1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wind noise at highway speed?

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by Perx, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Perx

Perx

Hey folks,

About a year ago I cracked my windshield loading it with some long cargo. I had a windshield repair guy come out and replace it. Ever since then, I get wind noise (most notable at highway speeds).

I should have had the guy come back out and fix it, but I didn't. So, no biggie, either I'll fix it or I'll have it fixed. But I don't know if I need to go to a winshield repair shop, or the dealer, or if this is something I could fix myself.

Anyone know what parts are involved in a windshild (ie sealant, weatherstripping, molding), or where the best place to start is?

Thanks in advance.

2. macneill

macneill Rollin’ on 33s

I'd let the pros do it.

It's usually covered by insurance.

3. sejinro

sejinro

Yes, let the pros do it. I just go with SafeLite which is a "come to you" service windshield replacement or repair. The warranty is competitive and the price is reasonable.

4. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

I had a leak one time. The guy just took off the exterior trimming and resealed it. I would try the first company and give them a chance to correct the problem... even if it is over a year later. Should be guaranteed for a liftime--IMO.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
  5. rule303

rule303

I have the same problem with mine. It has an aftermarket windshield from a previous owner. One guy said he might be able to fix it, or worst case its only $238 for a new one installed in my driveway.

6. Josh83

Josh83

Most glass places use thinner than OEM glass, especially if you go with the "low bidder". That translates to more noise transmitted into the cabin.

7. Perx

Perx

Thanks for all the responses. I'll look into getting the company to come back out and fix it.

Regards.

8. ELLTEE

ELLTEE

Christo Slee once posted that the windshield replacement is a bugger on these rigs -- and most discount windshield replacement shops (or "at your premises" truck operators) don't see Land Cruisers very often, and they're not quite the same as a Camrey!

Check to see if they've done LCs before.

LT

9. xumFJ40

xumFJ40

90% of Dealerships will out source the work to a local pro.

I had the same problem, went to the dealer and asked who did their work...called the guy up and he came out to the parking lot at my office and re-sealed it for $75.

When the PO had the windshield put in they didn't let it set...and the trim on the passenger side had settled down about 1/8th of an inch.

I bet if you look at yours across the top, you will see that one side has more of a gap than the other.

Anyway, no more wind noise at highway speeds after the re-seal.

Good Luck.

10. mscott

mscott

Or, better yet, just park it in front of Wahoo's and never quit stuffing your face. Ah, to live in HB again...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2005