Winches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know what the superwinch talon series is like i was looking at purchasing new a 12500lb but talking to a friend of mine who races competitively has advised me to purchase a 2nd 8274 ...Your thoughts?

8274 rocks for pull strength and line speed, but they are not cheap. Some of these winches that pull big numbers do it by gear ratio and pull the line in very slow, so line speed is something you should factor in as well.

where do you gonna put it .? heavy vehicle . ?

8274 it's rated 8K pounds .. it can pull more but it's not rated for that .... you will found that it's been modified by other companys like Gigelpin

Winch ratings can be misleading too. A good winch like an 8274 will usually be underrated a bit (A Warn engineer I know insists that the 8274 can honestly be called a 10K winch). A cheap ass Chinese made winch will be lucky to pull its full "rating" on it's best day. My 10K Braden (commercial duty PTO) is proofed to 2.5 times its rating.

Personally I would chose an 8274 over a Superwinch Talon any day of the week.

Mark...

I've seen couple of 8274 and 8274-50 broken pulling a heavy ass Cruiser from mud down here.. where a big winch can make it ( slow yes .. but without problem )

where do you gonna put it .? heavy vehicle . ?

8274 it's rated 8K pounds .. it can pull more but it's not rated for that .... you will found that it's been modified by other companys like Gigelpin

its gonna go on my 40 series landcruiser front bumper weighing in at just over 2ton i just think it will be better purchasing brand new as opposed to 2nd hand my friend advised the 2nd hand 8274 but will it be as reliable as something brand new and i need this winch to last as prices in new zealand are quite steep and apprentice wages are really depressing

I bought a new 8274-50, 1400 bucks. If i were to do it again, i would buy a used one for cheap and rebuild it. Before, i needed one right away, but now, a project of rebuilding one would be fun, saving money and possibly upgrading.

Even though I have a Warn 9500XP, I would love to have an 8274.

Personal desires aside, select your winch based on what you need, what your wheeling style is, and how much you can afford. On the last subject, can you afford 2 or 3 "cheap" winches in rapid succession, or would it be more financially viable to save more and buy one good winch that will do everything you will need it for?

I also got some good advice from a friend before I bought a winch. He asked a simple question: Do you really need a winch, or do you just really want a winch?

Do you really wheel hard enough, and in difficult enough terrain to necessitate a winch? If you do, you stand a real chance of doing more damage to your vehicle than a winch can fix. And if you've already spent the money on a winch, it won't be available to fix other damage later on. A winch can help roll you back onto the rubber bits, pull you out of mud, and pull you over rocks, but it can't rebuild your axles, engine, or repair your body.

Just my two cents.

Even though I have a Warn 9500XP, I would love to have an 8274.

Personal desires aside, select your winch based on what you need, what your wheeling style is, and how much you can afford. On the last subject, can you afford 2 or 3 "cheap" winches in rapid succession, or would it be more financially viable to save more and buy one good winch that will do everything you will need it for?

I think this is good advice.

Also, we have a general rule of thumb for selecting a capacity. Take the gross vehicle weight rating, multiply it by 1.5, and you'll get the minimum recommended capacity.

- Andy

Hi All:

The Warn M8274 is hard to beat for a vehicle like a Land Cruiser 40 or 70 Series, Jeep CJ/YJ/TJ/JK, Land Rover D90, etc. Strong, simple, and fast line speed. Up here in the Pacific northwest of the USA 40 year old examples of the M8274 are still in regular use.

For heavier trucks like the Land Cruiser 45/55/60/75/80/100 Series, Land Rover D110 or D130, etc. a more powerful electric winch usually is needed.

All the major electric winch brands are having to confront the onslaught of low-cost import electric winches. Several have offered their own name-brand low-cost winches, either made in Asia, or built with imported parts.

To me to the super-cheap, no-name electric winches are a "leap of faith." ;)

At least the Warn VR and Superwinch Talon Series have a lifetime warranty from an established company.

My US $00.02

Alan

Does anyone know what the superwinch talon series is like i was looking at purchasing new a 12500lb but talking to a friend of mine who races competitively has advised me to purchase a 2nd 8274 ...Your thoughts?

everytime i saw a post about a warn 8274 i think again that i was just lucky,before i have my 76 fj-40, i was working on 2 more 40( not dd driver until much $ on it) went 2 hrs driving for look on another "project" but the owner take of a warn winch 8274 -1 generation with the metal connectors for the remote.. $100.00 later i just buy the winch, rebuilt it after reading much inf here on mud. Then i buy my 76 that have a 2 gen 8274-plastic connectors and blue rope, one night on CL saw an 8274-50 for $450.00 and i jump on it...have 3 winches at that moment, sold the 1 one for $600.00, the 2 one for $1,000.00 with the front bumper came on the 76 and my 8274-50 came ''free'' with some cash back.... my .02 cents keep looking if you can for a good deal if hurry its not on your side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom