Windows not rolling up - RTH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thekitchensink

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys,
I've been having an issue with my drivers side window not rolling up, but it was very intermittent and was always solved by banging on the door panel as I pull up on the switch. All other windows work fine from the DS master control switch. I took the master switch out to see if anything was broken inside, nothing was, so I cleaned the contacts and plugged it back in. It immediately blew a fuse (30A "FL power"). I replaced the fuse and the door locks work but no windows. None of the other window switches work either. Is there another fuse box I'm missing? I looked at all the fuses under the dash, and under the hood and nothing else is blown. No wires are broken or stripped. Thoughts? It's supposed to start raining tomorrow and my DS window is down. :frown:

These just go out over time. I have an intermittent driver window that is particularly bad in cold weather (don't roll down the window at the drive through, open the door!). New window runs and window motor sitting in the garage waiting for my lazy ass.

Go back and try to roll it up every once in a while, you might luck out. Then keep it up until you have the parts on hand to fix it.

Ok. The weird thing is it had been working fine until just a day or two ago. Don't think it would be the window motor (I also replaced the motor last year). Is there a way to get the window up while I wait for the new parts to come in? Would a bad master control switch disable all of the windows? Because that's what I'm experiencing currently. Right now none of the windows work, and the DS window was the only one that was intermittent before it stopped.

Yes, a bad master will disable ALL the windows.

I bought a new master at SwitchDoctor.com Roughly $45. Don't throw away our old one.....

Otherwise, take out your master switch unit, disassemble and clean. File all the contact points clean, make sure all the little "rockers" are bent to the correct shape, and reassemble with all the springs in the right place (window lock is a PITA...)

You probably have something crossing over internally and that's why it blew a fuse.

I did that... when I put it back in is when I couldn’t control any of the windows.

The master from SwitchDoctor works well? I’ve read some reviews on it that they didn’t work with everything.

I did that... when I put it back in is when I couldn’t control any of the windows.

The master from SwitchDoctor works well? I’ve read some reviews on it that they didn’t work with everything.
Mine has been installed for 5 years and no problems.

Hey I need some help as my windows are no longer working.
I just installed a set of lockers and got the main and sill harness from the donor vehicle and installed them into my 80.
Everything worked before disassembling and now they longer work. I checked the fuses they look good and I tried swapping back to the original harness and still no go. It also has an ABS light on now which wasn’t on before but I’m not too worried about the ABS at the moment I’d like to get my windows rolled up.
Is there a way to apply power to the windows that are down to roll them up?
Donor vehicle was a 97 LX and mine is a 95 FZJ

Hey I need some help as my windows are no longer working.
I just installed a set of lockers and got the main and sill harness from the donor vehicle and installed them into my 80.
Everything worked before disassembling and now they longer work. I checked the fuses they look good and I tried swapping back to the original harness and still no go. It also has an ABS light on now which wasn’t on before but I’m not too worried about the ABS at the moment I’d like to get my windows rolled up.
Donor vehicle was a 97 LX and mine is a 95 FZJ
The only thing that changed was the harness. Maybe the harness has a short or broken wire? These harnesses are 23 years old. They get crunchy over time and when they get manhandled, stuff breaks.

None of the windows will work if the master doesn't work.

Check fuses first with a multimeter, then check all connections unplug and replug to try.

My left rear window quit going up due to the switch.. It goes down fine. I pulled the door panel, unplugged the motor, used two short pieces of wire and jumper cables to the batt and ran it back up. I left the motor unplugged so my kids would run it back down until I can get a new switch (or fix the existing one)..

My left rear window quit going up due to the switch.. It goes down fine. I pulled the door panel, unplugged the motor, used two short pieces of wire and jumper cables to the batt and ran it back up. I left the motor unplugged so my kids would run it back down until I can get a new switch (or fix the existing one)..

Thanks that’s what I ended up doing worked great.

I think I may have a bad master switch. I opened it up quickly before I had to leave for work and the contacts looked burnt. Also when I move the buttons for the other windows I can hear/feel them clicking either way but I don’t feel the click on the drivers button. Can anyone tell me if it is supposed to click like the others? I assume it is

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom