Windshield advice Atlanta area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for someone or company that knows how to do Land Cruisers. The guy ACC recommends is down and out right now. I've interviewed companies on the phone and they don't have a clue.

1. According to the manual, hood, etc. has to be removed. Is this accurate?

Most of the companies I've talked to are used to doing new cars and have no clue how to handle the land cruiser. Even Lexus really doesn't know.

Any help appreciated.

Frank, if you find out off thread please report back here as I would like to know also. If you strike out and get a windshield to do it yourself. I would be happy to help you do it following the FSM and instructions on the forum.

Met a great resource for glass work this past Friday.

Tim Born
(706) 233-8307

He owns the Glass Doctor franchises in Rome, Ga and Chattanooga, Tn.
He's a wealth of experience and a really nice guy. I brought my 96 80 to his shop first thing Friday morning to have the rear glass installed after I had it out. I arrived with the new gasket and original glass. He used 2 different, correct sealers for the metal to gasket and glass to gasket interfaces, was happy to explain it all while he worked and cleaned everything. Excellent work.

If you find someone to install it correctly (the hard part); then you can probably just remove the cowl under the windshield and skip removing the hood. You can drive without a cowl (well, you can drive without a hood too but...).

The local shop has done 3 for me and they all worked fine and didnt leak.

The trick is to find someone old school that knows them. Ask the guy about "roping it in" and if he looks at you funny just walk away. I would look for someone over 50. No joke.

If you want to drive 2 hours down to dublin then I can hook you up.

I've done some early 80s model windshields using the string method. but they were all German cars. Probably the same as "roping it in".

Pretty much is roping it in, based on the FSM, with adhesive in various places. I'm not in a hurry and will keep looking, but will certainly take you up on that when it warms up a bit. Thanks so much for the offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom