Window Tinting (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I called a guy I've used to tint my cars in past to get a quote for my FZJ80. He's one of the better rated tint guys where I live from what I can tell and I've been happy.

I was surprised he told me he doesn't tint cars that are 25 years old. I was caught off guard and don't recall all of the reasons he gave. Something about brittle rubber (windows seals) and plastic. He also mentioned there's a higher chance of the glass being in bad shape and getting a bad result. A quick search tells me some installers remove door panels and possibly even rubber seals on the outside to apply heat. He doesn't want to people coming back to redo the work and doesn't want to the liable for breaking old plastic.

So, I setup an appointment with another tint company for later this week. I just got inside after cleaning the interior (including the windows) for the first time. There's no doubt it's going to take a lot more prep to do my FZJ80. I didn't inspect the rubber seal on the windshield but I do know it is OEM glass so that might be original too.

I'm going to call the company to see if they baked a lot of extra labor/prep into my price. Their prices were higher than expected even for Llumar ceramic on all windows.

Anyone else have experience with this?

I haven’t ran into that issue at all. I’ve had old cars tinted on several occasions including my cruiser without any of that thrash.
Tint prices have gone up exponentially and I’m not sure if it’s all bull**** they’re selling but I usually go with the simplest tint offering possible.
For reference i for my cruiser tinted about 3 months ago and called several places and not a single one mentioned concern about the age of my truck; they were all more than willing to tint it.

Hmm. I am going in to our glass shop tomorrow morning to have a couple of bullseyes filled. They also tint glass and was going a get a quote on our 95. I'll let you know what they say. I wonder if you removed the door panels would that change anything?

I haven’t ran into that issue at all. I’ve had old cars tinted on several occasions including my cruiser without any of that thrash.
Tint prices have gone up exponentially and I’m not sure if it’s all bulls*** they’re selling but I usually go with the simplest tint offering possible.

Yeah, I might be creating the problem by asking for Llumar and then they are on the hook for the warranty. I used that brand once on a truck and been doing the same since. Doesn't mean the other stuff isn't good too. I will say that ceramic really does help with the heat but that's all I really care about. AFAIK, you can't legally tint windshields in Florida but the ceramic stuff they put on had a very slight tint and worked better than the dark regular tint I would buy when I was younger.

Hmm. I am going in to our glass shop tomorrow morning to have a couple of bullseyes filled. They also tint glass and was going a get a quote on our 95. I'll let you know what they say. I wonder if you removed the door panels would that change anything?

Good idea. Honestly, if I have plastic fasteners going to break with the slightest movement, I'd just replace it. Same for window seals that are bad.

I might also just have them do the front door windows and see how it goes since it's a new tint place for me.

Thanks guys.

Good to know about the ceramic. I was quoted $500 for my cruiser not including the windshield for the ceramic. I garage my truck and only drive it on weekends so it was less of a need for me.

I paid 400 for mine in NE Florida, I was going to tint the windshield but it started to bubble when they out the heat gun on it to fit the tint. They did a really good job but said they they would def charge more in the future. The boss said the ceramic is most important on the windshield,, not necessary everywhere else.

I paid 400 for mine in NE Florida, I was going to tint the windshield but it started to bubble when they out the heat gun on it to fit the tint. They did a really good job but said they they would def charge more in the future. The boss said the ceramic is most important on the windshield,, not necessary everywhere else.

Where did you go to get it done? I am in the same part of the state. Thanks

1st coast window tinting.
20210731_090447.jpg

Gave my windshield a minimal % tinting and couldn't be happier; don't need to wear sunglasses on the Fla. roads anymore. Great for the dash.

I will say that ceramic really does help with the heat but that's all I really care about. AFAIK, you can't legally tint windshields in Florida but the ceramic stuff they put on had a very slight tint and worked better than the dark regular tint I would buy when I was younger.
I love my ceramic windshield which .... first ceramic was 70% tint, could hardly tell it was there. Second round of ceramic is 50% then the limo sun strip on top of the windshield. It is perfect and doesnt hinder my night vision. Police dont seem to care either....
Good to know about the ceramic.
Ceramic is amazing, I use to not be able to put my hand on the dash when in direct sunlight, the ceramic cuts down on approx 90% of the IR rays and 90% + of the UV rays.

My side windows still have the carbon tint from when I first had it done, when I get the extra funds ill def swap the side windows all over to ceramic as well. It really does make a HUGE difference in the amount of IR rays that come inside and heat things up.

FWIW - My side windows and rear glass are 20% carbon tint and the windshield is 50% Ceramic tint with a 5% (limo) sun strip.

I love my ceramic windshield which .... first ceramic was 70% tint, could hardly tell it was there. Second round of ceramic is 50% then the limo sun strip on top of the windshield. It is perfect and doesnt hinder my night vision. Police dont seem to care either....

Ceramic is amazing, I use to not be able to put my hand on the dash when in direct sunlight, the ceramic cuts down on approx 90% of the IR rays and 90% + of the UV rays.

My side windows still have the carbon tint from when I first had it done, when I get the extra funds ill def swap the side windows all over to ceramic as well. It really does make a HUGE difference in the amount of IR rays that come inside and heat things up.

FWIW - My side windows and rear glass are 20% carbon tint and the windshield is 50% Ceramic tint with a 5% (limo) sun strip.
For sure. Our cars and trucks are ceramic as well as we tinted all or our house windows with it. Really cuts down the heat.

Hey guys, curious if you can tint over the existing tint on the sides and back. Guessing since it's less of a film but more of a finish it's possible but curious if that's what you've done. I don't mind the bronze color, I think it goes with my LX450 color scheme but I can't keep burning myself on these seats.

I had mine done a few weeks ago, 35% all the way around. 80% on the front windshield, all ceramic (did not have the sunroof tinted). He had to clean up the glass a lot because of over spray from the monstaliner and he said he had to shrink the rear tint for the rear hatch. It was not cheap but it looks amazing. We were worried with the factory bronze tinted glass the back windows had would throw off the look but it turned out great. Usually if you go too dark there will be a mirrored look with the bronze glass from the 90s.

I also had my new F250 done, 50% over the factory tint on the back, 20% on the front doors, 80% on the windshield and 35% on the full length sun roof. For both it was $1,500. Steep but it's been well worth it. And that was a deal considering the work he put in on the land cruiser. Razor bladed and sanded all the windows and still kept the rear defrost. I've used the same tint guy for 20 years so if you think the price is high it really wasn't considering the work he put in.

tint 1.jpg

tint 2.jpg

Thanks for the info. When I realized my fingers got sunburned from holding the steering wheel on a recent trip I knew I needed to do something.

I had mine done a few weeks ago, 35% all the way around. 80% on the front windshield, all ceramic (did not have the sunroof tinted). He had to clean up the glass a lot because of over spray from the monstaliner and he said he had to shrink the rear tint for the rear hatch. It was not cheap but it looks amazing. We were worried with the factory bronze tinted glass the back windows had would throw off the look but it turned out great. Usually if you go too dark there will be a mirrored look with the bronze glass from the 90s.

I also had my new F250 done, 50% over the factory tint on the back, 20% on the front doors, 80% on the windshield and 35% on the full length sun roof. For both it was $1,500. Steep but it's been well worth it. And that was a deal considering the work he put in on the land cruiser. Razor bladed and sanded all the windows and still kept the rear defrost. I've used the same tint guy for 20 years so if you think the price is high it really wasn't considering the work he put in.

View attachment 3034395

View attachment 3034396
That looks good. Which tint product did you use?

That looks good. Which tint product did you use?

I think he uses LLumar tint. There's 3 levels of ceramic that he keeps on hand, the highest level/best he only keeps in 35% tint (legal limit in my state). I use the mid grade which blocks 90-whatever % of UV rays. I usually tint darker than 35% so that's why I've always had him do the mid grade ceramic. I went 35% on the land cruiser so I could see on the trails at dusk when backing up. And that may still be too dark but I'll risk it. It's made it much more tolerable to drive in the summer. (my wife tells me I'm a diva since I keep my AC seats on full blast all summer long in my truck)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom