Winch mount-in progress (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What do you think it weighs with the winch and cable?

Nice job, tucked up nicely!:cheers:

When designing any winch mount the rule is to have it mount centered between the frame rails, close and low as possible. The further it sticks out and/or above the rails, the higher the leverage stresses on the frame. The trick to making receiver style work is having little or if possible no gap between the receiver tang and the mount plate, also having additional contact points on the edges of the plate helps greatly to prevent bending on side pulls.

Finally finished it.

So I finally got around to wiring it up and spooling on the rope.
Now I have to figure out why I bought a winch in the first place...
DSC02512.jpg
DSC02513.jpg
DSC02514.jpg

Pretty green color on the winch line...matches my nails...:D

Looks great...it's always good to have another winch on the tail.

Pretty green color on the winch line...matches my nails...:D

Looks great...it's always good to have another winch on the tail.

Green is my favorite color, and when I found out I could get rope in green...:cool:

Please PM me if you decided to scrap your winch project :)

I believe I'll be holding on to the winch, even though I haven't needed one.
Actually I did have one hooked up to my ass once when I tried to put the truck end-over.

Sounds like you're wheeling about as much as me. I've been 2wd for a month and a half- front DS toast and no motivation to get it fixed. In fact, I haven't wheeled since I got my winch, right after the 'Great White Elephant Rescue' of '08.

Looks good.

-Spike

should n't you move the line guiding plate down so the line would not be touching it (hopefully) when pulling?

That was my first thought as well. I checked with several people that made similar setups and i checked a few winch bumpers. All of them had the fairlead pretty much center. Since I'm a winch rookie, I thought I should stick with the norm.

Sounds like you're wheeling about as much as me. I've been 2wd for a month and a half- front DS toast and no motivation to get it fixed. In fact, I haven't wheeled since I got my winch, right after the 'Great White Elephant Rescue' of '08.

Looks good.

-Spike

Yup, I've only locked the center once in the last 3 months and I didn't go looking for it the last time I did.
I took the family and the trailer into the high country of the Gila Wilderness NM and we ended up going thru nearly a foot of snow in the pass up there. Since I was towing the trailer and it's a narrow winding road, I shifted to low and locked the center. I thought once or twice, that I should have finished the winch before that trip. That was over Memorial day weekend.

Alvin: centered location is perfect for visual but think for a moment how the winch and the line would operate under full load, first winching is dead centered line and the second is when te winch anchored some 30 degrees off center line.
Try to minimize the line rubbing against the fairlead as much as possible! The best position is where the rubbing is minimal. Remember each time the line rubs against the fairlead:
- the line gets used unnecessarily
- the heat is locally generated (rubbing under load) and this destroys line strength
- the fairled is getting worn

Alvin: centered location is perfect for visual but think for a moment how the winch and the line would operate under full load, first winching is dead centered line and the second is when te winch anchored some 30 degrees off center line.
Try to minimize the line rubbing against the fairlead as much as possible! The best position is where the rubbing is minimal. Remember each time the line rubs against the fairlead:
- the heat is locally generated (rubbing under load) and this destroys line strength
Howdy! While all this is true, how often do you make a perfectly straight, even pull? Most pulls will have the rope/cable rubbing either on the top or the bottom of the fairlead. I have heard that rope does not do much better on roller leads. I have seem some of those so smooth/rusted up that the steel cable couldn't make them turn. I wonder if a textured roller, with well greased bearings, would do any better? John

All of that was taken into consideration when I did this. In 4 years of wheeling the crap out of this rig, I have yet to need a winch, so I don't see this winch getting used much. As John said, how often would anyone ever winch in a straight line. I will never do any extreme winching. In other words I'm not overly concerned with shortening the life of the rope. I'm sure, as much as it will get used, that I will get more years out of the rope than I will out of my truck.
I got the winch with 2 things in mind, winching 350lb elk into a tree so I can clean and skin it, and pulling my arse out of the mud I retrieved the elk from.
I understand everything you're saying, I thought of all of that before.
And I can always move the fairlead down an inch or so, if I change my mind. ;)

inkpot: myself i do not drive offroad a lot but once a while i go for an OR rally where there is a hell of a lot of winching - my experience comes from there:
- roller fairlead is definitely better because gives less friction but it has these four corners where under substantial load the steel will behave resonably but the plastic line will get sqeezed and locked
- fixed fairlead for plactic line are mych better but try to find a really thick one where the rouding diameter is much better than in the standard ones.

I do not use winch often outside of real offroadning so i will preferably stay with the steel line for a while. In Poland we have more mud plastic line may get dirty and loose a lot of its original strength.
The best rollers are made here with very hard steel (las hard as the piston bushing :) )

Alvin: the idea behind a winch is to be able to use it when you need it. And according to well proven Marfy's Law it will be when you expect is least and are least prepared (sitting in the worst mud ever) - so if you want to have a chance get prepared. Heavy winching - successful - takes a strong winch and strong line - remeber that winching at the angle creates friction that decreases your working pull force.
The fairlead positioning indications are not mine but from MileMarker and these guys seem to have some understanding of recovery :)

of course you can move the failead lover when you need it there - how about at 2am in the night sitting in mudhole with water level just 10 inches over your fairlead ...

I love that mount!
I sometimes wish I had mounted mine on a receiver. A good connecter might be the big plug used on tow trucks for jumper cables. You could but one in the front and another in back.
A front-mounted winch is mostly for other people. The only time that I considered using mine for me, (the icy, sliding, white knuckle Nitto tire test of last winter), I needed to go back, not foreward.
Also, if you use a car trailer, the winch can be easily mounted on that as well. One winch, many uses!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom