My tech knew what he was going despite taking 3 visits to get the job done. The first visit he realized the prior install used a black sealant on the moldings. He was concerned that if they bent upon removal he didn’t have a new set and I would have a potential water leak plus potentially not having the glass perfectly aligned (he said there’s about 15 min after setting the glass in when he can make micro adjustments to get the glass and trim lined up). He got new trim ordered, $400 for both pieces but covered by Insurance. 2nd visit was a rain out. 3rd visit went perfectly. He took time to salvage the trim and he also gave me an extra pack of rivets. $2,400 bill for OEM night vision glass and new trim. $0 deductible.

If anyone needs used windshield trim around Denver, let me know.
I do!!

I’m reading through this thread after just getting my truck back from windshield replacement at the shop my local dealer uses. On the positive side - they used rivets. On the less positive, they only did the top and bottom of the trim. How pushy should I be in this case? So far I’m certainly hearing more wind noise, but the tape is still on and I can’t quite make the judgement on source yet.

Edit: looking through some more pictures, the wind noise is loud because they didn’t reinstall the rubber gasket. Add one more reason to be concerned?

Last edited:
I’m reading through this thread after just getting my truck back from windshield replacement at the shop my local dealer uses. On the positive side - they used rivets. On the less positive, they only did the top and bottom of the trim. How pushy should I be in this case? So far I’m certainly hearing more wind noise, but the tape is still on and I can’t quite make the judgement on source yet.

Edit: looking through some more pictures, the wind noise is loud because they didn’t reinstall the rubber gasket. Add one more reason to be concerned?

"On the less positive, they only did the top and bottom of the trim."

If you're meaning: Only 2 of the 4 holes on each side modeling, have rivets securing to them to "A" pillar.. Be very pushy!

All hole must be filled/sealed. Or water will get in. Additionally, No glue (black ploy) should be on side modeling.

"On the less positive, they only did the top and bottom of the trim."

If you're meaning: Only 2 of the 4 holes on each side modeling, have rivets securing to them to "A" pillar.. Be very pushy!

All hole must be filled/sealed. Or water will get in. Additionally, No glue (black ploy) should be on side modeling.
The more I look at it, the worse it gets. Unfortunately this shop is an hour round trip, and I could probably do the job better myself based on what everyone has posted here. I will call and complain when they open, but don’t expect a great resolution if they did what they did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom