Windshield Install on 100 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been having a water leak, presumbly from the windshield, that has been causing a few electronic gremlins. Electrics go back to normal after it dries out.

I only get this when it rains.

I had the windshield replaced, but the electric problems continued, still only when it has rained.

So I took the trim off the windshield and discovered holes, and screws (loose screws at that). I spoke to the mechanic who said that no screws or rivets go into the pillar. But I believe otherwise? Could anyone point me in the direction of how to fix this, and am I right that rivets should be going into the pillar to hole the trim in place?

Thanks.

IMG_5431.jpg

IMG_5432.jpg

Should not have screws FYI

At about the 10 minute mark in this video he shows the rivets that are supposed to be used. No screws.

Story old as time. Search there is a lot of information. Im going through windshield replacement as we speak.

Alright thanks. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't go nuts or something. Amazing that enough water could get into those holes to cause such problems.

Alright thanks. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't go nuts or something. Amazing that enough water could get into those holes to cause such problems.
You might have rust under there that needs to be repaired before windshield is reinstalled.

You might [almost certainly] have rust under there that needs to be repaired before windshield is reinstalled.
FTFY.

Screws drilled into the A pillar are a show-stopping no-no. Yet, very common on these. Presumably because a significant number of glass shops just don't give a sh..... I'll stop.

Sorry to say, that's going to be one hell of a repair bill to unless you can DIY body work.

FTFY.

Screws drilled into the A pillar are a show-stopping no-no. Yet, very common on these. Presumably because a significant number of glass shops just don't give a sh..... I'll stop.

Sorry to say, that's going to be one hell of a repair bill to unless you can DIY body work.
What kind of repair are you looking at to the bodywork? I see the need to remove rust, but fortunately the holes are not rusted, and I could potentially fill with silkaflex (not ideal but I can't weld).

I just had a windshield replaced. I specifically asked if they had experience with the land cruiser windshield and asked that they order the rivets. Once I got it back I found they used mostly rivets and two screws. One of the rivets fell out and was just sitting under the trim. When I called they said the Lexus rivets were too big so they used some that fit. They couldn't explain the screws. Now they want to make the holes bigger so the Lexus rivets fit. Has anyone heard anything like this or are they just idiots and ordered the wrong part? I'm guessing I don't want these guys touching my car again.

I just had a windshield replaced. I specifically asked if they had experience with the land cruiser windshield and asked that they order the rivets. Once I got it back I found they used mostly rivets and two screws. One of the rivets fell out and was just sitting under the trim. When I called they said the Lexus rivets were too big so they used some that fit. They couldn't explain the screws. Now they want to make the holes bigger so the Lexus rivets fit. Has anyone heard anything like this or are they just idiots and ordered the wrong part? I'm guessing I don't want these guys touching my car again.
Make sure they put in bigger rivets, get the screws out of there.

Why is everyone so upset with people using screws? Obviously leaving open holes is insane but if the screw fits securely into the previous rivet and paint is used to avoid rust then who cares if it's a rivet or a screw?

Why is everyone so upset with people using screws? Obviously leaving open holes is insane but if the screw fits securely into the previous rivet and paint is used to avoid rust then who cares if it's a rivet or a screw?

It was never designed for screws and it causes leaks which drips down onto the ECU and can total your car.

It was never designed for screws and it causes leaks which drips down onto the ECU and can total your car.
Interesting..mines got screws ....I'm scared

Lots of people had bad experiences with Safelite. I’ve a few JL windshields replaced with no problem and now the same can be said for the LX.

TL,DR: Safelite was great.

My tech knew what he was going despite taking 3 visits to get the job done. The first visit he realized the prior install used a black sealant on the moldings. He was concerned that if they bent upon removal he didn’t have a new set and I would have a potential water leak plus potentially not having the glass perfectly aligned (he said there’s about 15 min after setting the glass in when he can make micro adjustments to get the glass and trim lined up). He got new trim ordered, $400 for both pieces but covered by Insurance. 2nd visit was a rain out. 3rd visit went perfectly. He took time to salvage the trim and he also gave me an extra pack of rivets. $2,400 bill for OEM night vision glass and new trim. $0 deductible.

If anyone needs used windshield trim around Denver, let me know.

Lots of people had bad experiences with Safelite. I’ve a few JL windshields replaced with no problem and now the same can be said for the LX.

TL,DR: Safelite was great.

My tech knew what he was going despite taking 3 visits to get the job done. The first visit he realized the prior install used a black sealant on the moldings. He was concerned that if they bent upon removal he didn’t have a new set and I would have a potential water leak plus potentially not having the glass perfectly aligned (he said there’s about 15 min after setting the glass in when he can make micro adjustments to get the glass and trim lined up). He got new trim ordered, $400 for both pieces but covered by Insurance. 2nd visit was a rain out. 3rd visit went perfectly. He took time to salvage the trim and he also gave me an extra pack of rivets. $2,400 bill for OEM night vision glass and new trim. $0 deductible.

If anyone needs used windshield trim around Denver, let me know.

I had a similar experience, the tech was great they let me in the shop to watch over. Cleaned up the entire area, used touch up paint, etc. But they refused to use rivets and convinced me it's fine to use screws. I couldn't help but just agree.

We replaced all of the trim pieces with OEM and they applied some sealant as well.

Is the cruiser windshield different than every other windshield that they use screws for? Should I stay up thinking about this all night or just move on?

Sleep well and move on. The rivets/screws hold the side trims, not the glass. I've seen a few 100s operating quite well minus the side trims entirely (with the rivet holes filled).

Screws are not the best solution, but AFAIK Toyota only make the one size plastic coated rivet. So once these rivets have been changed a few times, the holes are oversize, and you either need to use a screw, or a non-std rivet. If the oversized fasteners are wisely chosen and fitted well, along with consideration for corrosion protection and sealing against water ingress, they will work fine.

I only just pulled my side trims off last week. Original factory screen and original rivets. There is light corrosion forming around the rivet holes. So even a 100% OEM configuration is no guarantee of perfection. It's just an overly and unnecessarily complex setup. I don't know what's wrong with a simple gasketted screen like the 80s.......

One thing I will recommend is that you don't attempt to drill off/out the rivets. Better to dremel the heads off. When you try to drill the heads your bit will invariably stray off centre when it encounters the remains of the hard rivet mandrel and you'll likely oversize the hole in the trim (at best) or drill a new hole right beside the original hole in both trim and pillar.

Sleep well and move on. The rivets/screws hold the side trims, not the glass. I've seen a few 100s operating quite well minus the side trims entirely (with the rivet holes filled).

Screws are not the best solution, but AFAIK Toyota only make the one size plastic coated rivet. So once these rivets have been changed a few times, the holes are oversize, and you either need to use a screw, or a non-std rivet. If the oversized fasteners are wisely chosen and fitted well, along with consideration for corrosion protection and sealing against water ingress, they will work fine.

I only just pulled my side trims off last week. Original factory screen and original rivets. There is light corrosion forming around the rivet holes. So even a 100% OEM configuration is no guarantee of perfection. It's just an overly and unnecessarily complex setup. I don't know what's wrong with a simple gasketted screen like the 80s.......

One thing I will recommend is that you don't attempt to drill off/out the rivets. Better to dremel the heads off. When you try to drill the heads your bit will invariably stray off centre when it encounters the remains of the hard rivet mandrel and you'll likely oversize the hole in the trim (at best) or drill a new hole right beside the original hole in both trim and pillar.
Good to know I can stop caring about this.....for now. I've had screws in for 3 years now and I don't see any signs of water intrusion. These forums have a way of causing paranoia. I refuse to change my original heater tees just out of spite, they seem fine =]

If you find you still can't sleep......... loosen the screws, pull the trim back a few mm, and inject some windshield sealing mastic into the gap. Pull the trim back against the pillar to allow the mastic to settle in place, then retighten the screws (not too tight or the trim may dimple). The mastic will ooze for a few days. Let it form a skin, scrape off the excess, and clean up with some kerosene, diesel etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom