Will frozen wipers do damage when wipers set to Auto? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had a thing happen today that got me thinking....wife drove the Land Cruiser yesterday and left the wipers on Auto. All fine with that except we had a storm come through and drop 6" of snow last night and froze the wipers to the windshield. I went to get ready to depart this morning and immediately started the engine to get the defroster going as I scraped ice off glass. Of course with the wipers frozen to the glass, nothing moved!

Here's the question - does the Land Cruiser have some sort of overload detection that will prevent the wiper motor from trying to power through this situation and ultimately break something?

Thanks in advance! (I did try a search first but it returned nothing)

Had a thing happen today that got me thinking....wife drove the Land Cruiser yesterday and left the wipers on Auto. All fine with that except we had a storm come through and drop 6" of snow last night and froze the wipers to the windshield. I went to get ready to depart this morning and immediately started the engine to get the defroster going as I scraped ice off glass. Of course with the wipers frozen to the glass, nothing moved!

Here's the question - does the Land Cruiser have some sort of overload detection that will prevent the wiper motor from trying to power through this situation and ultimately break something?

Thanks in advance! (I did try a search first but it returned nothing)
Have wondered this myself. As much as I try to remember to put every back to their start up conditions, I freely admit I don’t always remember, particularly when we get snow the news guys don’t mention as a possibility.

They seem to adjust their “zero” if there is snow piled up beneath them that prevents them from fully returning to their rest position but if that applies to the initial swipe as well, I don’t know.

Thanks guys. I'm hoping there's some sort of overload protection, but will try to be diligent about turning them "off" instead of "auto".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom