Why's your tire on the right? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sweet bumper/rack/ladder combo.

Great looking compound angles and design. I LOVE it when someone gets a super functional design that LOOKS SWEET TOO! I have a couple questions though:

1. What kind of spindle/pivot are you using for the swing arms?
2. Do you have any shots of the wrap around "rear fender area"
it looks like you used some tubing there, is that correct?
3. What is this thing setting you back? I have always wanted to get some custom stuff fabbed up but I always thought the cost would be prohibitive.

It looks great, keep us posted on the progress! :cheers:

Drew <><

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=8402;start=msg71228#msg71228 date=1070562074]
One reason is so it doesn't open into traffic.

In addition, a sneaky person can fit a NON-US FACTORY license lamp/mount assy to the LH side of the 80 series tail gate to give one that certain "factory" look.***

[/quote]

But if it opens to the curb side, if the person behind you parks too close, you can't walk around the open carrier to load your gear. The kaymar carrier doesn't open beyond the width of the vehicle, figuring the street is sloped right and that latch lock will keep it aligned fore/aft when open.

Also, having the carrier on the right side obscures vision in left-hand drive vehicles. I think the OEM carriers are on the right since their main markets are right-hand drive countries (Oz, S. Africa, Japan, etc.). Kaymar makes their bumpers w/ both left and right hand pivots. The reason why you don't see the left pivot on the 80 often is it's really not imported into the US (I think MAF imports the deluxe kaymar w/ left or dual pivot, but standard kaymar with right or dual pivot). So you could always buy a dual pivot bumper w/ left side carrier (same carrier for the 60/80).

Drew and all...
No more pics until I go to the shop around christmas/new year. It's a couple hours away from me....

Those pics are all I have even seen....the guy knows his shiot, so I don't care what he creates...it's gonna be sweet.Everything I've seen him do looks sweet, refined , functional and STOUT....

It aint Cheap...same price as a Slee... I can't even mention it....I'm trying to forget about it....xmas to MYSELF.....Screw the Family!!!

Well my wife drives the rig mostly...so she gets the benefit of having a kick ass rig...and now my kids can climb all over it without using the darn windows....

photo,
I have to say that thing looks a lot like my preliminary drawings for my hind tuck. would love to get a look at the plans for that or at least some really good photos with the included angles for the rear face drop and the under lip.
Dave

Fellas,
I was at 4x4labs a couple weeks ago getting some work done on my tire carrier and I saw the bumper in person. It was on an 80 (don't know if you've seen the 80 with the mat-tracks, but it was that one -- minus the tracks that day).

I can vouch that it is a sweeeet bumper. Luke showed me how he planned on installing the ladder. Since he's doing all the work in-house, he'll do it which ever way you want. And he does do VERY NICE work.

You'll be getting a nice set up!

As for where to put the spare...I don't think it matters. When I was Kaymar shopping, I thought about putting the tire on the left side -- thinking that I would get a better view of what's going on behind me, but I've found that having a tire anywhere in the rear will block your vision. I've gotten used to having my tire on the right side. I don't even think about it when I look back any more.

I don't mind having the thing blocking access when para parking. You just get used to it being there. If I could give one bit of advide, it would be that you want to make sure the swing arms are not any longer than they need to be. I've had a few occasions where I could not open my hatch because there wasn't enough room to swing the tire arm clear to open the top hatch (let alone the bottom hatch) when there was a car parked close behind me.

One more thing...make sure the latching system used is easy to handle. Better yet, make sure you can unlatch and latch with only one hand. Mine does -- but I've seen others that require both hands to close and latch.

Just my thoughts and comments.

Hey Doug,

Are you the Doug on the NorCal, 80's list, I'm assuming so. I'll be in grass valley in 2 weeks to have that bumper installed hopefully....Are you going on the run in January, I believe there was talk about Eagle lakes again, and Grouse ridge. Luke has been very helpful, wish I was a tad closer so I could jam over and see the work in progress....As you said, I'm sure it's sweet!!! Me wants it NOW!!!!! ha ha

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom