Will an H42 tranny from a 60 bolt up to... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
...my mid-70's bellhousing AND transfer case? I'm pretty sure the bellhousing is good, but I'm unsure if there were changes to the transmission when the split-case t-case was introduced that would make my old 1-piece t-case NOT work.

Thanks

While it will bolt to the bellhousing, the output shaft on the 60 version has more splines, so it won't fit the imput gear of the 1 piece J30 transfer case.

Well, I guess that settles that! Is the different spline count specific to the split-case transfer cases, or did any 60's come with one-piece cases and the same spline count as mine? The 4-sp I'm looking at came from an '84 truck.

Thanks!

I'm not an expert on this, but all of the FJ40 H42s I have seen are 16 spline, while the FJ60s are 19 spline.

What! Your not an expert on H42 trannies;p Glory Be, I am surprised:D

Naw, I have only seen seen a half dozen of them. I tried to take one apart and after that, I threw in the towel. I'm trough with them.

It's a vintage thing, not a model thing. The few '40s that were sold during the Split case years ('80 and on) had the saem tranny and T/C as the '60s.

But anyway, the split case T/C have a different bolt pattern between the tranny and the T/C as well as a different spline count.

Mark...

Thanks, guys. That keeps me from making a mistake.

How tough is it to swap out a bad 4-sp output shaft?

brider said:
How tough is it to swap out a bad 4-sp output shaft?

It is hardest tranny to disassemble that I have encountered. Much better to just get another good used tranny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom