Will 2F Head fit `F` Engine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.fj40.co.uk
Just sent my 1974 `f` head to the machine shop to be told its scrap!! A large crack running through the exhaust port which has beeen stitched once before.
Im in the UK and spares are really rare but I can get a good 2F head, will it fit? and what about my `f` manifolds? will they bolt straight on? also the 2F head has no rocker cover so will my `f` one fit?
Thanks in advance.
John

John, the only issue I can see would be that the bore of a 2F is bigger than the bore of an F. You have the F and a half, oils like a 2F and has all the drillings of a 2F. The only difference is the bore. Headgasket selection might be a tossup.
GL
Ed :)

Rotor,
I don't know how much you want to spend on shipping but I may have an F head that I can sell from a '71. If you go with the 2F head and need a rocker cover I've got one of those as well!

Your manifolds will not bolt strait up. You will need a step-down stud, sold by SOR, becasuse the fasteners used to hold the manifolds on between the F and 2F are different sizes, the 2F studs and bolts are larger than the reliefes in the F manifolds are desigend for. This may help..click on item #2 in your year...you will see the option for the step stud..

http://www.sor.com/sor/cat044.tam?xax=26003&page.ctx=cat044.tam

Good luck!

-Steve

Steve
Do you reckon I could drill the `f` manifolds out to take the 2F studs?
Thanks
Rotor

Guys remember the 74 is a transition F, Oiling thru the head instead of with the copper line, so basically it is a 2Fdesign head.
I would think if the cahmbers are alike it would be a bolt on for the early 2F head.
Butch

don't I remember reading that putting a 74 head on a 2F motor ups your compression ratio?? Something about the smaller F-size combustion chambers?

If that's the case, wouldn't a 2F head on this 74 block result in a lower compression/lower performance?

There's also 2 different cumbustion chamber sizes for the 2f if I remember right, so he'd end up even lower compression depending on what year the 2f is from.

[quote author=Rotor link=board=1;threadid=10370;start=msg92677#msg92677 date=1074614173]
Steve
Do you reckon I could drill the `f` manifolds out to take the 2F studs?
Thanks
Rotor
[/quote]

I do not think that you could drill them out, becasue of the two seperate pieces of manifold and material make up, but you could use a carbide bit on a die grinder, and increase the diameter of the area that the studs pass through, if you do not have accsess to a machine shop and a mill...

What year 2F head are you looking at getting? A casting # would help too, I think that it is on the top of the cyl head, manifold side..Been a while since I have messed with this..

Good luck!

-Steve

Woddy and Folsom are both correct. I thought in 80 or 81 they went to the smaller combustion chamber head on the 2F, and flat top pistons. Wasn't there a cracking issue with those early closed chamber heads? Where is Rick D....

-Steve

81-87 rocker panel cover should work, BUT with relocated PCV outlet, and a huge "dent" for later model distributors that you don't have. Should work anyway, just thought I'd let you know the differences.

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=10370;start=msg92929#msg92929 date=1074643581]
81-87 rocker panel cover should work, BUT with relocated PCV outlet, and a huge "dent" for later model distributors that you don't have. Should work anyway, just thought I'd let you know the differences.
[/quote]

I think that he was talking about the rocker cover, not the side cover...

OE Part# Req for `F` head

Thanks for all your help guys, I have found a welding company that claim to be able to fix anything or they give you $400!
They estimate they do the repair for around $600 including all machining and fitting new valve seals.Not the best deal ,so if anyone has the OE Toyota part # for a bare `F` head please let me have it and I`ll find out if they are still available, I`ll also let you all know the price , that should be really frightening!
Thanks
Rotor

Hi guy's,

I have a 135F Siamese engine. I want to know if a 2f head would bolt straight on and increase power?
or even just work.

Last edited:
Hey guys, thought i might add to this convo

ran across this truck, started out as oiling issue on rocker arms having set up for 5 years in a warehouse...

i noticed the head was pristine, engine number was appropriate for year model

cleaned fuel system and carb, engine fired right up, runs like a top

no orings on the rocker ends
tube nut in lifter valley, had to loop welding wire around it to work it back up thru hole
no oil coming up thru oil tube, have no clue why this is an issue, pulling pan
and this

2f head on 1f engine, coolant leaking from oil galley in head.
whats odd is coolant was coming out of one side cover bolt hole, just a steady drip and this was not leaking until i loosen the rocker assembly

20230706_110158.jpg

follow up post,

come to find out the motor was 'rebuilt' just prior to this owner acquiring it, he could never drive it because of the oiling issue.

the no oiling issue for the rocker assembly, turns out they installed the cam bearings without lining up the oiling holes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom