1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will 2F Head fit `F` Engine?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Rotor, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Rotor

Rotor

Just sent my 1974 `f` head to the machine shop to be told its scrap!! A large crack running through the exhaust port which has beeen stitched once before.
    Im in the UK and spares are really rare but I can get a good 2F head, will it fit? and what about my `f` manifolds? will they bolt straight on? also the 2F head has no rocker cover so will my `f` one fit?
    Thanks in advance.
    John

2. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    John, the only issue I can see would be that the bore of a 2F is bigger than the bore of an F. You have the F and a half, oils like a 2F and has all the drillings of a 2F. The only difference is the bore. Headgasket selection might be a tossup.
    GL
    Ed :)

3. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

Rotor,
    I don't know how much you want to spend on shipping but I may have an F head that I can sell from a '71. If you go with the 2F head and need a rocker cover I've got one of those as well!

4. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Your manifolds will not bolt strait up. You will need a step-down stud, sold by SOR, becasuse the fasteners used to hold the manifolds on between the F and 2F are different sizes, the 2F studs and bolts are larger than the reliefes in the F manifolds are desigend for. This may help..click on item #2 in your year...you will see the option for the step stud..

http://www.sor.com/sor/cat044.tam?xax=26003&page.ctx=cat044.tam

Good luck!

-Steve

5. Rotor

Rotor

Steve
    Do you reckon I could drill the `f` manifolds out to take the 2F studs?
    Thanks
    Rotor

6. Texican

Texican s-Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Guys remember the 74 is a transition F, Oiling thru the head instead of with the copper line, so basically it is a 2Fdesign head.
    I would think if the cahmbers are alike it would be a bolt on for the early 2F head.
    Butch

7. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    don't I remember reading that putting a 74 head on a 2F motor ups your compression ratio?? Something about the smaller F-size combustion chambers?

If that's the case, wouldn't a 2F head on this 74 block result in a lower compression/lower performance?

8. folsom50

folsom50

There's also 2 different cumbustion chamber sizes for the 2f if I remember right, so he'd end up even lower compression depending on what year the 2f is from.

9. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=Rotor link=board=1;threadid=10370;start=msg92677#msg92677 date=1074614173]
    Steve
    Do you reckon I could drill the `f` manifolds out to take the 2F studs?
    Thanks
    Rotor
    [/quote]

I do not think that you could drill them out, becasue of the two seperate pieces of manifold and material make up, but you could use a carbide bit on a die grinder, and increase the diameter of the area that the studs pass through, if you do not have accsess to a machine shop and a mill...

What year 2F head are you looking at getting? A casting # would help too, I think that it is on the top of the cyl head, manifold side..Been a while since I have messed with this..

Good luck!

-Steve

10. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    Woddy and Folsom are both correct. I thought in 80 or 81 they went to the smaller combustion chamber head on the 2F, and flat top pistons. Wasn't there a cracking issue with those early closed chamber heads? Where is Rick D....

-Steve

11. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

81-87 rocker panel cover should work, BUT with relocated PCV outlet, and a huge "dent" for later model distributors that you don't have. Should work anyway, just thought I'd let you know the differences.

12. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=10370;start=msg92929#msg92929 date=1074643581]
    81-87 rocker panel cover should work, BUT with relocated PCV outlet, and a huge "dent" for later model distributors that you don't have. Should work anyway, just thought I'd let you know the differences.
    [/quote]

I think that he was talking about the rocker cover, not the side cover...

13. Rotor

Rotor

OE Part# Req for `F` head

Thanks for all your help guys, I have found a welding company that claim to be able to fix anything or they give you $400!
    They estimate they do the repair for around $600 including all machining and fitting new valve seals.Not the best deal ,so if anyone has the OE Toyota part # for a bare `F` head please let me have it and I`ll find out if they are still available, I`ll also let you all know the price , that should be really frightening!
    Thanks
    Rotor