1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will an H42 tranny from a 60 bolt up to...

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by brider, Aug 29, 2006.

1. brider

brider

...my mid-70's bellhousing AND transfer case? I'm pretty sure the bellhousing is good, but I'm unsure if there were changes to the transmission when the split-case t-case was introduced that would make my old 1-piece t-case NOT work.

Thanks

2. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

While it will bolt to the bellhousing, the output shaft on the 60 version has more splines, so it won't fit the imput gear of the 1 piece J30 transfer case.

3. brider

brider

Well, I guess that settles that! Is the different spline count specific to the split-case transfer cases, or did any 60's come with one-piece cases and the same spline count as mine? The 4-sp I'm looking at came from an '84 truck.

Thanks!

4. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

I'm not an expert on this, but all of the FJ40 H42s I have seen are 16 spline, while the FJ60s are 19 spline.

5. cardinal fang

cardinal fang

What! Your not an expert on H42 trannies;p Glory Be, I am surprised:D

6. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

Naw, I have only seen seen a half dozen of them. I tried to take one apart and after that, I threw in the towel. I'm trough with them.

7. Mark W

Mark W

It's a vintage thing, not a model thing. The few '40s that were sold during the Split case years ('80 and on) had the saem tranny and T/C as the '60s.

But anyway, the split case T/C have a different bolt pattern between the tranny and the T/C as well as a different spline count.

Mark...

8. brider

brider

Thanks, guys. That keeps me from making a mistake.

How tough is it to swap out a bad 4-sp output shaft?

9. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

It is hardest tranny to disassemble that I have encountered. Much better to just get another good used tranny.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">