Winch Suggestion - Control Box remote mount? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jamesurq

Reefmonkey
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
reefmonkey.com
The location I want to mount my winch is quite limited height wise. Most winches have the control box mounted on the top of them. Without that, I'd have much more room to work with. So what I'm asking is who sells a 8000+ synthetic rope winch with a control box that doesn't have to live on the top, or at least can be modded without a ton of extra effort to live on the side or somewhere else.

Thanks!

I've done this with a Superwinch... but I don't think it's a ton of effort with most of them. Generally you just need longer cables to connect the control box somewhere else, which can be stock battery cables from the local auto store. As long as the controls are somewhat separate from the winch already, should be an easy mod. Here's a pic of the control box, also a Blue Sea disconnect switch for it, in the engine bay of the GX470. hope that helps!

IMG_1988.jpg

ComeUP has a remote solenoid box that you can mount away from the winch.

They make a decent winch. Its a Taiwan company which generally have better production integrity standards than china. Good domestic service parts support as well.

Here's the slim version (9.5) with wireless remote. Their Seal series with synthetic rope is what I have; the few times I've used it worked perfectly.

Not sure how far away you're trying to mount the controller, but my M series warn had around 12-16" of leads. I mounted the controller to the top of my bumper after finding that the winch controller box was rubbing on an AC line.

My Badlands 9000. CONTRol box is behind the license plate.
IMG_2813.JPG

Warn Zeon controller can be moved anyplace you want, I have mine mounted in front of the air box.
Where did you purchase your winch from and were you happy with the customer service? Looking for a good vendor to order one from in the near future.

Cheers, James

My warn M series controller box had about 16" of play on what looks like 4ga wire. You can buy and extend these up into the engine bay for about $50 in wire.

If I was street parking I would have mounted the controller inside the engine bay just to keep someone from messing with it. There are tale of vandalism with a vehicle's own winch, but from what I've seen its just that - tales. Story is vandals can free spool out your winch line and connect it to an object (or back over the roofline to the rear bumper). Then they shove tinfoil or a gum wrapper into your controller plug until they connect the retrieval pin loop. Sure would be a mess, but it's urban myth so far.

I mounted mine using the stock hardware and controller leads to the top of my bumper. This allows for access to the winch without opening the hood, or sticking your hand in through the bumper to connect it up. I prefer to set up my pull before the controller is connected.

Where did you purchase your winch from and were you happy with the customer service? Looking for a good vendor to order one from in the near future.

Cheers, James
I watched my local Craigs List and I found a 12-s that a guy mounted on a 1 tn Ford. Removed it when he sold truck planning on reusing but ended up with a SUV. I got it for $800 cash, it looked like it just came out of the box after I cleaned it up. I cleaned and re-greased the gear box, bought 16' of cable for the remote controller box mount. It is only used 2-3 times a year but I know it going to work when I need it.
No customer service but I saved about 40%, worth it to me.

I have both Warn M-series & a Zeon.

They both can remote mount - The Zeon you just buy a ~$125 blank bridge that takes over the solenoid box & the price included wire, I forget but think it was something like 4’ - ay least the PN# for the one I saw.

Ultimately I didn’t need to relocate so I never have laid hands on the kit.

Just as a note: if you buy a Zeon and then another $125 for a bridge and more for the wire, you're getting pretty close to an M series with a warranty, best customer care, and a superior winch.

Just as a note: if you buy a Zeon and then another $125 for a bridge and more for the wire, you're getting pretty close to an M series with a warranty, best customer care, and a superior winch.
You know they’re both Warn, right?

:meh: — I think the warranty is the same, and I was fairly impressed with the sealing on the solenoid box.

They are both Warn, and while I got my Zeon 8-S mainly just because Tundras’ have traditional 4WD compared to my 3x locked 80, they get good reviews.

I don’t expect I’ll use it a whole lot, but I am thinking “someday” I’ll buy the wireless remote that comes standard on the Platinum ones (~$100) - but I also got my 8-S for cheap/was a booth demo at some 4WD convention ala’ SEMA.

A Zeon 8K w/ a compound run is more than plenty for me with the Tundra, and you can buy parts / gaskets to refresh like the M-series.

I think the Zeon is appears better waterproofed than my early-90’s era M12K on the front of the 80.

But my Tundra bumper also shields the winch quite well where the M12K is in a ARB bumper - pretty exposed to elements.

You know they’re both Warn, right?

:meh: — I think the warranty is the same, and I was fairly impressed with the sealing on the solenoid box.

They are both Warn, and while I got my Zeon 8-S mainly just because Tundras’ have traditional 4WD compared to my 3x locked 80, they get good reviews.

I don’t expect I’ll use it a whole lot, but I am thinking “someday” I’ll buy the wireless remote that comes standard on the Platinum ones (~$100) - but I also got my 8-S for cheap/was a booth demo at some 4WD convention ala’ SEMA.

A Zeon 8K w/ a compound run is more than plenty for me with the Tundra, and you can buy parts / gaskets to refresh like the M-series.

I think the Zeon is appears better waterproofed than my early-90’s era M12K on the front of the 80.

But my Tundra bumper also shields the winch quite well where the M12K is in a ARB bumper - pretty exposed to elements.

They have a warn label on them, but are not treated the same by Warn. Warn has different warranty and customer care depending on the product series.

They have a warn label on them, but are not treated the same by Warn. Warn has different warranty and customer care depending on the product series.

hard facts:

identical warranty & assembled in OR, just tradeoff between drivetrain strength & speed.

It looks like the Zeon chassis is more waterproof than an M series - something I like here in WA & I don’t cover my winches.

I compared the Premium to the M, I don’t have a Platinum Zeon.

I have both, as well as others on my quads & a ProVantage synth going on my boat for when the river gets too thin / unexpectedly have to drop off step.

VR series is the only one I wouldn’t buy new/rather get a used M12K from CL & rebuild once a decade (how I’ve done it).

If I drag a downed tree, I rather the M series - If I just rather forget it until I need it, the Zeon is my pick.

Both have their place - personally any great deal (new/demo/or used) - on a Zeon, Zeon Platinum, or M-series all seem worth it.

:meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom