will 33" tires fit a CN101? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landtank

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
landtankproducts.com
I picked up a CN101 trailer last year and am thinking about what i want to do with it.

I basically want to be able to use the spare of the 80 as the spare for the trailer as well.

So from what I've read I'm looking at swapping out the hubs to fit our bolt pattern and then I just need to match the tire size.

Does anyone know if a 33" tire will fit on one of these trailers without modifying the suspension?

landtank,
I'm getting ready to put 33s on our M101. We do a lot of Rocky Mtn trails and it just pays to keep a low COG. I did a lot of measuring and wanted to try NOT to do a SOA conversion.

If you look, you'll see the rubber bumpstop that is above the leaf spring. With it in place, you can measure from the bottom of the bumpstop to the bottom of the fender. It should be right around ~18 ". The trailer is out being sandblasted or I'd double-check those numbers, but you can confirm on yours.

Since that's more than half the diameter of a 33" tire, you've got just enough slack to run them. I haven't got the tires yet -- gotta get it painted -- so will be happy to have someone confirm my math on this.

Anything larger and you have to go with a SOA or do without fenders, which just isn't legal most places. In fact, getting the tire fully covered -- we're planning on 255/85 R16 tires -- in most cases requires doing something about fender width. I had wider fenders custom made to get the coverage it needs.

those are the same size tires I want to use. I got 3 - 16" split rims to use. Two for the trailer and one as a space saver spare on the truck.

I'm building a truck/trailer long distance setup for trips out west.

I figure the hitch might be if you get in some gooey gumbo type mud. It could get packed under the fenders, but I don't think it will be a problem. It's self-wiping as long as you maintain forward progress:p

Hey guys could you post up a photo of the frame on your trailers, I have an old willys pickup box that was made into a trailer and I need to redo the frame and suspension on it to get it licensed. Any help would be great.

here is the underside of mine. Koffer might recognize the trailer.

I've been searching on here about hub conversions and it looks like a standard hub/brake assembly for a pop up trailer will work, is that right?
026 (Medium).jpg
027 (Medium).jpg
028 (Medium).jpg

Rick,
The axle has what's called a 84 series spindle, so the camping trailer hubs will need to fit that. It's a 3500 lb capacity axle. I do know that new hubs with the correct LC stud pattern are reasonably priced, but mine came set up that way.

I used a complete bearing kit from Redneck Trailer Supplies, BK2-100. The bearings were Chinese, but seemed of good quality and fixed the ones side I used it on when repacking. The price was reasonable at $13.58. That at least gives you a cross reference to help with hub selection.

Landtank,
Keep searching MUD or go search on EXPO. One of the two has the part numbers and source for the hubs. I did mine a couple of years ago. Easy peasy. You even get to keep you parking brake as the replacement hubs are basically new brake drums. :bounce:

If I remember correctly the OEM tires are either 29 or 31. Looking at your pics you should be able to run a 33 with either no lift or minimal lift but you'll probably have to trim off the lower square part on the fenders.
Hope this helps.
m101 side shot.jpg

Does anyone know if a 33" tire will fit on one of these trailers without modifying the suspension?

I have 235/85/R16s (31.75") on mine without a SOA and they do fine. Just watch out for the front to back distance on the fenders. I like the look of skinny tires but if you go wide you also have to consider the possibility of the fender lip hitting the tire.

IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_2187.jpg

Thanks guys. I've been working on the wiring this weekend and have that about done.

There were two clip assemblies located near the back of the trailer on the underside of the frame. They looked to hold 4 poles or something similar.
Anyone know what they are used for?

Rick,
Gotta say, no idea!

I did go and look. Sure enough, a little bracket with 4 clips to hold something round about 3/4" to and 1" in diameter on each side of the frame.

I've read many of the posts on the M0101 CDN Yahoo list and haven't seen them mentioned.

Maybe bow stays to support the issue tarp so it sheds water?
:popcorn:

There were two clip assemblies located near the back of the trailer on the underside of the frame. They looked to hold 4 poles or something similar.
Anyone know what they are used for?

I think there for the wiring? Each clip would hold in all of the wiring in one spot. I want to say a lot of military wiring is always shielded with rubber tubing? Kinda like spark plug wires. I think?

kilo,
You may be right, these clips may have held the rubberized connector plugs. The wiring on our M101 was pretty well stripped out, so that stuff was gone and just the clips were left.

yep, 33's will fit without issue on a stock suspension cdn M101. you may want to stay with as narrow a tire though like a 255/85 or similar, and a narrow wheel..but i think your splits will solve the issue of an 8" 4.5BS wheel sticking out too far.

and to change to six bolt, just swap out the drums. i got mine from southwest wheel. comes with all bearings, races & seals. easy 5 minute swap...and still retains the oem ebrake.

the 2 clips hold the 4 rubber connections to the lamphousings.

looks like you got a nice setup...definitely makes long self sustained expeditions more managable

thanks guys. I'm planning on going to a 255/85R16 tire and use one of those as a common spare to carry under the truck.

Once I get the new tires on I'll see how far they stick out of the fenders. I'm hoping that if they do I can narrow the axle to keep the stock fenders on there.

Here's a pic of the trailer now that the BFG MT KM2 255/85 R16 tires are on.

I rechecked my clearance with the new tires on. There is 3.75" of clearance between the tire and bottom of the fender. There is 3.25" of clearance between the top of the axle and the bottom of the (hard) rubber bumstop. So I have a half inch to play with. I doubt the rubber bumpstop will compress that much under even the worst case scenario of load and driving.

They are covered just right by the custom fenders. I can get exact measurements if you'd like.

Now I just need to figure how to get proper lugnuts to hold the alloy rims on right. They're a different thread pitch than those on the 80, so I couldn't use them on the M101 like I'd hoped. Anyone know if there is such a thing as a FJ60 lugnut that would fit the alloy 80 rims? I'm not sure this is the exact problem, just gotta find the right fastener before we take it on any trips.
M101side33s.jpg
M101rear33s.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom